Kids Crafts: Snowglobes - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Snowglobes

| May 9, 2012 | 49 Comments

FIMO craftsWell… it really is about time that we a did a “How to make snowglobes” post, don’t you think? Every kids craft site worth its salt *needs* a snowglobe diy of sorts. A homemade snowglobe is a childhood must! And finally we have made some. The best thing about your snowglobe, is that you get the chance to “use up” some of those plastic figurines that you may have lying around from Kinder Surprises or party bags… and if you don’t you could “whip” up some FIMO and make your own (if you want more  FIMO making ideas check out my friend’s great website! Including FIMO figurine snowglobes!). I have also seen some cool LEGO snowglobes knocking about, so if your children can part with a bit of old LEGO, they do look great too. We did a mixture of “plastic figurine” and FIMO snowglobe. But in essence it is totally your call – how easy or complicated you make it!

This article is now available on our GERMAN website - Schneekugel Basteln

Here are our froggy and our solar system globes:

how to make a FIMO snowglobe easy snowglobe

Materials: Old jars – personally I think the smaller the better, as then you are not left with “lots of watery space above your figurine”, a plastic figurine or FIMO, glycerine (the secret ingredient), glitter (apparently PVC glitter is better and I got mine from Zing Zing Tree – it is gorgeous), water, glue (we used a hot glue gun, but superglue should work too). Fishing wire for the planets and a plastic ring we found to suspend them from.

Note: Glycerine is not strictly speaking necessary, but apparently it makes the glitter more floaty. Mmmh.

Note 2: Now here is the interesting bit.. (I think). Though we really enjoyed the PROCESS of making the Solar System Snowglobe – i.e. Red Ted loved helping make all the different planets and it really got him talking about planets and solar systems, the Froggy snowglobe was just so quick and easy, that if I were to recommend one over the other, I would always say “Froggy”! The Solar System one, was such a terrible fiddle and even now, the planets still get a little tangled up, that the end result is no where near as satisfying as the frog one……. but then Red Ted did love learning about planets (it helped that we also made a Paper Mache Solar System – so we were in total space mode). Tricky!!!

how to make a snowglobe

Solar System Craft

1) Decide on what you would like to put in your snowglobe. Red Ted “allowed” me to use a plastic frog that came out a Kinder Egg…. I decided the frog would look better “elevated”, so we made  simple leaf for it to sit on. We have also had a great few FIMO  weeks here in Red Ted HQ and Red Ted has become an expert in ball rolling so we decided on a Solar System! Of course it is not to scale. Before baking the FIMO we poked holes into the balls, so that we could later glue some fishing wire in.

snowglobe

2) Superglue in your fishing wire and tie your planets to your plastic ring – this could be anything – ours came out of a pickled chillies jar! But you could cut a disc out a plastic lid or maybe even use  large button??? At this point, the craft actually looks pretty cool (we think).. suspended in the jar… well.. it’s fun, but not as pretty as the above!

how to make a snowglobe

how to make a snowglobe

3) Glue your solar system to the bottom of the jar (this was SOOOOO fiddly – and I used slow setting “hot glue” – if we made this again, I would suspend it from the LID of the jar. I couldn’t do it this time, as I made the fishing wires to short and all the planets would have been bunched up under the lid). The froggy on the other hand as a quick 2min job. Glue, place, stick… (see much easier)

snowglobe

4) Fill your jar with water and add glitter – maybe 1-2 teaspoons. Less is more! Believe me!!! We used white and blue glitter in the frog snowglobe and golden and star glitter in the solar system snowglobe.

diy snowglobe

5) Replace your lid. Screw just firmly. You may wish to glue it if you worry your kids will open it!

