How to... Make a Skirt from a Pair of Jeans - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… Make a Skirt from a Pair of Jeans

| April 20, 2012 | 37 Comments

upcycled jeansWelcome to this week’s How to, where I am making a skirt out of an old pair of jeans!! To date, I have been saving all old jeans for crafting with the kids, using a small piece for a teddy bear’s leg here and another for some baby shoes there. Then the gorgeous Liz from Me and My Shadowsent me a 99 Ways to Cut, Sew & Deck Out Your Denim and I was inspired to think bigger – that is – upcycle my old pair of jeans into a skirt for me! Could I do it? Well why not…

I adapted the pattern slightly from the book (I think I simplified it) and there are one or two parts I could improve on next time, but overall I am pretty chuffed with the result!

The instructions are quite “rough and ready”.. but to be honest, I don’t think it is a problem – as you will have jeans of all shapes and sizes at home and I noticed that as I went a long, things were pretty flexible.

Materials: one pair of old jeans, scissors, pins, sewing machine, thread and needle

upcycled jeans project

1) Take one pair of old jeans. If like mine, they have a hole in it, then the position of the hole will determine the length of your skirt! The bottom half or you leg will become a panel in the front and back of the skirt. So you have to cut the leg so there is enough length from the crotch of the skirt to the hem.

upcycled jeans project

upcycled jeans project upcycled jeans project

2) Cut the legs off your jeans. Then cut out the crotch on both sides.

upcycled jeans project

3) Take the bottom part of the leg and cut out a triangle – see images – cut off the hem of the trousers too.

upcycled jeans project

4) Repeat with other leg and you will have two pieces as above – note that the triangle is not pointy at the top, but flat.

jeans to skirt

5) Place the panel underneath the front. Align the bottom of the panel with the bottom of the “main skirt”. Fold the top piece to create a hem and pin in place. You basically sewing the “main skirt” on top of the panel. I sewed the red lines with the machine TWICE. And then the yellow parts by hand. The yellow line (i.e. the crotch) is by far the hardest bit of this skirt and very fiddly. I actually have a small piece of the crotch seam sticking out, as it was difficult to bend it over. I just blanket stitched around it to stop it fraying.  Repeat at back.

6) Try the skirt for length. If need be shorten or tidy the hem length a little. Then hem the skirt.

jeans to skirt

Done. What do you think? I think it is  pretty cool way to upcycle one pair of jeans and I know what I will be wearing this summer! The skirt is pretty comfy too – as the waist band of my old jeans in nicely worn in and a perfect fit! I even have pockets.

Have you made anything from old jeans before? What is it? Do share in the comments!

Here are some of my other favourite “upcycled crafts“:

upcycled crafts upcycled crafts upcycled crafts

Cutlery Windchimes

Old Shirt Juggling Chooks

Jeans to Micro Fibre iPod/ iPhone case

upcycled crafts upcycled crafts upcycled crafts

Upcycled Frame to Notice Board

Onesie to Rag Doll

Shirt/ Suit to Shopping Bag

Would to hear all about your favourite upcycled crafts too!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: How To's, Recycling, Sewing

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Its carnival time! | May 15, 2012
  2. The MADs Blog Awards Me-Time Carnival | Bizzy Mum -An Honest Mums Blog | August 30, 2012
  1. What a flashback from my high school days in the 70′s.
    These are so fun.
    Thanks for sharing

2. What a great idea! I love upcycling and this is a great way to make use of some old jeans!

3. I have never done that it looks really good. It’s a shame my jeans are miles to big otherwise I would have a go

4. MotherWifeMe says:

OMG, this take me back to my student days! Jeans to jeans shorts, jeans shorts to jeans skirt!! Hurray for up-cycling!!

I wonder how fiddly it would be to do this with Red Ted’s jeans (with holes) and convert them got Pip Squeak??? What you guys reckon?

6. That is very cool! I am rubbish at this kind of thing though, can hardly sew a button onto a shirt! Gonna try and learn though so thanks for this!

Aaah what a shame.. I would LOVE to convert you! I used to hate machine sewing but have made peace with the sewing machine!?

7. Salma says:

Oh Maggie, this is genious! Putting my sowing machine on right now! Love it!

Hooray Salma! I didn’t know you had a sewing machine! Yay yay yay!

9. Liz Burton says:

Fabulous! It looks amazing, I bet you’ll get loads more wear out of it now.

Thanks for the mention x

Thanks for the book! And yes, I am loving wearing it!! Should I wear it to blog camp tomorrow?!

11. Keiiy Simble says:

Oh so clever and friendly enough 4 an all thumbs sewer like me. I was not needing another pair of cutoffs shorts but can love having lots of skirts. thank Thank Thank u!

12. Keiiy Simble says:

Oh this is embrassing, i m on my hushand PC and his keyboard is nice however. Mine seems 2 keep me more alert as 2 what Im typing. My name is KELLY not Keiiy, my way bad :/

13. mum of all trades says:

This is such a blast from the past! I remember making one of these as a teenager. Yours looks much more professional than mine did though! I love the way the panel is the slightly darker shade of denim, it really adds to it.

14. Christine says:

Cute! Funny, I cannot stand wearing jeans so I don’t know if I would do this for myself….
    I’ll bet your skirt would look darling with some lace sewn onto the hem!

15. Very very cool Maggy! i might have to try this . x

16. Ruth says:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you always do the lovliest of projects! I’m pinning this to try when I finally get out of maternity clothes!

17. Isil says:

Hey,this is very creative and looks great! Wish I could sew!

18. Judy says:

Cute. I made a jean pencil skirt and loved it, except for how limiting it was. Something like this would be much more ideal.

19. Au Pair says:

Awesome! This is such a clever idea. :)

20. Dottie says:

What a great idea! Love it!

21. I love this idea. I have a ton of jeans that I keep hoping to fit into again, but after a baby, things just are in different places no matter how much I weigh. :)

22. Wow, great idea. This looks amazing! I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas!

23. Great Creation dearest Friend!

Thank you for linking up to Made With Love,
    Angelique

24. Oh my gosh.. thats a gorgeous revamp!! Loved it!!

25. Helen Neale says:

Brilliant, as always. I am rubbish at all things craft, so always bow down to your imagination and skill. We are currently watching cress egg things grow in our house. And they will look nothing like they are meant to in the book, but thankfully, my kids don’t really care!

Aaaah but “the book” is just for inspiration – and things never look the way they do in books – that’s what makes what you do with your kids so special! Hooray for Cress Eggs!

26. Mealy says:

Love it. I have been looking for a denim skirt but actually have a pair of jeans with a hole in that I couldn’t bear to throw away. Looks like the cobwebs need to be blown off my sewing machine. My sister’s son made her a handbag from her old jeans at school! Cut off the legs, sew along the bottom and use some of the leg material to make a strap. Decorate with beads, glitter, buttons, sequins… You name it whatever takes your fancy. Look great!

27. Elisa says:

LOVE this! is it possible to place a pattern fabric that isn’t of jean material on the front and back middles?