Kids Get Crafty - Robots! - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Robots!

| December 1, 2010 | 30 Comments

Welcome to Kids Get Crafty. This week we have a craft chosen by Red Ted 2-3 weeks ago. It is (as is supposed to be!) based on a book we were reading: Harry & The Robots. When we had finished it, Red Ted jumped up and demanded to make Robots. Well Robot making does take some thought… and this is how we fared…

Don’t forget that this is also a link up party/ blog hop for all craftiness with and for children! Do take part. Do be inspired! Link up at bottom of post! Hooray!

Old posts welcomed. Grab a button and add it to your post or side bar. Please do NOT post things for sale or Giveaways!

The Book

Harry and the Robots (Book & CD) Harry and The Robots, by Ian Whybrow.

This is the story of Harry. He has a toy robot that breaks. His Granny sends the toy off to be mended and suggest they make some of their own whilst the robot is away. That night however Granny falls ill and is taken to hospital. Harry decides to make his own Robots and then sneaks them into hospital to help Granny get better! He makes LOADS in all shapes and sizes. Red Ted (3) thoroughly enjoyed the book, loved all the little robots and as mentioned above ran off and wanted to make his own.

The Craft

The book is actually a perfect inspiration – as there are indeed about 5 different robots that are all different and basically say “use what you have and let your imagination run wild”.

We made two robots on consecutive days as Red Ted enjoyed the process so much. I will tell you what we used to make them, but don’t worry if you don’t have the same materials – let your imagination and your materials take you somewhere different!

Robots

Pink Robot Materials: small box (a mug arrived in this), 4 Bubble bottles (finally a use!), a bubble blowing stick (for antenna), upside down yoghurt pot for head, 3 lids (one large, 2 small), googly eyes, pink arcylic paint, scissors, PVA glue and brushes

Robot Craft

Blue Robot Materials: a medium box (ours isn’t actually a box, the sides where “open”), 4 loo rolls, some corrugated card, 2 large lids, 10 small lids, googly eyes, blue arcylic paint, scissors, masking tape, PVA glue and brushes

We made the pink one first:

1) I made some holes for the arms and legs and stuck the bubble bottles in. Added a little glue to keep them in place – now the buttons are added at the very end, and we found with both robots, that they made the robots topple – i.e. the leg position needs to be different OR you can fill the legs or the box with rice/ stones or something to weigh it down? Just a thought for you to learn from my “mistakes”.

2) I asked Red Ted what colour he wanted and he shouted pink. He has a REAL thing about me not mixing paint, so I mixed red and white in the kitchen were he couldn’t see it = you learn when you craft with toddlers *sigh*.

3) He then painted the WHOLE LOT. Normally he is bored half way through and asks me to finish it, but he INSISTED to paint it all himself. I held the robot for him and turned it round and pointed to the white bits that need more paint. I was so proud of him.

4) Let dry.

5) Stick on Googly eyes, buttons and antenna – I found lots of PVA worked fine, save for the antenna, where I later used superglue (personal note: don’t EVER use superglue with kids around, I think it just too tempting). Red Ted also decided to draw on the buttons a little. I think it is cute!

PLAY!

For the blue one, we stuck the loo rolls on with lots of masking tape – it has to masking tape, as paint won’t stay on “packing tape”. We used rather a lot, as we also “closed the sides” of the box with tape. For the head, we just rolled up the corrugated card and taped in place. The rest is as before. Note – this one really does topple as it has SOOOO many buttons, but I think either some weights or some “feet” could resolve the problem. Also, that last photo shows me adding lots of extra glue AROUND the buttons to help keep them on. These robots, sadly are not 1-yrs-old safe!!! But are fine for almost 3 year olds!

Play some more. And we did!! YAY!

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft

1. Salma says:

This is the sweetest thing ever!!!! Want the book and want to make robots! Love it, love it!

2. fabmums says:

I love the robots, what a fun activity for little boys:)

Thank you Salma and Maria! Yes, Red Ted is definitely enjoy his “little boy” craft.. will be interesting to see how our craft evolve with Pip Squeak!

4. meninheira says:

OHHHHHHHHHH qué bonito! so cute Maggy :)

5. maryanne says:

My son would LOVE this craft!

6. Michelle says:

Very cute project!

7. Discovering Montessori says:

I love this! I have to do this activity(with the kids). Thank you for sharing.

8. Very cute! My two year old would have more fun pulling off all the knobs and buttons than putting them on. :)

9. JDaniel has been talking about how he wants a robot. Maybe we should make one too.

10. Natalie says:

What a terrific craft. I really have to make a robot here too one of these days – my daughter would love it.

11. Great project! I love how intent he looks!

12. Thank you so much for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. As a thanks I have Stumbled this post.

13. Amy says:

Oh wow will have to try this one.. Thanks..

14. Janice says:

Thanks for letting us know about your site/link up! Love the robot idea!

15. Holly says:

My 4-year-old is looking at this robot right now and can’t wait to make his own!

16. Michelle says:

WE love that book in our house too (I have the whole “Harry” set). I think your robots are ADORABLE!!!! Super cute idea :-)

17. kewkew says:

Love the little robots. Gotta see if I can get that book when we get to R this time. Last “school” year we also made robots.
    Here is the link, wasn’t sure if I should link up above as it is an old post so I am sharing it here:

18. Caz says:

Thankyou so much for the chance to link up! Is there a button for your site or a link I can put in my post to refer back to your Blog? Lots of great ideas here, and I love your robot craft activity.

19. Thank you so much for introducing me to your blog. This is wonderful. We love robots in our household. My 5 year old daughter had a robot birthday this past August, for the party craft we made robot zipper pulls from pony beads

KJ I LOVE your robot zipper chains, I think we will be making some!!

21. Susana says:

These robots are amazing!! I would LOVE to make these here!! The books looks super cute too. Thank you for this fun idea!

22. Hi, Maggy! The robots are fantastic! And the crafts of the fab crafty people here are also great! I will definitely be following you and your blog! Thanks for dropping by to say hi, too ; )

Hugs,
    Lelanie

Ah Lelanie, that is v kind of you to say! I love meeting new “bloggy friends”. Great to have connected!

Maggy

23. Tracey M says:

What a great book, Harry and the Robots. My son would really like that. The craft that goes with it was just awesome. I love that they made these robots after you read the book. Just visiting from Little Sprout Books.

24. Kelly says:

Thank you for hosting! I’m now following you through GFC

Kelly

25. They are such delightful robots! We had a 3D creative challenge and my son made a robot too. If you have a chance to visit this blog post, the link to it is: http://blog.creativeplaycentral.com.au/3d-creative-challenge/