Kids Crafts: Chestnut Crafts - Streamer Toy

Kids Get Crafty: Chestnut Streamer Toy

| September 28, 2011 | 37 Comments

‘Tis the Season to Get Crafty – tra la la la la laaaa… certainly Autumn crafts are all in at the moment.. the trees are starting to change colours, the woods are littlered with Acorns and Chestnuts… Last week we made chestnut creatures and chestnut pencil toppers… this week we have a Chestnut Streamer Toy or “Kastanien Flugball” in German.

I can’t claim that this Streamer Toy was my idea, I first saw it on Labbe.de.  I thought it look liked a fun idea and then we discovered that not only looked fun, but hearing the streamers flutter in the wind SOUNDS fun too. Gorgeous all round!

The Book

Red Leaf, Yellow LeafRed Leaf, Yellow Leaf, by Lois Ehlert.

A “Fall” classic by the wonderful Ehlert. Although many poeple get this book out in Autumn – thanks to all the beautiful Autumn colours, this is actually a great book to look at the “life cycle of a tree”. It starts of with the “helicopter seeds” from a big maple tree.. how it falls, it lands, how some are taken by animals and others grow into seedlings in springs… how a tree then grows and how maybe it is then “harvested” by a nursery for people to buy and plant in their gardens. The book is once again beautifully designed – with Ehlert’s wonderful collages. It includes all seasons and at the end you get a handy section with tips on how to Plant a tree – how to choose one, when to plant it, where to plant it.. etc. Most definitely a great choice of book!

And of course a Chestnut tree starts is life with a conker…

The Craft

This is very quick and simple… once made take out and play!

Materials: Chestnut, tissue paper cut in strips, scissors, glue

1) Make a hole with your scissors or chestnut tool.

autumn crafts

2) Cut some tissue paper strips. Twist at one end and insert with lots of glue. We made one with blue/ red/ white streamers and a “firey” one with yellow, orange and red!

kastanien flugball

3) Let dry.

kastanien flugball

kastanien flugball

4) Let fly!!!

We had great fun with these at the park.. they even bounce a little as they hit the ground (do it too often on a hard ground and your chestnut will crack) and be warned: dogs and cats LOVE these too….

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list. If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , ,

Category: Autumn, Kids Craft, Nature

Sites That Link to this Post

1. how to make a peg doll | NurtureStore | September 28, 2011
  2. Idea Mamma » IL VOLO DELLA CASTAGNA “MATTA” | September 30, 2011
  3. 40+ Fall Outdoor Play Activities for Kids | October 11, 2013
  1. I love those Maggy! What a great idea! x

Thanks Emma :-) with your science sparks hat on, you could calculate the trajectory!!!!

3. MisterJeremy says:

Looks fun! My son has been bringing home lots of chestnuts, so we’ll try this one out.

4. these look fun & I love the pet warning, haha!

Hooray :-) enjoy making them!

6. I love these chestnut streamers. How fun!

7. Amanda says:

Hey Maggie! Sorry, i entered my egg monster twice, can you pleas delete one? At least I used different pictures each time LOL

8. Lorie says:

We recently read the same book and did the bird treat ornaments in the back. My little guy would love to make these though! Thanks!

Amanda – DONE!

10. Esther says:

I love the Chestnut streamers! I like them flying in the sky and you have got wonderful pictures of them flying in the air! a child in me is wishing to fly some in the air:-)

Thank you Esther and Anna! Getting the photos was the hardest part!!!

12. Kerri @ Baby Monitors Online says:

Those look like so much fun! I love creativity :)

13. Rashmie @MommyLabs says:

My daughter loves reading about the lifecycle of a tree. Sounds like a lovely book, Maggie. And, the craft is way too much fun! Wow, we have to try this. :)

14. se7en says:

Now that is a totally cute piece of craftiness!!! And would you look at that… this week the link worked for us!!! Yay!!! Hope you have a great day!!!

And Hurray se7en, it worked!!! x

16. Isil says:

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for the inspiration! Oh once again an Ehlert book, must buy one of his books,coming across on many blogs. I can’t find them at the library.

Isil, I think Ehlert is a “key children’s author” in the US – a bit like Julia Donaldson and Oliver Jeffers here.. which is why you will have seen many of the books around, but not in our UK libraries!

17. Jacke says:

Those look so fun! And your photos are wonderful :) We love the Ehlert books. Actually, I have Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf and Leaf Man on hold at the library. We’re picking up today! Now we have an activity.

18. This looks like the perfect activity for a fall day.

19. SnoopyGirl - Eclectic Musings says:

Those flying chestnuts look like such a blast.

20. mermaid says:

Annabel`s uncle will be visiting us tomorrow.. now I have a fun activity to offer them ;)
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh yes! PERFECT for uncles!

22. I linked an old post – is that okay?

23. mummiafelice says:

wow! These are amazing!!!! I just KNOW my kids will love this! We went conker collecting last weekend… oooh!!

Thanks for linking up Maggy :)

24. Caz says:

That looks so fun, anything involving streamers is going to be a hit with my two!

25. Oh dear… Now I have to on the hunt for a book AND a chestnut tree…:)

26. What a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to go collecting possible streamer weights!

27. oh this looks like so much fun…..but no conkers around here unfortunately. Thanks so much for sharing all your wonderful projects on Craft Schooling Sunday!

28. I wonder if I could do that with an acorn? LOL We do not have any chest nut tress. Super idea though! Looks fun! :)

29. We have bags full of conkers thanks to our walk home from school, thanks for another great idea of what to do with them. Thanks for stopping by the Outdoor Play Party.