How To... make a No Sew Handprint Appliqué T-shirt - Red Ted Art's Blog

How To… make a No Sew Handprint Appliqué T-shirt

| October 8, 2010 | 23 Comments

After the fabulous Guest Post from Helen at Ickle Babe, I thought about what kind of T-shirt I could make for Red Ted and Pip Squeak. I wanted to make it very personal to them, but also recycle some of the materials I have lying around the house, amongst others The Englishman’s old shirt.

And then I had it: Handprint Tees!

So I then sat down and had a fiddle of what “Handprint” designs would look nice for a boy and a girl. For Red Ted I came up with a hedgehog! Here is how:

Materials: A T-shirt, Fabric, Bondaweb, Scissors, Paper (for templates), Pencil & Fabric Pens/ Crayons

1) Cut out some of your children’s handprints and have a play regarding a design you would like to do!

2-3) Depending on the design, you may want to attach the Bondaweb onto the fabric first, then cut out the hands. For my design however, it was nice to keep the fingers in line with the stripes of The Englishman’s shirts. Not wanting to waste any Bondaweb, I cut the hands out of the shirt first and then applied the Bondaweb (with another old shirt as backing). Make sure you apply the Bondaweb to the REVERSE of your pattern.

4) Peel of the Bondaweb back, arrange your appliqué and then iron with a damp cloth. Best to just rest the iron on top of the arrangement, so as not to move anything. Check all the parts, I had to add a little bondaweb to part of the head

5) Add any details with fabric marker and follow instructions for the marker (in my case, iron some more)

Done!

What I love about his, is that it got Red Ted (2.5yrs) really excited, so we made his own hedgehog. He is very much at the “copy” stage in art and this is a neat thing he can do! Needless to say, I did help him!

Why not check out my other How To’s here?

Linking, amongst other fabulous craft parties found here to Get Your Craft on.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: How To's, No Sew

1. JDaniel4's Mom says:

This is so cute. I love that the prints are from his actual hands. What a great way to remember his hand size later on.

2. This is SUCH a fab idea! So simple yet so unique. I really LOVE it :) XX

3. Miri says:

Very cute! Much cuter than just a handprint…very clever of you!

aaaah, thanks guys… was very fun making it! And seeing Red Ted’s reaction! icklebabe – thanks for the inspiration!!!

5. LOVE the hedgehog! What a great craft project! Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

6. Haley says:

Found this on Tatertots & Jello and it is SUCH an adorable idea! Its so original and creative. Love it!

7. Lamb says:

What an adorable hedgehog (and extremely cool shirt)! If you get a chance, I’d love for you to stop by & post this on Not “Baaad” Sundays with LambAround. The Linky should be up this evening :)

I will see yo tomorrow Lamb!

9. Deanne says:

Cool t-shirt, you could make all sorts of things with handprints!

10. Alessandra says:

Cute shirt, great idea!

11. NellaBella says:

Thanks for this! I love no sew projects.

12. Jen says:

So cute! I will have to make one for John!

13. Corinna says:

Totally cute!

14. Kathleen says:

That hedgehog it too cute! My Girl Scouts would love to make these! Thanks for sharing.

15. Robin says:

I love this idea and can not wait to start making some new t-shirts for my little man!

Thank you for joining me for Upcycled Awesome #17 over at http://www.thetshirtdiaries.com

16. That turned out super-cute. The striped shirt was just the thing.

17. Nikki says:

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute! Thanks so much for linking up at gettin’ crafty on hump day! :)

18. Great idea! Now you have got my brain turning on all the fun we could have with this!

Thanks for sharing at Brag Fest and I hope you keep linking up every Friday!

19. CK says:

Awesome! I love this idea!

20. Tricia says:

I love this idea. What a great way to preserve your kid’s handprints, and make an adorable shirt. It really is fantastic.

I’d love it if you’d share your top at our Top-toberfest celebration. I’m celebrating shirts (sewn, refashioned, embellished, ect) all wee long. Feel free to link this and any other tops.

Tricia

21. Sophia says:

What a clever idea! I like the stripe on the handprint and the actual size of his hand. I like reading your blog. You have many cute kids craft projects. I’ve done DIY projects and posted on http://www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to promote cool projects from your blog!

22. Oh my goodness, this is fabulous…. I think I’m going to have to pull L out of nursery. We just don’t have time to do all these brilliant things in the very few hours a week he has with me! What an amazing but simple idea.
    MJM x