What would Valentine’s Day Crafting be without a super duper cute Toilet Paper Roll Craft for kids?! We have the lovely Kate from The Craft Train again today (you will remember her from her fantastic Paper Roll LOVE BUGS a while ago) and today she shares her amazing and easy Toilet Paper Roll Love Birds craft. Too cute. Such an adorable Valentine’s Day Craft for kids to make. Over to Kate!
Paper Roll Love Birds
I love making Valentines crafts and I love easy paper roll crafts, so I had a lot of fun designing these cute paper roll love birds for Red Ted Art.
They are made using a “squash and cut” technique, similar to our paper roll dinosaurs which have always been popular. Just squash, trace, cut and pop back into shape – then of course you need to decorate which is always to fun part.
Here is how you can make one…
To Make Your Paper Roll Love Birds you will need:
- Paper towel roll
- Acrylic paint
- Googly eyes
- Lead pencil
- Craft glue
- The printable template
How to Toilet Paper Roll Love Birds with Kids
- Cut the template shape out following the black outline
- Flatten your paper roll, and lay the template on top of it
- Trace the shape with a lead pencil, if the template is too narrow for your paper roll simply extend the edges a little, making your outline go right to the fold’s edge
- Cut the shape out whilst your roll is still flattened
- Pop back out into a cylinder shape once again
- Using one of the folded offcut scraps, cut out a small beak
- Paint your bird. I painted the body one flat colour, and the tail a different colour. Allow the underlying flat colours to dry before adding more detail. In the meantime you can paint the beak.
- Once the flat colours have dried, paint a heart on the bird’s chest and spots on his tail (I used a q-tip for the tail).
- Glue two googly eyes and the beak in place and paint some rosy cheeks to finish off.
Of course, you can never have just one lovebird can you? He would be sure to get lonely so you’ll need to make him a matching girlfriend – it is Valentine’s day after all!
Hello I’m Kate. I may be over 40 but I still love to spend time mucking around with glitter, paint, cardboard and glue so I’ve made it my full time job over at The Craft Train. Join me for lots of crafty adventures and fun activities for kids. Find kate on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest too!
You might also like:
Fancy some more great Valentine’s Day Crafts for Kids? Take a look here:
We also have an EXTENSIVE collection of Toilet Paper Roll Crafts here: