We love DOGS!! And we love easy Dog Crafts for Kids. With the Year of the Dog rapidly approaching.. I am so excited to welcome the fabulous Shelly from Creating Creatives share this gorgeously easy 3d Dog Mask Craft with you today. Shelly, in my eyes is the Queen of Paper Plate Mask and she has a fantastic range of Mask Designs on her blog – she first wrote about them as her Kids Halloween Costume Mask and then made more and more designs. Scroll to the end of her posts for Paper Plate Bunny Masks, gorgeous Paper Plate Leaf Masks, Pokemon, Cats and more. Today, we are lucky enough that she shares this adorable (and you will find EASY!!) Paper Plate Dog Mask with you. Shelly also has an amazing Instagram Feed, so do hop over, check it out and if you like what you see, hit that “follow” button!!
These lovely 3d Dog Mask DIYs make great additions to any Chinese New Year 2018 celebrations!
Paper Plate 3D Dog Mask DIY – Materials:
The list below may “LOOK LONG”, but in essence, we are working with a Paper Plate per dog and some bits and pieces to bring it all together. As with all are our crafts there is no “One way” of doing things and you can adapt the craft to see what materials you have at home!!!!
- Paper Plate
- Paint and paint brush
- Pom Pom
- Hot Glue
- School Glue
- Utility Knife
- Hole Punch
- Mask Template Printable
How to make a 3d Dog Mask from Paper Plates
Get your basic dog shapes in place
–> Get the MASK TEMPLATE HERE <—
- Print and cut out the mask template.
- Trace the template onto the back of a paper plate. This is a guide and doesn’t need to be perfect, try and match the curved edge of the template to the curved edge of the plate then trace. Make sure to trace the bottom of the mask, the eyes and the 3 slits at the top of the mask.
- Cut your mask from the plate with scissors.
- Next, cut the slits at the top of the mask, making one cut straight down the line.
Cut & Glue
- Using a cutting mat, cutout the eyes of the mask with a utility knife.
- On the back of the other half of the paper plate, trace and cut out both dog ears.
- Your pieces should now look like this.
- Hot glue the top of the plate together. Slightly overlap the right side over the left side to give it some shape. Do this for all 3 slits at the top of the mask.
Start decorating your dog mask
- Paint your mask face and ears. This is the fun part! Paint it all one color, or give it spots. We added a tiny bit of yellow to our white so it wasn’t so stark white, an painted the face. Then we gave this pup an even ring around his eye, but a wobbly one might be fun too! Finally we painted his ears black, but I also think they’d be fun with some spots.
- Now it’s time to add glitter. Feel free to skip the glitter part if you’re not into it. We suggest putting a folded piece of paper in a tray to catch the glitter and easily put the excess back into it’s container. Put a little bit of glue where you’d like the glitter to go. Then sprinkle with glitter, tap off any excess and let dry. We added some spots of glitter to the ears and around the eye.
- Once the glitter is fully dry, hot glue the ears onto the face. Have a play around with where you want them before gluing.
- Hot glue a pom pom on for a nose. We decided to give this one a sparkly nose.
Finishing touches to your 3d dog mask diy
- Punch a hole on either side of the mask and string through with elastic.
- Enjoy your finished mask!
More wonderful Dog DIYs here:
And if you are celebrating Chinese New Year 2018 and the Year of the Dog, you may also love our more generic Chinese New Year Crafts here: