Easy Pom Pom Bunny : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Easy Pom Pom Bunnies

| February 6, 2013 | 31 Comments

Easter Bunny Pom Poms

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting to make pom poms with the kids for absolutely ages. I wasn’t sure when they would have the dexterity to do it. So, when I saw the fun “fork poms poms” making the internet rounds, I thought the same principle could be applied to a piece of card and thus make for really easy pom poms for the kids to manage. Well, Red Ted (almost 5yrs) JUST about managed, with a little help. And Pip Squeak (3yrs).. well.. she just played with the bunnies I had already made. So. Do make these if you have younger kids, but expect to help them (which I think is totally fine by the way!).

Bunny Pom Poms

Materials: wool, piece of flexible card, nail scissors

Bunny details: felt, PVA and googly eyes

Easy Pom Pom

1) Cut a rectangle from your card – remember you Pom Pom will be approximately double the width of your card. We used one approx 1.5cm wide. Then cut a strip of wool to length ways across the card. You will need it later to tie your Pom Pom. Take your ball of wool and start wrapping.

Pom Poms for kids

2) Red Ted (almost 5yrs) managed it quite well, though got into a bit of a muddle towards the end of the length. Pip Squeak (3yrs) didn’t get the hang of it, but we will try again! Wrap it round until you have about 3-5 layers of wool.

Easy pom pom making

3) Take the piece of wool that went length wise earlier and tie it as TIGHT as you possibly can.

Pom Pom Crafts

4) Snip the OPPOSITE end with a pair of scissors. We have  a pair of nail scissors that we use for crafting. I did this for the children.

Once all snipped. I found it best to add ANOTHER piece of wool around the center of the PomPom to make sure that it is really tight.

PomPom

5) Trim your pom pom to make it nice an even.

Bunny PomPom for kids

6) Decorate to make a bunny. Above shows the shapes we cut out of felt and with lots PVA we glued them all on and let dry. DONE!

Easter Bunny

Be sure not to forget your cute pom pom bunny’s tail!

kids wool craftsJoin the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art  or share your craft ideas on Pinterest – I will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

Have you made any pom pom creatures? Would love to what you came up with!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Easter, How To's, Kids Craft, Spring

1. jo says:

ooh these look really easy! We did regular pom poms with H a year ago – I never thought it might be too difficult (she’d have been 2.5!) – but these will be even easier (she did have help)

I’m just getting ready a post on finger knitting, as she was incredibly good at that – she tells me (at almost 3.5 that she’s “ready for needles now” – I think NOT!

H is poorly today, so I reckon we’ll give these a go!

Oh hope that H is better soon!

My kids are dying to have a go at knitting, but don’t have the co-ordination yet. Will have to start on finger knitting soon!!!

2. So cute Maggy, my children always pull my Pom Poms apart though. xx

Ha yes, there is that problem Emma – I think adding that “second tie” after you have cut it open does help… but do know that to some children this still isn’t a hinderance!

4. jo says:

Aw thank you!

We’re having a Mary Poppins morning (and another idea.. make a picture and we’ll ‘jump’ into it and pretend we’re there – got to love Disney for getting my imagination going, let alone H’s!)

I added my finger knitting page I put up, I’m not entirely sure what we’ll make, but it’s fun!

5. They are gorgeous – I want to make some NOW!!! (will have to be pink bunnies as no white wool)

NOTHING wrong with pink bunnies!!!!

7. artsy_momma says:

They are so cute!!! The little tail.. he, he :) We made Valentine’s Day ones that sort of look like these.

8. Claire says:

You’re so talented! These would be perfect as a go along to the many bunny books we own. In fact glued onto lolly sticks they’d make great puppets! Yup, I’ll be doing this in the not too distant future! Thanks for hosting, and thanks for sending me your badge!

9. Roopa says:

Oooh these are adorable! Love the pom poms that kids can make. I have never made one myself, so Putti and me will both be trying together :)

10. Great Link-Up as usual Maggie, some bunny loves ya :)

11. These are SO cute! I just love them. Brings up deeply buried yet super sweet memories of doing this myself as a kid.

12. Alvin Payne says:

Fantastic ideas for holidays! Even Easter. Those bunnies are great. Thanks for posting the instructions and photos. Do you have any other ideas for kids art sets that could help make these? They are fantastic. Keep posting. Love it.

13. Love the ideas in your party, thanks! Off to go exploring!

14. Jennifer says:

They are gorgeous! I really want to make pom poms with the kids too, I will have to try your method.

15. These are super cute!! I wanted to make some pom poms and now I have an excuse to!

16. Sian says:

Wow, they look so easy! Great for chicks too : )

17. Judy says:

Adorable as always…can’t wait to see if my almost 6 year old can manage this.

18. Those bunnies are just the cutest things ever! Pinned!

19. becky says: