Kids Get Crafty: Walnut Mouse Racing - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty: Walnut Mouse Racing

| February 2, 2011 | 51 Comments
Welcome to Kids Get Crafty! We have this little craft up our sleeve ever since the 6th December: Saint Nikolaus Day, when the children get nuts, raisins and Satsumas from St Nic during the night. Gently open the walnut shells and save the whole ones for crafting! Today we made some very easy Walnut Mice, that you can actually RACE!
Firstly though,

The book

Die Stadtmaus und die LandmausVon der Stadtmaus und Der Landmaus by Katrin Scharer. This is actually a book based on an “old story” and there are number of slightly different versions of it: the city mouse and the country mouse seeing each other lives and see how in different they are. I believe that in the orginal the moral of the story is that the country mouse is “good and hard working”, whilst the city mouse is less so. Though this and other modern version, focus on the lesson of “lives are different and all lives have something good about it”… so the City Mouse comes and visits the Country Mouse: it is a little scared of the Cows and finds the corn fields hard to walk on, however enjoys the coziness of the burrow, the delicious country food and the spectacular rising sun. The Country mouse then visits the city and finds it big and noisy and far too busy. However appreciates the misty morning and the companionship of all the mice. I love this particular version,as the illustrations are fun and quite modern. A lovely book that we enjoy!
I had my copy sent from Amazon.de as it was a little expensive via Amazon.co.uk!! Check out Scharer’s other titles, they look wonderful! Many are based on old stories, but there are also new ones (I wish I hadn’t looked, I want to buy them now). A number have been translated into French.

The Nursery Rhyme: Hickory Dickory Dock

This craft goes really well with the classic nursery rhyme Hickory Dickory Dock! Here are the words to remind you!

Hickory Dickory Dock,
The mouse ran up the clock.
The clock struck one,
The mouse ran down!
Hickory Dickory Dock.

The Craft

Crafting with Walnut Shells is very “common” and very traditional in Germany and Austria and I look forward to sharing more ideas with you. Today, we make the lovely little mice:
Materials: per mouse: 1 half a walnut, some felt/ paper/ string/ fabric for ears and tail, felt tip pen, glue AND a MARBLE!
As I often do when crafting with a not quite 3 year old: I make one first – so Red Ted can see what we are doing…
1) Make a sample for the smaller children to see
2) Cut out ears and tail – we used felt – but you could have paper ears and a piece of string for the tail
3) Glue on – the tail is a little ticky: add lots of glue and “tuck it under”
4) Draw on eyes, nose and whiskers – Red Ted insisted that I do this
5) Once dried: place a marble under each “racing” mouse and then….
We made a little video of the mouse race, and I have to say, it reminded me of how “small” Red Ted really still is. I see him as such a big boy now, though in fact he isn’t even three yet. Sniff. Sniff.
So: Line up your mice on a book or small board and the tip the board to see which mouse will win!!

xx

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

If you enjoy blog hops and link up parties.. do go and these fabulous kids craft parties

play academy Thinly Spread Share photos on twitter with Twitpic

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Nursery Rhymes

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Monday crafts: magazine geometrical coasters | Fab Mums | February 2, 2011
  2. valentine gratitude tree | NurtureStore | February 2, 2011
  3. Tweets that mention Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Kids Get Crafty: Walnut Mouse Racing -- Topsy.com | February 2, 2011
  4. Hope Is the Word » Blog Archive » RAT Links 2.3.11 | February 4, 2011
  5. the play academy | NurtureStore | February 4, 2011
  6. Something for the Weekend – Forest Adventures! | Thinly Spread | February 4, 2011
  7. the play academy | NurtureStore | February 11, 2011
  8. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Kids Get Crafty – Walnut Boats | February 23, 2011
  9. How to make walnut babies | Live The Good Life | December 12, 2011
  10. Something for the Weekend – Forest Adventures! - thinlyspread.co.uk | thinlyspread.co.uk | April 30, 2012
  11. Making Monday Marvelous #42 | November 1, 2012
  12. A little Crafty Fun from one of the MAD Blog Award Judges | The MAD Blog Awards | July 11, 2013
  1. fabmums says:

ooh that’s fabulous, I love the craft and the mouse race is very clever. The video really shows how much fun Red Ted had with it:)

2. adele says:

I love them they are sooo cute Im sure these little sweeties will be involved in lots of fun games inthe future!

