Here is another quick post for you.. we shared our Winter Thaumatropes earlier this month.. and new that they would be just PERFECT as a little New Year’s Eve Printable too. Turn your little Optical Illusion Toys into New Year’s Eve celebrations by decorating the Snowglobe design with 2018 as well as adding some Lucky Charms. I have talked about “Lucky Pigs” from Germany before.. and reckon that these make perfect little addition to New Year’s Eve Crafts for kids. We also added some star and party confetti to the “snowglobe” so that when you play with it, it shines and sparkles. Lots of extra details for a fun filled New Year’s Eve for kids!!
This is a great addition to our New Year’s Eve Count Down Activities (includes a fantastic set of printables, to help you prepare and enjoy the LONG Evening with the kids and welcome in the New Year. Many of the activities can be done as New Year’s Day activities too!). And more great New Year’s Eve Crafts here.
New Year’s Eve Thaumatrope Materials:
- Your Printable
- Pens (those of you interested in my watercolour pencils.. I have these US/ UK(affiliate links))
- Glue stick
- String (we love good old Baker’s Twine – get some here (US/ UK) (affiliate links))
As mentioned before, these Thaumatropes are great as a Christmas Thaumatrope DIY and as a more general Winter Thaumatrope DIY… just choose the printables accordingly.. and make the Design Your Own Thaumatrope Christmassy or Wintery or even for Valentine’s Day too!
How to make a Thaumatrope
A DIY New Year’s Eve Thaumatrope Video is COMING SOON!! In the meantime, we have a video showing you how to assemble the penguin one.. the only difference is that we glued down some stars!
How to make a Thaumatrope – Step by Step instructions
You can make your New Year’s Eve Thaumatrope WITHOUT printables if you wish.. what you need to bear in mind is, that your drawings and images must align. I have done this for you with the handy printables. Why not have a go at the printables and once you “get” how the two sides work together, have a go at creating your own from scratch? Draw side one… then overlay it with a sheet of paper and draw side two…
The Penguin Thaumatrope is one of our Cut & Colour Winter Thaumatrope Printables
- Colour in your thaumatropes. Remember there is a set to print, where you can design your own snowglobe Thaumatrope. If making these before Christmas, add lovely Christmas themed drawings to your Thaumatrope.. if making these in the New Year why not as some great Winter Thaumatrope themes… or even turn it into a Valentine’s Snowglobe.. with some raining hearts?
- NOTE: When designing your own snowglobe, I have labeled the printable with “top” this is the top of your snowglobe and you have do your drawing the right away round.. else your snowglobe contents will be upside down.
- Now cut our your circles.
- Glue your front and back together. NOTE: your front as to be “right way up” and your back has to be “upside down”. Also you MUST aline the little black dots, in order for it all to work nicely.
- Make some holes with sharp scissors/ hole punch or a needle using the black dots that are there as markers.
- Thread through a piece of Baker’s Twiner (around 10-15cm is nice, but you don’t need much!)
Start twirling your New Year’s Eve Thaumatrope (or Winter Thaumatrope and say AAAAAAAAHHHHH).
Enjoy!!! And of course wishing you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
More fantastic New Year’s Eve Countdown Activities here:
More wonderful New Year’s Eve Crafts here: