Kids Crafts: Cookie Cutter Christmas Cards & Decorations - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Cookie Cutter Christmas Cards & Decorations

| November 16, 2011 | 23 Comments

Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty for a crafty 2 in 1 Christmas craft (and how many “crafts” can I fit into one sentence!?!?)…  I love this little craft. It is simple. Easy and adored by recipients: With the help of cookie cutters as templates make simple Christmas cards, which can be used as Christmas Tree decorations too!

The Book

How to Catch a Star Board BookHow to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers. I don’t think I have ever “hidden the fact” that we ADORE Oliver Jeffers. He has such a cute and quirky storytelling and illustration style that you simply can’t help but fall in love with his work.. amongst others we love “Lost & Found”. And today we have How To Catch a Star. In this book the boy sets out to catch a star – because it is so beautiful and he wants it as a friend… he thinks about when he sees it in the day (at the very end of the day) and waits all day for it to appear. But then he can’t reach it. He thinks about climbing up a tree to catch. And he thinks about the star’s  reflection in the sea (except he doesn’t realise it is just a reflection)… he simply cannot reach it or keep hold of it. How is the boy going to get his star…?! Then one day, he does indeed succeed. Read the book to find out how! Once again beautifully illustrated and written in a way that you could really imagine the audience thinking in. Adorable.

The Craft

Well.. if you can’t catch a star, about making your own? As I mentioned, these double of as greeting cards AND Christmas decorations. 2 for 1. Fabulous!

christmas cards

Materials: Cookie cutter Christmas shapes, corrugated card (or any card), sequins (or glitter glue or stickers), glue, scissors, ribbon, bluetack & cards & envelopes

christmas cards

1) We made these last year, when Red Ted was just under 3yrs, so I traced and cut out all the shapes for him.

crafts for kids at christmas

2) Glue on sequins. I find less is more. Red Ted finds more is more. The choice is yours. We developed a “sprinkling sequins” technique, which involves lots of glue and throwing sequins on, as my son doesn’t like glue on his fingers.

3) Wait to dry.

4) Make a hole (I used some sharp scissors), but you can hole punch a hole before adding the sequins.

5) Thread some ribbon.

christmas crafts kids

6) Stick onto card stock with blue tack – it can then be removed and used as a decoration. Two for one! I know the grandparents will like this one!

Finished!

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , ,

Category: Card making, Christmas, Kids Craft

1. se7en says:

We love Oliver Jeffers too!!! Hope you have a great day!!!

2. Emma says:

Fabulous, I love it, definitely going to make some of these

3. They are so cute! We are going to have a go at them xx

4. Oh these are a perfect twin toddler activity! We are on the case. xx

Aaah thank you everyone. Hope you have fun! And yes, se7en, Oliver Jeffers is just fabulous!

6. Cute. great present tags :)

7. Maxine says:

Love the phrase “Red Ted finds more is more”. Same with mine! These are fab – we had great fun with the leaf crown last week, but could’t get daughter to pose for a photo in it!!

8. Chelsey says:

How have I never heard of this author?! I’m so excited to start reading some of his books and love the ornament idea as well. Thank you!

9. Rashmie @ MommyLabs says:

The story sounds so adorable. Have to check out this book and the author.
    We always love story books with nice illustrations.
    Cute craft to go with it… :)

10. Esther says:

The card look beautiful! yeah so simple and elegant!

Blue Bear Wood – ooh yes, fab as present tags too! Thanks for that!

Maxine – hehehe kids!! More is always more!!! :-)

Rashmie – he is a British author, so well know here, but necessarily elsewhere!

Esther – aaaah thanks!!

12. We love ‘Lost and Found’ too and ‘Catch and falling star’ sounds lovely too.

Your cards look great! xx

13. Ali says:

We will give these a go, they look great.

14. Jamie says:

Cute cards. Thank you for hosting. There are some wonderful projects linked up.
    Jamie
    diyhshp.blogspot.com
    P.S. I’m having a giveaway. Would love you to stop by and check it out.

15. I love this! JDaniel and I will have to try it.

16. What a lovely idea – I think J and I may try it when T is asleep

17. Julie says:

Great idea to make with my kids. I hope to make a lot of ornaments with them this year! I’ll be keeping an eye here for more ideas!
    If you get a chance, I’m sure my readers would love your ideas as much as I do. Link up here: