Kids Craft: Nature Pouch/ Sewing with Kids - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Craft: Nature Pouch/ Sewing with Kids

| August 17, 2011 | 34 Comments

Hello hello, welcome back to Kids Get Crafty and this week’s sewing with kids!! “Only” about 8 months ago, I saw these fabulous Nature Walk Pouches over at Kleas’s blog. I loved everything about them – the recycledness, the sewinginess, as well as the fact that they are meant for collecting nature things on walks for crafting with back home. I REALLY wanted to make one with Red Ted and have been waiting and waiting for him to be old enough to work with a needle! Also encouraged by Roopa to finally we had a go!

sewing projects for kids

1st Sewing Projects for Kids – Nature Bag Materials

*Left over sweater scraps (I used the rest of the sweater for a Christmas Stocking),

* some embroidery thread/ wool,

*a button,

* a wool needle or child’s needle.

Sewing Projects for Kids – Nature Bag How To

Encouraged by Kleas we also went for a Blanket Stitch – it looks neat and isn’t too difficult!

I always find starting the stitch off the fiddliest, but once past it, you are fine. Here are our photos to go with it:

blanket stitch sewing for kids

1) Starting off: Insert needle between the 2 pieces of fabric (sew knot doesn’t show), pull through. Insert needle from back to front again.

sewing for kids blanket stitch

2) Pull tight and now you can start with the blanket stitch properly! Always go from Front to Back. Insert needle from front. The pull the yarn over the needle, so it will “catch”. Pull needle through.

blanket stitch with children sewing for kids

3) Red Ted has a go. Needless to say, he can NOT master blanket stitch on his own. See the following video. However, he ADORED being allowed to sew. I think he loved the one on one time and was VERY proud of his final piece of work. He wants to make another for his sister. I guess… sewing with children is not necessarily about them having to do it all themselves, but working on something together guiding them as you go along.

Here you can see Red Ted in action:

Didn’t he do well? And you will “hear” that I give him a lot of instruction, but he is enjoying it and finished the sides of the pouch himself! He is so proud:

sewing with kids

I then added a button and a “strap” – made of 6 pieces of wool plaited. I could of shown Red Ted how to plait, but to be honest, ran out of time… next time!

nature pouch for kids

Now when we go on walks we have somewhere for his stones and sticks and leaves! And the wool is machine washable, so we can stick it in the washer if need be!

So.. do you fancy having a go at sewing with kids? Why not!

Here are some photos after our first trip to the park with it:

A very full pouch and happy children!

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Recycling, Sewing

1. Annie says:

Looks great – thank you ! We’ll have a bash at this for sure :)

Hooray! We got complimented a lot at the park with it!! And filled it with fir cones and sticks :-)

3. Adele- playful learners says:

maggy this is such a fantastic idea. Paige loves to sew so we will give this a go next week. thank you xx

4. this is fabulous. I don’t really sew myself so have not done it with the girls but I know my youngest would love making her own bag – she adores purses. I think I will have to get brave and give this a go.

Don’t forget, you can also just do a “running stitch” (where you go “in and out”) or practice the blanket stitch first. It is so lovely, but you may need to give it a go first!

6. Rachel says:

Not only is this a lovely idea, but I love how you chose to use the orange thread with your fabric choice. It looks so cool! My boys are always wanting to bring back small rocks when we go walking and this would be perfect to carry them in. We will have to give this a try!

Aaah thank you! I am rather partial to orange and love the contrast ;-)

We have come back with a 2nd bulging bag of goodies today! Lots of fun! And the button is a great one for my son to practice opening and shutting with!

8. VERY impressed, not only that he did sewing but that he achieved blanket stitch! Well done Red Ted!!

Well – uhm – watch the video.. with help of course!!! ;-)

10. What a cute idea! It would be perfect to use to carry small treasures.

11. Esther says:

Very Cute! Sewing is my all time favorite, Recently i came to know that my daughter loves sewing too!

Definitely great for Treasures!

And Esther, isn’t it wonderful when you child loves an activity you adore? Yay!

13. Janelle says:

The blanket stitch is one of my favorite sewing techniques. I should work on teaching my daughter to sew. Thanks for the inspiration.

14. kewkew says:

Okay, first I have to figure out the blanket stitch and then I will teach it to my girls. These would be great to work on with the girls. I wonder if they could do it at 3 and 4.5 yrs old.

Well Red Ted is 3.5yrs and like in the video, we did it together. But I think it is a nice way to start! ;-) Good luck!

16. Very cute. And it would sure save my pockets from being filled with the kids treasures by the end of the day. :-)

17. mummiafelice says:

Did I mention I love your site? :) Another fabulous idea!

18. Love sewing with my kiddos too!

19. Aimee says:

Wow- that is such a great lesson- weaving encompasses so much. Aside it being an art- it is great for fine motor skills in young children. Thank you for sharing this on The Sunday Showcase!

20. Renee says:

This is so cute! It would be a good post to link up to my brand new Saturday link party over at http://rustic-crafts.com

Renee – thank you and done!

22. Liz Burton says:

This is SO lovely. I\’ve never thought about letting Ruby have a go at sewing, but you\’ve inspired me!

Yay! And Red Ted has recently asked to do more… I think it is still very much “supervised”, but it is nice to let them have a go and take an interest!