story + Art = great stART - Shapes That Roll & Monster Cards - Red Ted Art's Blog

story + Art = great stART – Shapes That Roll & Monster Cards

| July 28, 2010 | 40 Comments

We recently received our “Shapes That Roll” book. One of the other wonderful mummy blogs reviewed it in one of their stART projects, but I have to confess – I cannot remember quite who it was! Sorry. Would have loved to have linked back to you.

Anyway.

Shapes That Roll

Shapes That Roll, by Karen Nagel & Steve Wilson. Reading age 4 yrs- 8 yrs. Read together age 1.5yrs – 3.5yrs. The book is ADORABLE! At first I thought it would be nice “shapes” book to have, but it is much more than that. It is lovingly illustrated and printed in the most high quality manner, which makes all the difference. It even arrived with tissue paper between every page (which will come in handy in one of our craft sessions). We are guided through the book by Square, Circle and Triangle, who show us all about “Up” and “Down”, “Here” and “there”. About how some “slant” and “some don’t”. Which you can “roll” and which you can  “stack” and where we find shapes in every day life (a house or a fruit or a star). And this only the beginning… so lots of fun. Lots of colours. Lots to discuss. Nice shiny bits too. We love this book. And much more than I expected!

To our craft activity. Another simple one and easy one to do at home in small spaces:

Monster Greeting Cards.

Shapes: I cut out lots of shape – I let Red Ted choose which colours and shapes. I had some different textures – corrugated card and foam to make it a little different.

Sticking: Red Ted then did lots of sticking. On the last one he discovered it was fun to stick shapes on top of each other. We then added google eyes. Whilst doing the sticking we talked about the shapes and it’s colours.

Drying: Red Ted insisted that we dry it on our “art washing line”. It did mean that everything shifted a bit, but I let him, as he was “so proud” of his work and he apparently really enjoys his washing line. So on they went.

Making up the card: I cut out monster shapes, using Red Ted’s google eye placements as a rough idea for a head and then we stuck them on some re-used card (We cut down some old ring binder dividers with my guillotine – Red Ted’s favourite bit).

Now Granny is going to get another card through the post! Hurray!

For more kids’ crafts check out the full list here.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Card making, Father's Day, Kids Craft, Paper Crafts

Sites That Link to this Post

1. I’m Getting Crafty! Monster Cards | September 25, 2010
  2. Gen X Moms Blog - Life as a mom over 30 | October 18, 2010
  3. Two Year Olds: 30 Activities for Having Fun - Kids Activities Blog | June 27, 2013
  4. 40 handmade card ideas for kids to make | October 28, 2013
  5. 20+ Ways to Play With Shapes » The Pleasantest Thing | February 10, 2014
  1. A very groovy project – a great way to have fun and lots of chat about shapes :)

2. Cute book and GREAT project!

3. Christy says:

Great project! I want to read this book soon. I remember that someone blogged about the book, but I can’t remember who either.

4. April says:

Those are the cutest little monsters I have seen!

5. Janelle says:

This would be a perfect craft for my toddler. Thanks for the review of the book and the idea!

It is really sweet how excited Red Ted gets to “see his work of art” being posted to Granny or Auntie :-)

6. Michelle says:

What a cute project! We actually read this book and used it for one of our stART projects awhile ago.

I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the book and make such an awesome project inspired by it!

Thank you for sharing and linking up to stART :0)

Ah, of course!!! :-) thank you for solving the mystery!! Have bought a few of your recommendations already!! x

7. What a great craft for little hands! I hate it when I can’t remember who blogged about this or that book. :)

8. I love how you cut them out, to add them to the card!

9. Very cute! My grandkids would just love this…

10. teachingyoungchildren says:

I like how you enhanced Red Ted’s Art by making monsters out of his collages – very creative. The book sounds pretty interesting too.

11. I saw that book when it was reviewed too and now I really want to find it after seeing the cute project you came up with using it. I love seeing all these great projects and books.

12. JDaniel4's Mom says:

These look wonderful. I love how you combined projects.

13. sherry says:

What a fun project. I will have to do this with my grandsons the next time they come over. We are always looking for new and fun projects. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice weekend, Sherry

14. Another great project! Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

15. Staci Johnson says:

Those are sooo cute, and what a fun project to do with kids:) PS> Come stop by blog today and check out my giveaway:)

16. J. Hill says:

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

17. Bridgette says:

Nice to have you join us for Anything Related! ~Bridgette

18. I will have to keep an eye out for that book. It looks like it was a fun learning activity that my daughter would like! Thank you for linking to It’s Stinkin’ Cute Craft Thursday!

19. Hello! I love all your book reviews and kiddie crafts. I have featured this on my blog {I have a special treat for you too!} Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

20. Audra says:

Perfect. Another project to do with my girls! Thanks

21. amysb963 says:

This is a super fun, easy and creative idea! Thanks for joining us at “AP Tuesdays!” @ New Nostalgia! Hope to see you again tomorrow!

22. Jenn says:

What a great activity! Just wanted to let you know I featured you on Tot Tuesdays this week!

Fabulous! Thank you so much! Did see it… must check if there is a badge to grab. Off out now for the day, but will do this tonight!hank you o much for the feature – really appreciated!!

23. Rachel says:

The cards turned out so cute! I will have to check out that book, it looks like so much fun!