How to... make quick & easy Plant Markers (with your kids) - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make quick & easy Plant Markers (with your kids)

| March 25, 2011 | 32 Comments

This is almost one those – you just need to see the photo “How To”s and the job is done… really, it is super duper quick an easy, you can embellish and dress them up or down as much as you like and really make them you. You can make these with kids (even a 1yrs old) or on your own. Make them as ladybugs and bees. Whatever takes your fancy:

Stone Plant Markers!

I made them, as I decide to rather randomly scatter my seeds this year in our very tiny front garden that catches all the sun. As I am trying to teach my son about how things grow, I thought it would be helpful if I knew what was growing where. No lollipop sticks to hand and hating those plastic white things (they always get lost), I hastly made these:

Materials: stones from the beach or stream, acrylics, marker pen.

About 6 months ago, Red Ted (then 2.5yrs) painted a whole bunch of stones. They have since been knocking about the garden and seem to have not lost too much of their colouring. So I grabbed them (as well as some lovely plain ones) and with a marker pen wrote on the different veg names. I suspect that the marker will come off eventually: but that is fine, rewrite them next year for your next season’s worth of plants. Don’t they look cute? I love the “texture” of how a 2yrs old paints – colours all mixed up and pretty. We will be making more for sure (may even make some bees and lady birds as mentioned above, but suspect that my kids may run off with those)!

(Also: these are a great way to re-inforce letters with small child: C is for C-arrot etc. Red Ted is really interested in letters and reading, so these are a great addition for our alphabet practice, which we do rather passively – i.e. as and when it arises and if Red Ted feels like it.)

Here is Pip Squeak (16mths) painting some more:

Her finished markers:

And placed outside:

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Gardening, How To's, Nature, Spring, Stones

1. Catherine says:

These are beautiful! What a great colourful addition to the garden too! I know what we’ll be making this weekend – thank you! :)

2. Isil says:

Great idea. I love these. Thanks!

Thank you! They are great for us, as my children are obsessed with painting stones and I am having to find lots of new ways to use them! Love all the colours in the garden…

Maggy

4. Maggy that is a brilliant idea, we will be adopting this one!

5. Love the look – afraid T would make off with them, but worth a shot – if he does we’ll have to figure out what we’re eating when it comes up!

6. City Share says:

That’s such a great idea. Your son must be thrilled that he helped with the plant markers.

7. Kerri says:

Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kerri

8. becky says:

Love this ..simple fu t make and total child involvement. keep em coming Maggie oh and BTW you MUST readmy blog tomorrow Ha ha!

9. Great idea! We have just been busy in the garden and live near the beach so have plenty of pebbles to hand to test this out on – will give it a whirl!

10. JDaniel4's Mom says:

This is such a wonderful idea! They would look great in any garden.

11. These are just like the best thign ever. I will have to get round to doing some.

Cheers Mich x

Sorry to late reply to all your lovely comments!! Have been away for the weekend (hooray). So pleased you like them… they really are super duper easy and lovely in the garden!

13. love this one! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday, so wonderful to have you every week!

14. Bev says:

I meant to say the other day how much I LOVE this idea! I shall be searching out suitable stones now. Brilliant!

15. abbie says:

We are absolutely making these! Great idea. Thanks.

16. camille says:

they look lovely, my children love painting rocks too, we did some little monsters in the autumn for the garden, they had a wonderful time :)

17. Catherine says:

What a great idea! I’ve tried chopsticks and popsicle sticks but stones seem so organic. Thanks for sharing!

18. Maggy-

Finally. A painting project I can trust my sons with! Thank You! We are avid gardeners, and I’m always looking for great markers…

I’d LOVE if you could share this with my readers tonight @Creative Juice Thursday. Party starts @ 7pm CST. Get your crafting shoes on. Hope to see you there…

19. Pam says:

This one of those “smack your forehead why didn’t I think of that?” ideas. It is so windy here the traditional seed packet on a stick might last a week-if you are lucky. Thanks for the idea! Hmm. The baby’s still asleep…maybe I can make some before he wakes up!

20. Rachel says:

What a brilliant idea! I love those! And what fun for the kids too. Thanks for linking this up with For the Kids Fridays at Sun Scholars!

:)rachel @ SunScholars.blogspot.com

21. This post has been featured in this week’s High paw! :) We decided to go with a theme Spring fun for toddlers theme and this fits perfectly!

Thanks for participating and hope to see you again!

22. Kaye Swain says:

Hi, I popped over from 5 Minutes for Mom and their Ultimate Blog Party 2011. What a cool idea! Talk about easy crafts for kids (not to mention us seniors helping them.). And won’t my senior mom love this idea for her gardening projects. Very delightful visit. Thank you.

23. mummiafelice says:

I love the idea of using stones – such a great reuse project! I’m in search of some pretty ones in my garden now :)

24. Great idea! Will use this one.

25. nicki says:

What a great idea! I think I will try that out for my spice garden this year!