story + art = great stART - Lost & Found, Oliver Jeffers - Red Ted Art's Blog

story + art = great stART – Lost & Found, Oliver Jeffers

| August 11, 2010 | 45 Comments
I am on a mission to read this book as often and regularly as possible over the next few months, as our local children’s theatre (Polka in Wimbledon) is doing a special under 3s productions of this come Christmas. Tickets have been purchased and I can’t wait to take Red Ted! And I want to make the experience “easier” for him by making sure he knows the story well!

xlost and found craft

Lost and Found Lost and Found, by Oliver Jeffers.

In the UK Oliver Jeffers has quickly established himself as a modern day “children’s classic author”. I don’t know anyone, who does not adore his books. His stories are simply too cute and quirky and his drawings and paintings gorgeous. Some of you may have noticed that I did a VERY short review of this book a while back – sorry for the duplication!

Anyway… what is the book about? The books is a lovely story of friendship. One day a little boy finds a penguin on his doorstep. The little boy is concerned that the penguin is not happy and needs to go home, so sets off on a journey to find its home. They end up going on a marvellous adventure on the open sea to get the penguin to the South Pole… only to find… well, I wouldn’t want to give the end away. If you haven’t already read this book, you simply must!

The Craft project – More Recycling

You know me and loo rolls… well, not only loo rolls make great craft material. I decided to do some more recycling, by using some of my old deoderant roll ons and acryclic paints (poster paint would crumble off). They are marvellously PENGUIN SHAPED!

We made one each, so that Red Ted could copy. Well, I painted the blue and white on mine and let Red Ted stick the googley eyes on them. I restrained myself from touching up his “white tummy” and I let him do some extra painting – you will see a third little friend appear in the final photo (Red Ted refers to him alternatingly as “Boy” and “Monster” – probably thanks to the Monster Cards a few weeks ago).

It was a great lesson in patience for Red Ted as we had to let things dry at each step!

lost and found craft

Isn’t the pleasure on his face on seeing the final product priceless? He was SOOOO chuffed to have his penguins and just wanted to cuddle them. But we had to wait for the eyes and beak to dry… and at bedtime we had to revisit the penguins and the book!

Another fabulously crafty penguin project is this one by Zoe over at Playing By The Book. I adore it! And one day we will make one of these too! Penguin craft

Have you made any Penguin Crafts?
Finished!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Recycling

Sites That Link to this Post

1. The Gallery – Yellow Lemons & Kindness Club – Recycle « Redtedart's Blog | August 12, 2010
  2. PLUS 2.4 » Blog Archive » Guest post with Red Ted Art- What to have in your child’s art box | April 26, 2011
  3. » Inspiration interview ~ Red Ted Art» | June 14, 2011
  4. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Kids Crafts: Cookie Cutter Christmas Cards & Decorations | November 16, 2011
  1. jfb57 says:

Just love the penguins! How clever of you! We use that brand as well!

2. I love this book. Great there’s a show coming. Will get tickets!

3. Robin says:

Cute cute! I love the recycling and these little guys are adorable. Thanks for linking up to upcycled Awesome #9. http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled9

4. That is the best recycling I’ve seen – like – EVER. Brilliant and it’s super cute!

5. Janelle says:

Those make such cute penguins…great recycling craft. We need to read some of Oliver Jeffers’ books. Thanks for the reminder.

6. Jackie says:

I love the recycled penguins. I am definitely going to bookmark this.

7. ebabeelikes says:

I absolutely love this book and love the illustrations and colours and everything about it. My little one is a bit young for it but it is on the buy soon list!

8. sunnyvale422 says:

What a great craft – I have never noticed that deo is shaped like penguins, you definitely have a wonderful eye for art. I like the end product too. We also enjoyed this book by Oliver Jeffers and some others. I personally is not a big fan of his drawings, but Anna loves both the story and the art.

9. I’m not familiar with this author, but this book looks cute! Great project, too!

10. Those penguins are too cute! Now I have to go look up chuffed, though :)

11. Wow! Really resourceful and adorable. We’ll have to look for this book.

12. Natasha says:

Very cute! I think my nephew would love this-I will make sure my sister sees this post!

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

13. JDaniel4's Mom says:

I love your penguins. What a great way to reuse something!

14. Amy says:

I am so glad you shared this one.. I want to do this also. Thanks..

15. Brandi says:

Those are great! I love that you recycled stuff! :) So inexpensive that way! Stopping by from Round Robin! :)

16. Jingle says:

this is divine… :)

17. Charmaine says:

A great project – your little boy looks like he had a great time!

18. Becky says:

That is so cute–I would love to make these with my preschoolers!

19. Chari says:

Hello…

What a clever idea! The book sounds wonderful and Red Ted’s penguin came out so cute! Bet he had a blast creating it! I also thought that reading the story and doing the art project is a grand idea for preparing him for the play! Love this post! Thank you so much for sharing it with us today for Sunday Favorites!

Warmest wishes…
    Chari @Happy To Design

20. Martianne says:

Fun, resourceful ideas!

21. Bridgette says:

Thanks for sharing your project at Anything Related! ~Bridgette

22. I love them… how totally cute, and I love that you recycled the items. As always thanks for linking to It’s Stinkin’ Cute Craft Thursday!

23. amysb963 says:

super cute!
    and so is that lil’ guy!!
    Thanks so much for linking up to “AP Tuesdays” @ New Nostalgia! Hope to see you again next Tuesday!

24. Thanks again for your FMBF link-ups! You’re right about the perfect shape of the deodorant bottles! I’m not familiar with this author, but we’ll have to look him up!

25. Audra says:

What a great idea for a deodorant roll on! They are the perfect penguin shape!
    Always love your “Story + Art = great start” projects!
    I’m going to have to check out this book! :)
    Thanks for sharing at Socialized with me Monday til Sunday!!

26. Rose says:

Im a pre-school teacher and i love this idea im going to use this idea on the letter P week and it so work because it goes with the name of my room

27. Linda Jordan says:

Penguins are a great idea! Have you tried pulling out the hair dryer. My kindergarten (twin) boys can use it with ease under my watchfull eye. Just set it on warm rather than hot.

28. We love that book and your penguins are absolutely awesome – the next time I’ve got an empty deodorant bottle I am absolutely going to make these with Small Child!
    Thank you for helping me celebrate World Book Day by linking up to my special penguin linky!