Oh we do love a simply DIY. Today, we are sharing with you a super easy felt flower RING DIY. Yes, we are getting to that age, where making DIY jewellery is very appealing. We have a massive set of rings already.. but haven’t had a chance to share all the tutorials with you yet (having said that, you can preview the majority of the rings here!! I can’t decide which is my favourite.. love them all).
This Felt Flower Ring was inspired by a detail in this lovely Doll Making Book (US/ UK aff links – do check it out!! Seriously gorgeous). What I really LOVE about this flower ring, is that it is a simple sewing projects for slightly older kids AND I used a bit of elastic for the “ring” – ie unlike many jewellery DIYs, you don’t need any specialist equipment – e.g. ring clasps, strong glue etc. (though some of my other Ring DIYs DO need those..). As mentioned, I do think this is a slightly advance sewing project (as it is a little fiddlier… it isn’t difficult, but harder for small hands), so if you are looking for Sewing Projects for Beginners, we do have a great resource for you here too!
Felt Flower DIY Ring – Materials
- Felt scraps – I used light pink and navy blue
- Sewing thread
- Pink felt tip pen/ sharpie
- Thick elastic
As mentioned – I saw a little felt flower in this lovely Sew Your Own Doll book – I confess, I didn’t follow their instructions, but I got the look for the Felt Flower from here –
If you love making dolls, I can highly recommend this book, it is simply GORGEOUS. My daughter is in LOVE with it and wants to make them all. Love love love. You can get your own copy here – US/ UK (aff links)
How to make Felt Flower Ring DIY
Yes yes yes.. another little YouTube video for you.. but as per usual, I have also added some written instructions for you below!!! I hope the combination of both is helpful. This is a slightly different video than usual.. as I wasn’t REALLY intending to create a video for you, but decided to film myself whilst making “just in case”…… so you will see me “working in progress”, with tweaks to the design as I go along, as well as a “voice over” explaining what I am doing. Hope you find this Felt Flower Ring video helpful!!
How to make Felt Flower Ring DIY – Step By Step Written instructions
The petals of your felt flower
- Start off by cutting out 5 petal shapes in the light pink felt. I ended up trimming them down later.. but made them fairly large to begin with. The petal shape is sort of oval with a dip in the side.
- Then arrange the 5 petals in a felt flower shape and see if you like the look of them together. You may need to trim them a little to not make them TOO big for you hand. Though I do love an oversized ring!
- Sew the petals carefully together. I probably only used 2-3 stitches per petal pair.
Adding a “ring” to your felt flower
- Next, take your elastic and knot it into a circle that comfortably fits your ring finger. The elastic I used is quite thick.
- Get your dark pink felt tip pen and add some flower details.
- Trim the knot end (but not too much so that the knot doesn’t come undone).
- Carefully poke it into the centre of your 5 petals. Check for size.
- Sew the elastic into place.
Finishing off your felt flower ring
- Cut a navy blue felt flower centre and place over the top of the elastic. Make sure it fits nicely onto your flower but also covers the elastic.
- Sew the blue felt flower centre into place.
Your DIY felt flower ring is now FINISHED!!! I hope you like it!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE wearing mine and it features in many of my YouTube videos!