Kids Get Crafty - Acorn Animals - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty – Acorn Animals

| September 14, 2011 | 50 Comments

acorn crafts There seems to be an explosion of nature crafts on Red Ted Art at the moment.. first we made our Nature Bag, then we finished our Get Crafty with Nature ebook, then we made acorn elves and fairy houses… and now.. now we have acorn animals for you! Hooray! The great thing about fresh acorns, is that they are quite soft, so small hands can manage making holes too (compared to chestnuts, which can be a little tricky). I used to make variations of these as a child. We made a horsey and some sheep… now the horse can be made whilst out and about (though it helps to have a toothpick or maybe a pen in your pocket) and the sheep need to be finished at home, thanks to the “wool”.

I now feel as if I should tell you a wonderful story about a horse and a sheep, as I don’t have a book about one. But I don’t have a wonderful story either. So you get a Limerick that I just made up. I once got a Girl Guide badge thanks to Limericks!

There once was a horse and a sheep.

Who thought that they couldn’t find sleep.

So they ran up and down

All over the town

Until finally with sleep they did meet.

OR how about:

There once an acorn did fall

It really did not like that at all

Then a little boy came

Who brought it some fame

By making it into a wonderful doll

Fancy making a Limerick up? Go on! I challenge you… leave me one in the comments. You would make my day!

The Craft

A wonderfully straight forward craft. At this time of year many acorns are still green and those that have dropped to the ground are still quite soft.

Take two acorns, and one long thin twig, use you toothpick to create holes and later add cotton wool with glue!

acorn animals

1. Do check which way round your acorn will look best – we like that our animals have little “chests”… Use your toothpick to prick for holes at the bottom of one acorn and one on top. Insert 5 little sticks broken off from your long thin twig. Prick another hole in the “head” acorn and place on top. If you have a horse, add two more little twigs for ears… If you don’t have a toothpick a pen *may* be enough to prick the beginning of the hole and make the insertion of a twig easier.

acorn sheep

2. If you are making a sheep, add lots of glue! Red Ted loved making these. Whilst Pip Squeak loved taking hers apart.

acorn horse

3. Draw on eyes.

acorn animals

Ta Da!

acorn animals

Red Ted skipped outside and placed them in the fairy house!

We then made a little car:

acorn car

But it “disappeared” before I got  a photo of it all finished (this shows the “underneath”).

Featured on:

Fun Family Crafts

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list. If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Kids Craft, Nature

Sites That Link to this Post

1. easy no cook playdough recipe for autumn | NurtureStore | September 14, 2011
  2. watercolour painting techniques: wet on wet | NurtureStore | September 15, 2011
  3. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Kids Get Crafty: Horse Chestnut Crafts | September 21, 2011
  4. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Kids Get Crafty: Horse Chestnut … | Scissors | September 21, 2011
  5. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Autumn Get Crafty 2011 – Crafts & Ideas for Autumn | October 11, 2011
  6. Bellotas « Madres y padres – Punto de encuentro | November 16, 2011
  7. The Thursday 13 – Crafting with Acorns | September 6, 2012
  8. Fairy and Elf Houses - Growing Green Fingered Kids | September 18, 2012
  9. Crafting with Kids | BabyHuddle blog | September 27, 2012
  10. Nuts About Acorns | Are We There Yet? | October 18, 2012
  11. Fall Fun Activity Tree | September 13, 2013
  1. Annie says:

Great idea ! Bean and Ozzy have been stashing acorns in their bedroom from walks all week – now we can do something with them ! I’ll get my thinking cap on and see what we can come up with to make and join in !

Just start making “our” ones… and I bet you will suddenly be making a huge range of other creatures… the kids will start demanding :-)

3. se7en says:

LOVE acorn art!!! We made a mini world a while back with acorns and streamers: http://www.se7en.org.za/2010/01/15/se7en-make-a-mini-world-from-streamers-and-acorns

Mcklinky doesn’t think my link for this week is valid… help!!! Roald Dahl Inspired Insects:

Have a great week!!!

Se7en – LOVE your acorn world!! It is wonderful as usual :-) and have linked up for you!!

Maggy

5. This is so cute! You are very creative on making animals out of acorn. That’s impressive!

6. Always a sign that something is fab when it’s whisked off to play with before you get to take a picture!

7. I love it Maggy, and there are loads of acorns on our way to school, so I’m going to collect some today. xx

8. Thanks for the Science Sparks links too! xx

9. Esther says:

Those are adorable! Love the sheep, I’m just smiling at your post!

10. these are so cute – perfect craft for fall! :)

11. Isil says:

oh my, these are gorgeous! Will definitely make these,thanks!

Aaah you guys are so sweet! Was a little worried you would find them “boring”… but obviously not! *Phew* :-)

13. Liz Burton says:

Oh the fairies must have driven off in it!

Your acorn critters are adorable.

*Chuckle* Liz, you are right!!! It was the Fairies… of course!

15. These are so cute. I am on the hunt for acorns, I don’t know if we’ve got any around.

16. So cute! I love seeing the glue all over your acorn animals! And I love seeing how much your little guy is concentrating.

17. Judy says:

Those acorn animals are so stinkin’ adorable! I love the sheep :)

18. artsy_momma says:

The sheep is sooooo cute!

19. techno-mole says:

Great use of acorns, we’ve been collecting them for projects like this, we also find conkers are good for this sort of thing, we used them to make spiders for halloween last year :-)

20. mummiafelice says:

I ALWAYS miss the link ups. I must pull my finger out. I am shocking!!

I saw some acorns whilst we were conker picking *rolls eyes* and wondered what they could be used for…. now I know! Fab idea :)

Thanks for linking up :D

Ooh and you can make little men too!!

22. These are SO cute!!! Definitely want to try these.

23. Rashmie @MommyLabs says:

Oh, Maggie – these are super cute! We love nature art and craft and have saved our acorns, pine cones and shells from our recent trip, to make something.

BTW, I loved your limericks. The second one especially… :)
    I too used to make these in school days and bagged some prizes! I still love making for my daughter..!
    It’s weird how we suddenly find two people can relate with each other over small and inane things…!

Oooh go on… come back and write me a limerick in the comments!!!! ;-)

25. Your limerick’s definitely count as literature! Thank your for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

26. I should have said limerick without an apostrophe.

27. SnoopyGirl says:

Your little lamb is just precious!

28. Aly says:

We’ve been collecting pine cones, acorns, hazel nuts, feathers etc for a similar project for your Autumn Get Crafty.I’m actually getting the kids involved this time.

29. Tracey M says:

I finally have a craft with matching books post and can link up! I love all the fall crafts in the linky this week. The acorn animals are so cute. For some reason, i could not copy your badge html, it wouldn’t let me so I had to type it by hand ;) Thanks for hosting the link up!

30. MisterJeremy says:

Cute acorn critters. You reminded me that I needed to blog about the acorn birds’ nest scenes that my kids made last month.

Tracey – Oooh hooray! So excited that you can take part! :-)
    Aly – look forward to your Autumn Get Crafty creation!!
    Mister Jeremey – the nests sound fun! Can’t wait to see them!

32. Ivanna says:

I used to do such things at school :)! It was our homework.

33. Julia says:

Love your acorn animals! We made some porcupines last fall. I’ll have to post a pic later this month after we make some more.

34. Rebecca says:

Oooh these we cute. Hope you find some acorns soon for more crafty fun.

Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase.

Thank you! And yes, we are Acorn hunting!!