Valentine’s Gift Plant with a Secret Message
Hello! I am Rodrigo Macias, the Early Childhood Teacher behind Box of Ideas, a website full of inspiration for early learning activities.
I am happy to be back on Red Ted Art for the third time in their now traditional love series. Last year’s idea featured adorable cupids, the year before that was about cats and dogs, so this year I thought featuring the other type of creatures that we love caring for: Plants!
Notice that the template was originally designed to be stuck to a plant pot, but it can really be used in lots of different things that can hold any type of gifts (like boxes, jars, etc.)
Why gift a plant on Valentine’s Day?
It may sound obvious, but here goes: plants and relationships of any kind need care and attention to stay alive. Gifting a plant to someone who you care about is a good way of having a physical reminder of the need to nurture the relationship.
You could get two or more plants of the same kind and everyone that gets a plant can bring it home to look after it, just like everyone involved in any relationship has to chip in to keep it going.
What you need to make your Secret Message Hearts
- The heart with a padlock template by Box of Ideas
- Plant in a pot
- Glue stick
- Anything to decorate your heart (felt tips, coloured pencils, etc.)
- A tiny bit of blue tack
The secret message heart template comes in three different sizes so you can choose the one that’s right for your plant friend.
How to make a DIY gift Plant with a Secret Message
Print out the heart with a padlock template.
Decorate it with the materials of your choice.
Cut out the template and fold it in half.
Write the secret message on the inside.
Stick the back part of the folded heart to the plant pot.
Use a bit of blue tack to keep the message “locked”.
That’s it! Super easy and it looks great!
Ideas of short Valentine’s Day messages that you could write in your heart:
- Let’s be friends forever!
- You make my days shine
- You are my BFF
- I’ll always be there for you
- You can count on me
More ideas with printables from Box of Ideas:
- Cute Valentine’s Day Bulletin Board Idea – A collaborative Valentine’s day bulletin board idea where the students write something they love on a simple Valentine craft activity. It also makes a great Valentine’s day classroom door decoration!
- 3D Cupid Valentine’s Day Card & Gift – Cupid-themed Valentine’s Day idea that can be used to practice scissors skills and makes a great gift for Valentine’s Day.
- Morning Greeting Choices – Morning greetings signs for Kindergarten and video examples of teachers using a morning greeting choices display in their classroom.
See all our Printable Valentine’s Day Ideas here: