How To... Make Cutlery Wind Chimes - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How To… Make Cutlery Wind Chimes

| March 2, 2012 | 26 Comments

I made this Fork & Spoon Wind Chime almost a year ago (wow, time does “fly”). At the time it was for the Tesco Summer Magazine. Wonderful to be featured there along side some of our cardboard tube pirates and saltdough dinosaurs. All great activities for long holidays. Finally, it seems like a good time to share this craft with you – Spring is in the air and we are slowly looking forward to spending more time in garden – planting seeds soon, but I also hoping to make our very small garden more child friendly and interesting – hoping to sort out a drawing “station” and maybe a music station. Let’s see what we manage!

But in the meantime, I have some easy and fun wind chimes for you – great for that tinkering and tingling in the garden!

Materials: Set of old forks and spoons, picked up from the charity shop, beads, string, craft wire, a stick for hanging from, wire cutters (and a cup of tea whilst you craft..)

for wind chimes

1) Select your cutlery and see how many fit nicely on your stick

cutlery windchimes

2) Take approximately 20cm of wire. Secure at the bottom of the fork or spoon handle with a bead

windchimes

3) Start winding it around the handle adding beads as you go. Add a little loop at the top from which to tie your string next.

cutlery wind chimes

4) Add a bead or two to your string an attach! Repeat with all the wind chime cutlery. Then attach them to you stick. Remember you want them all spaced out evenly, but not too far apart – you want them to be able to bang together and give you that tinkering tingle!

diy spoon windchimes

diy spoon windchimes

Finished, hang in a windy area and enjoy! Now you really can hear the wind in your garden? Is it a windy day today or a calm one? Red Ted loves listening out to the chimes and hearing what is going on with the weather! Enjoy your cutlery wind chimes!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: How To's, Recycling

1. Mami Made It says:

Well, that\’s a thing I wanted to make for years. Time to visit a flea market. Beautiful crafting!

Yes, the flea market is perfect for picking up the needed cuttlery! Thank you for the kinds words!!

3. Expat Mum says:

I found myself actually saying \”Oooh\” as I read through your instructions. Not only is this lovely, it\’s very easy. I was imagining the inclusion of a drill with special bit on the end at some point during the instructions, but no. Thank you.

4. The Monko says:

they are really pretty. I\’ve seen some done with curled fork tines – not sure how you bend them though.

Oh yes the curled ones are lovely!! But that requires a whole new set of skills (and patience… that I don\’t have ;-)). Love all the curled fork bracelets and key rings too!

6. TheBoyandMe says:

Fantastic, might have to have a try of this!

7. I\’ve been meaning to do this for ages, thanks for the much needed instructions!

Oooh so pleased, Ladies!!!! Would love to see any pictures if you do get a chance to make any!

9. Didi says:

This is so pretty. I love the bead-work. I may have to try making this for my garden. What does it sound like? Is it very loud, or just a soft clinking noise?

10. Lydia says:

This is wonderful and beautiful! I can imagine the noise it makes.

I love that it uses old cutlery, reminds me of dinners at my grandparents.

You\’ve inspired me with another project to embark on!

@ Didi – just a soft clinking noise ;-)

@ Lydia – have fun!!

12. Sweet! What an inventive idea! How awesome are you, Maggy :-)

Oh Chrissy you make me *blush*… which I could claim these as my own… but cutlery wind chimes have been around for aaaaages ;-)

14. EmmaK says:

What an amazingly simple and brilliant idea! I will go and buy some fancy old spoons from a thrift store and get crafting.

15. What a lovely idea! I can hear the chiming noise now! x

16. Kelly Simble says:

will, need 2 give this a try…

17. Glenda says:

Thanks so much for sharing. I have a box of old silverware from my grandparents home. I have been wanting to make a set of these for each of the grandkids, but like your other reader I thought it would involve drills and more skill than I have. These are easy and very pretty with the wire. You have been the impeus I have needed to get these done!!!!

18. Jenny says:

Ohh I love this. Just the thing for our backyard! Thank you for the inspiration!

19. This is so pretty! :)
    Not enough flea market mooching in my life – I must make time for more…