How to.. make a Paper Flower (from newspapers!) - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to.. make a Paper Flower (from newspapers!)

| April 30, 2010 | 27 Comments

Hurray! Guest Post day is here!! Today’s “How to” is brought to you by the lovely Nicole over at “Made by Nicole” – as you know – I love paper craft and I love using recycled materials. Finally, a use for all those “junk mail” newspapers and magazines that come through the door… So…ed Ted

How to make Paper Flowers:

These also look great on wrapped presents in lieu of a bow. When we were kids we’d make dozens from newspaper and attach them to our barrettes, headbands, make costumes with them – they’re so fun.

This is so easy it feels almost silly to make a tutorial on it but just in case you aren’t familiar with the technique, here goes:

1. Get ten pieces of thin (not card stock) two sided paper – anything from newspaper to fancy patterned paper works. I used book pages

2. Stack them up and cut out a circle.

3. Cut spokes into the paper. I made this pic big so you can see what I mean.

4. When you’re done it should look like this

5. Separate you circles. This step is vital as it won’t fluff if they’re stuck together

6. Re-stack pile

7. Staple through the center of the stack

When you’re done it should look like this:

8. Don’t panic. I want you take your nice little stack and crumple it in your fist. Trust me, it’ll be okay.

9. Now do it again a few times

10. Voila! You did it! Told you it was easy!

11. But we’re not done yet. Find the back of the staple. You might lose some petals doing this – no biggie.

12. Press the back of the staple side down against your table to make a flat bottom

Some Options

Sprayed With Glimmer Mist:

Sprayed from mister with water and dye re-inker and added a button:

All Done:

Tip: These are VERY dimensional. If you want something flatter use less paper.

——————

Here is my first ever attempt using 10 random pages from a freebie magazine - I was lazy and didn’t use a button, just a scrap of paper for the centre. I think the button is MUCH prettier. I just wanted to have a “quick” go and am pretty impressed with the result. Put a little more effort in and they are even prettie!!

My 1st Ever Flower from a Magazine - 5min to make!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: How To's, Paper Crafts, Recycling

1. Lina says:

I love the flowers! So cute and perfect to decorate birthday present and little gifts!

2. Nicole Maki says:

Thank you so much for posting my scrap paper flower tutorial.

They are so fun to make and yours turned out colorful and fantastic.

Great job!

3. Luschka says:

Those are lovely and ideal for decorations for crafty hand made gifts!

4. Ellie says:

I am yet to make these fab paper flowers as we have no newspapers! Am going to pinch some from my mum and dads tonight and make one or two :D

5. Saved By Love Creations says:

Great idea. I tweeted, facebooked and stumbled this post. I can’t sign up to follow you cause something is wrong with GFC at the moment, but I will be back to do so. Got you bookmarked. Blessings…

Saved By Love Creations

6. oh my gosh, these are FAB! i love this idea – gonna pinterest it :) happy weekend!

I still need to get my head around pinterest!!! Thank you for posting it!

8. love these, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

9. These are great! I love how full the flower looks.

10. Antonella says:

Love your flower tutorial, you make it so easy! I love flowers and really love these flowers made from the written word! I am stopping by from the Marvelously Messy Linky Party, I’ve linked up too.
    Hugs, antonella :-)

11. Debbie says:

CLEVER and simple!!!!!

12. Tee says:

I love this simple tutorial! The flowers turned out fantastic! Tee

13. tina says:

Hi! This flower is actually PERFECT for a project I’m doing right now, so thank you so much for sharing how!.. Have a great weekend! ~tina

14. Cindy says:

Your flowers are gorgeous! I love them, I will have to make some of those fabulous looking flowers, too!
    Hugs, Cindy

15. Rose McGuinn says:

I love these!!!! Never tried it before and now can think of no reason why not to!
    Rose

16. mummiafelice says:

wow, what a great idea! I love that you can look for interesting words ;) Very sweet!

Thank you for linking up to Handmade Thursday!

17. nicole says:

Going to do this with my girl scout troop and tie into recycling! THanks for the great idea! any thoughts on how to attach them to bobby pins?

18. Vic says:

This is wonderful! I use to make them up to the staple and just twisted and turned the petals. Never thought of squishing them.LOL. Great Thanks a million! Happy New Year!

19. becky says:

Gorgeous even I could do this!!!

20. Jeanine Fox says:

Love these! How are the buttons attached? Are they glued? Thought about trying to lay the ribbon across the top and capturing with the staple, then tying through the button.