Tada:

diy snowglobe  how to make a FIMO snowglobe

What do you think? Fancy making a snowglobe yourself?

snowglobe crafts

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Creative with Kids and Red Ted Art host this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse! Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site! If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

Remember NEXT week.. we have a Kids Get Arty link up! So come back with your artwork or see you in a fortnight!
Red Ted Art

Have you made a snowglobe before? Come link it up!! I would love to see it!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Recycling

1. Ali says:

Lovely snow domes, the frog looks so happy! We have made a snow dome – I have just linked it up.

2. I remember you posting on FB about planets, and I had no idea you were going to fit them into a jar. Amazing! So superglue would be your suggestion for the best glue for a snow globe? Any other type of glue?

@Ali – ooh I like your photo globes. So cute!!!!

@Rebekah – yep.. the fiddly fiddly sloar system!!! For the froggy globe the Hot Glue Gun was fine. For the solar system, I had a tube of “slow drying hot glue” (i.e. same stuff, but you don’t heat it) and that work a treat. As to superglue – I have seen others use it – I haven’t, so… I can only say “yes, I think it is fine”?

4. Merry says:

Oh my days. I cannot even imagine making the solar system one!

@Merry.. I am not sure I recommend it!!! It seemed like a good idea and was *almost* a total craft fail……. but if we are talking process from Red Ted’s perspective… then we had a good time!

6. sunnymama says:

These look great! That is a very relaxed looking happy frog! :)

7. Hi there!

I post for Crafters4Kids and I plan on featuring this fun idea today on our Facebook wall! We love looking at your ideas and you always have great pictures! https://www.facebook.com/Crafters4Kids

Have a great day! Susie @Crafters4Kids

8. Jen Fischer says:

I love both of these. So lovely! I always like things that reuse in a creative way.

9. Wow – that solar system rocks, Maggy! I’m pinning it for sure.

10. Ellie says:

Love these snow globes – we’re definitely going to have to have a go at one of these soon (I think we might pass on the solar system and go for the simpler version, although I have to say it does look amazing) Ellie

@Jen Thank you – the kids adore looking at them!
      @Krissy – thank you for pinning!
      @Ellie – go with easy!! I will next time ;-)

11. artsy_momma says:

I love the froggie! I used to collect frog knick knacks growing up and even had the mini underwater aquarium ones :)

12. I love snowglobes. Such a fun idea. I think the planets one is brilliant. I love the fimo models.

13. Nicole says:

I love this idea! Will have to do this project with my son he will love it!

14. Kelly says:

Maggie I love your solar system snow globe! Inspired :-)

Thank you!

16. kate says:

i love these! i never knew they were so easy to make! my little girl would love a fairy or princess one with lots of pink glitter :) now i know what to do with all the jam jars i have been saving for ages! how much glycerine did you put in? x

17. oooh they are great. I especially love the solar system! x

18. Brittany says:

I so love this! Thanks for sharing AND for hosting! Wishing you a lovely Mother’s Day weekend!

19. louise says:

Love the planet snow globe! Very cool!

20. Shiloh says:

Love this idea! I have wanted to try this for years and years.

21. My son is OBSESSED with anything space related. He would just love that solar system snow globe! Thank you for sharing! :)

22. Leigh says:

Do you think putting some thin wire from planet to planet would keep them from getting tangled?

23. Jessica says:

I think this is so cool. I think it would be neat to have only glued the leaf for the frog and left him floating. This way you would have a challenge to try and get him sitting on the leaf. However you may need aless viscous fluid maybe just water. I had a globe once that had a tee and a large golf ball and you had to try and get the golf ball on the tee. Lots of fun and gives the kids something to do.

24. Sarah says:

How did you make the planets? I guess I am confused but love the idea. My son would love to do this project.

25. I just saw this shared on Google+. It is really awesome.

26. Birute Efe says:

I just saw it too on google+. I really loved the cool frog in there. What a cute craft! Really!

27. Bev Smithson says:

Just wondering if PVC glitter is like the glitter glue ?
    Thanks

28. VBS crafter says:

What did you use to make the froggy leaf? Putty, or clay,etc??