Book & Cook: How to make Easy Soda Bread (No Yeast!) - Red Ted Art's Blog

Book & Cook: How to make Easy Soda Bread (No Yeast!)

| May 18, 2011 | 43 Comments

Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty… instead of crafting, I have a “book & cook” post for you today – how to make Easy Soda Bread… as you know I have been doing a lot of baking (mainly our yoghurt pot muffins and our rainbow cookies) with Red Ted and some cooking. And as cooking a “stew” isn’t as exciting, I usually forget to post about it… Michelle from Utterly Scrummy challenged me to a baking bread post and An Amazing Child talked about starting a monthly cooking feature.. add to that Catherine’s  wonderful Easter Bread and  Jadaroo’s fab Bread in  Bag and I could no longer resist…

So bread we must bake.

However, I am utterly rubbish at breadbaking – and am a big convert to the bread making machine (we “inherited” one 4 years ago – and I have since not bought one single loaf from the shops)… I always have problems with the yeast (probably too impatient). So I decided to have a go at Soda Bread with Red Ted. It is SOOO easy and SOOO quick and Jadaroo’s Bread in  Bag idea makes it BRILLIANT for small children!

It is a tiny bit on the salty side, so take care with younger children.

So… How to make Easy Soda Bread

For a small loaf we used:

* 150g Rye Bread Flour (but you can use wholemeal flower)

* 150g Self Raising White Flour (but have made it with plain flour before too)

* 250ml Yoghurt (but Buttermilk or gone off milk works too)

*1 tea spoon of bircabonate of soda

* 1-2pinches of salt (to taste – I am very salt sensitive, so less is more in my eyes!)

* A handful of sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds (optional)

1) Layout all the ingredients so the kids can see them – explain about measuring and having certain amounts

2) Tip everything into the bag and tie a knot

3) Knead and mix well

4) Place on tray on in a tin in the overn at 180-200 for 30min or so. Remove when the bread sounds “hollow” when tapped

ENJOY!

The bread in a bag technique is brilliant here, as the dough is very sticky! This way, no one gets sticky or messy fingers!

And Our Book?

Well… There is only ONE book:

I came across this (and many other FABULOUS books and authors) on Amy’s blog “Hope is the Word“ and weekly book meme “Read Aloud Thursday”. Here is her review, but also go and check out the rest of her blog! You will find all sorts of bookish inspiration.

Fannie in the Kitchen: The Whole Story from Soup to Nuts of How Fannie Farmer Invented Recipes with Precise Measurements (Anne Schwartz Books)Fannie in the Kitchen, by Deborah Hopkinson

This is a book about how Fannie Farmer invented the “concept” of recipes – i.e. measuring out ingredients and following a certain order in cooking. She is heralded as the woman who started “modern day cook books”.  It is a little glimpse into history (perfect for homeschooling families) as well as providing a recipe and instructions for pancakes at the back (who doesn’t want to learn how to make pancakes?!). What I like about the story, is that it isn’t just about “how Fannie started her first recipe book”, but it is the story about a little girl, who gets a new sibling.. and how the new sibling’s arrival means a new cook.. who the little girl doesn’t like at all at first – she used to be mother’s helper and now she no longer is being asked to help! The little girl learns to love Fannie and her new family environment. It is therefore also a nice story for annoying about to have another baby – you could use it to discuss with the child how they are feeling about the new arrival and what things they may be worried about (in this case “no longer being the all important helper & best cook in the house”).

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Recipes

1. The Moiderer says:

Thanks for the recipe but more so the tip with the bag. Why didn’t I think of that?? My Gluten Free bread is very sticky and I’m fed up of clearing it up. Sorted.

Hooray! But I really cannot take the credit for the bag idea! All Jadaroo’s idea (See intro)… and SO CLEVER!!

3. Hi Maggy, I thought I would share our first Cooking with Kids post (thanks for the mention by the way). I’m also completely rubbish at making bread – anything with yeast really – and I KNOW it is because I am too impatient :) My hubby is wheat intolerant (along with about a zillion other intolerances) so I bake a bit and discovered the bag trick after getting sick or washing my hands every two minutes – brilliant :)

4. PS going to share this with our Kids’ Eat group on TEN: The Education Network (hope this link works)

Thank you Kate! Most definitely like the share and thanks for linking your cooking post! Perfect!!!!

5. I love the idea of using the bag. That will make things so much easier.

6. Esther says:

Thanks for the recipe! We have to try it in the summer vacation!

7. Nicole says:

What a great idea, and fun activity to do together. Matthew loves to bake with me too. :) The books sounds like one we’d enjoy too!

8. MyKidsMake says:

the bread came out great!!! i love baking with my kids too

9. jamieS says:

Looks Great! Just double checking, you cook the bread in the bag?

~JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

No no! Take it out of the bag and either place it directly on to baking tray (having shaped it “in the bag”) or into a baking tin!

Me too!!!!!

11. Andrea says:

Thanks so much for linking back to my post. So happy it worked out for you! looks yummy!!!
    ~Jada Roo Can Do

:-) thank you for linking in the first place!!!

13. Rachel says:

We make a soda bread too, only I use beer instead of water – it is the best stuff, ever!!

14. artsy_momma says:

What a great way to get him involved!

15. Alissa says:

Thanks for the book recommendation. I think I even have a gluten/dairy/egg free soda bread recipe! I’ll let you know if we manage to make some.

16. se7en says:

How did it get to be wednesday again so soon!!! Love when a book has a recipe associated with it, we are definitely going to look out for this book!!!

17. Janelle says:

The bag would make everything much less messy. I haven’t made soda bread for quite some time. Must add to my menu this week and possibly look for that wonderful book.

18. Oh, we read and loved Fannie in the Kitchen back a while ago. I’ll have to try this soda bread recipe (once I convert it to US measurements, of course ;-) ) with my girls–they’d LOVE this!

Here’s a link to my review of the book, in case you’re interested in seeing it:

Amy! I had totally forgotten where I had first seen the book – and of course it was your fabulous blog!! Thank you! Have updated the post and linked to you!

20. This book looks like one we’d like! Thanks for the suggestion :)

21. We will be trying this. It would be great to put in Muffin Tin meal.

Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

22. OOOh yummy, we will try this today! Always she away from bread because of the yeast

23. Bev says:

The bag idea is fab! I must try this with Ollie now! Before it has been a floury mess so this is perfect!

First time I have seen RedTed’s face, gorgeous little lad! :)

Bread looks yum too!

24. Mandy says:

hey! we read that book! i loved it!

25. Isil says:

Using a bag is a brilliant idea, especially for little ones who don’t like messy fingers.
    Maggy,
    I would love it if you link this post to my Book Sharing Monday :)

Aaah Isil, I forgot! Sorry.. have linked now!!! Thank you for the reminder and for hosting a lovely linky :-)

27. Love the bag, love the additions to your loaf too – great way to make bread tastier and more nutritious!

28. Nice! I tweeted this and plan to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing this post at We Teach.

29. Natalie says:

I have to look for that book! Your bread looks very yummy indeed. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

30. So fun – we have yet to bake bread together but I am now thinking I must try the bread in a bag idea!

Thanks for linking up the idea & book to the Sunday Showcase – hope you stop by again tomorrow night/Sunday!

Bernadette

31. Should give this a try. My girl always stops and tries to peel sticky things from her hands when we do anything with anything sticky! Maybe plastic bag would prevent waiting for half an hour for her next move! ;)

Thanks for linking to High paw Maggy!

32. Catching up on neglected links! Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! Love the mixing in the bag technique!