3. Chris says:

Lovely craft and what a sweetie!

4. Esther says:

wow! that’s fabulous! The mouse is looking very cute.. The racing activity will also be of great fun! so clever of u!

5. Nicole says:

Oh that craft is adorable, and I love that they can race – how cute!

6. Maureen says:

So cute! I’ve made walnut mice before but never put a marble underneath. Love the idea!

7. Kerri says:

Very cool! We even have everything on hand to make it. We are in the middle of a terrible ice storm today and continue to lose power. So, we may need to do your activity today! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

8. Robin Neorr says:

Love it! Thank you for linking up to http://tinyurl.com/upcycled31 if you have any more recycled/upcycled projects please link them up and let your friends know. I am trying to reach 100 upcycled projects this week and I would really appreciate you help!

9. Liz Burton says:

These are so cute. I’ve ben eying up a couple of lonely walnuts in the fruitbowl all day since I saw this this morning! x

10. Kerstin says:

Hi Mags,
    great idea with the added marbles! :)
    Will have a go with B & D on the weekend, as nuts and the nut cracker have been a big topic since christmas.
    PLUS what a coincidence! :) We just started with “Kleine Maus – Grosse Stadt” / “Small mouse – big city” by Simon Prescott.
    Unfortunately the “country” part falls a little short in this one, but the illustrations are beautiful and great for 2 yrs old.
    So mouses are a perfect fit too.
    Un abrazo,
    K xx

11. That’s so funny, I must show my Ted this vid!

12. Jill says:

These are adorable Maggy!

13. maryanne says:

Such a simple and fun activity – perfect! =)

14. hip chick says:

When my children were young we used to make things with walnut shells. These are so cute.

15. Gattina says:

I think my cat Rosie would be pleased to play with these cute mice ! really adorable !

16. Wonder Mom says:

I MUST go to the store and buy some walnuts now…GREAT idea!!!

17. Bonnie says:

Love the walnut mice! They are just adorable!

18. Catherine says:

Fantastic craft – love them!

19. This book looks like fun, and the craft is cute! Thanks so much for linking up to RAT!

20. These are AWESOME! I think my kids would have a lot of fun racing them…hmmm…we have some chestnuts…

21. April says:

Cute little mice, I have never seen anything like that before :)

22. Such cute little racers – the marble underneath is very tricky too – already thinking of other items that might be marble-propelled…

23. Hootin' Anni says:

Those are cute! Now I remember doing this with my own kids some 40 years ago.

My show n tell link: My latest art sketch

Hope you can find time to stop by. Have a wonderful weekend.

24. Mice racing looks like such fun! Thanks for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

25. Ann says:

Great idea! Saw your posting on Read.Explore.Learn. I read “The Runaway Rice Cake” to my daughters and we made the Chinese New Year cake (a recipe that’s in the back of the book). Here’s the link if you’d like to take a look:

26. Mari says:

Excellent fun, I really shall give that a go :)

27. Janelle says:

I’ve never seen a walnut mouse before. So simple and cute!

28. tree says:

i love these!! We made milkweed pod mice not too long ago. These look like so much fun. Thanks for the idea! :)

29. Smita says:

How cute … loved going thru ur wonderful space , its a pleasure to link up at ur creative blog !!!

30. Natalie says:

Red Ted is such a cutie! I loved the video and the craft, and I love seeing German books in my WMCIR linky! Thanks for joining it again!

31. kewkew says:

They are just adorable. I had noticed them linked up somewhere (I think stART) and couldn’t wait to come over and check them out.

32. LaDonna says:

Love these!!! Thanks for the idea!

33. Megan Berry says:

We love collecting nuts from the various trees in our neighborhood and I’m always looking for crafty ways to use them. This is perfect! I’ve seen walnut mice before, but never with a marble underneath. What a brilliant idea!

34. Hop on over to the Party! Would love for you to link-up @

The Treasurista
    Finding and Creating FUN things…

35. Oh, I still love them! :)

Featured this post on this week’s High paw! Thanks for participation! :)

36. MC says:

When I was little, my grandmother used to paint walnut shells animal for me. Great craft to do with kids.

*sniff* Thanks for bringing back some good memories.