Kids Get Arty - Exploring David Hockney & Photo Montage - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Arty – Exploring David Hockney & Photo Montage

| July 18, 2012 | 27 Comments

Kids Get ArtyWell… where did the last two months go?! Already it is Kids Get Arty time – our chance to explore an artists: looking at what the artist made and how the artists worked. Then have a go ourselves! For this Kids Get Arty session, we decided on David Hockney - hailed as one of the most influential British artists of the 20th century and an important contributor to the Pop Art movement (my, the things I am learning!).

Kids Get Arty will replace the regular “craft slot” – every 2 months  - the NEXT Kids Get Arty will be on 12th September 2012.  If you have kids crafts to link up – please come back next week!

You can also add your fabulous Kid’s art to The Children’s Gallery – there is a special Kids Get Arty section for us – just be sure to add “Kids Get Arty” into the “extra info section” and we can all be together…. This is a great way to see all our projects together over time!

See here for previous Kids Get Arty projects!

We chose Hockney, as my mother in law took us to see his exhibition at the Royal Academy in London a few months back. The exhibition was all about “A Bigger Picture” – Hockney’s larger than life paintings. Pip Squeak and I ADORED it. All those amazingly beautiful and vibrant colours. Red Ted crouched down every so often and started drawing in is notebook (I was rather smitten). He was less interested in the colourful paintings that appeal to his sister and me and was drawn to those paintings showing buildings, structure and roads. One such piece of art was “Pearblossom Highway”.

Here are some of the artwork we saw:

David Hockney

Garrowby Hill (1998) – One of my favourite, I LOVE the lilac winding road!

Arrival of Spring (2011) – Both Pip Squeak and I adore this HUGE painting made up of a number of panels.

pearblossom highway

Pearblossom Highway – Red Ted’s favourite and choice of postcard on his way out.

Pearblossom Highway  is one of the best known examples of David Hockney’s photo collage. Hockney referred to his photo collages as “Joiners” – something he stumbled upon: Disliking the “wide angle lense” photos that contemporaries used (as they distorted images), he would take  a series of polaroid images and join them together to form a large picture. He then realised that the final result told a story and started exploring the medium of photography more. One of his early works is of his mother:

my mother david hockney

My Mother (1982)

The image often is made up of photos taken from different perspective, reflecting Hockney’s interest in Cubism.

Anyway. I digress. So.

Red Ted……. what did he make of all this?! Well the Pearblossom Highway was one ofthe postcards he chose at the end of our museum visit. He calls it his “glass picture” (I guess it looks like shattered glass to him). I asked him what he thought about the picture? How it made him feel? What he liked? What his favourite part was? etc.

About our Piece of Art:

Materials: Photos, paper, glue, scissors

Medium: Photo collage

Subject: The place we stayed at during our holiday in France, photos taken over the course of a week – with varying weather conditions

Photographer: me (!), though I did try to get Red Ted to take some of the photos. However, he found the large camera difficult to handle (he is quite good on the mobile phone camera though and maybe we will try that next time!)

inspired by hockney

We then decided to make a photo collage of our holiday. The focus of course being on photos. I liked the idea of reflecting Hockneys “road”. So we looked for a scenery that included a road as a central focus. I showed Red Ted what it looked like through the camera and then suggested to him, that we broke the picture up and took lots of zoomed in images. I also told Red Ted, that a collage is a great way to add “hidden detail”, that means something to you, or that reflect (in this case) your holiday and that we could add things to our photo collage, that are not immediately apparent… in our case, we added a photo of Red Ted’s quad bike ride, as well as the animals – some horses, sheep, a cockrel etc.

photo montage

It was a great way to explore a real artist, as well as reminisce about our wonderful holiday. The final piece of art means so much more to us,  than it ever will to anyone else! We know what each photo means and why there are some crazy little details. A great keepsake from our time away.

When we finished our piece, Red Ted had another go with the “remaining photos” – making his own collage.

photo collage holiday

Our finished collage, made up of approx 30 photo graphs.

It is difficult to see on the image above the “full effect” or our art, but The Englishman came home and LOVED it. Particularly the big tree on the right hand side came out beautiful. We are going to hang this next to Red Ted’s bed.

I asked him what he thought about the artwork and David Hockney – and he said “it is a crazy idea, but I like it”.

I also asked, why he thought David Hockney made his art – and Red Ted said “Maybe he went to a museum and saw it and wanted to make one too”. I told him that Hockney was one of the first to create photo collages like this and Red Ted pulled an amazed/ amused and very impressed face at this!

This collage is a great example of our “Daily Creativity – Cutting” practice. Good cutting skills were core to the element  of adding hidden detail. Check out the rest of the Daily Creativity series of day to day activities that nurture young artists and give you the tool kit to Get Arty!

Now it is your turn!

Art for kidsSo.. now it is your chance! We woould love to see what Great Artists you have been exploring with your kids and how you approached your arty projects! Come link up. Kids Get Arty is co-hosted by The Imagination Tree, Imagination Soup,  Creative with Kids , Tinkerlab and Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas.

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Arty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site! If you have been aty with your kid’s please link up!

I do hope you have been inspired to Get Arty with your kids and maybe explore a great artist with them too!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Art with Kids, Daily Creativity, Kids Craft, Kids Get Arty, photographs

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Art Appreciation and Creation for Kids | LivingMontessoriNow.com | October 25, 2012
  2. The ABCs of Art History for Kids | January 7, 2013
  1. Ali says:

Gosh, what a wonderful photo montage, I love all the subtle colour differences between the photos. The possibilities for this technique are endless. :)

Oh goodness yes – ENDLESS possibilities! Red Ted wanted me to print out more and more and more photos…..

3. What a great technique – I love the finished picture and it would be great to do this with a day at the beach :)

4. Liz Burton says:

What a fabulous project. Gosh you must have been snapping for hours!

Tell me how you took the shots? You knew in advance you were going to do this?

I’d love to have a go at this. It would be fabulous to have an evolving collage, maybe of your garden that you could keep on adding detail through as the year progresses.

I know I said this before, but thanks SO much for inspiring us to get arty. Not sure I can wait til September for the next one! xx

5. MollyMoo is all linked up – delighted to be involved in this incredible project. I adore the Hockey paintings featured – never saw Garrowby Hill before, and love RedTed’s collage.

6. Sian says:

lovely, the trees are beautiful : )
    and a good way to use up that ink in the printer : ) – but worth it!
    will have to join in for the next one.

7. This is ace – did you keep the same position for taking the photo the main bit obv not the animals and other details)?

Liz – yes, we chose a view. Took a “normal picture” of view for reference. Then standing on sane spot zoomed in and took pictures in “close up”. I roughly did 3 layers of photos.
    Fairy – I did stand in the same spot (ish) but you could vary your standpoint and have that more cubist effect, if that makes sense?

Sian – ahem yes… I did try not to think of ink usage “in the name of art”!!!

10. Jen says:

Fabulous collage! We love working with collages and cutting! Thanks for hosting, we’re all linked up. Love this series!

11. Jen Fischer says:

I love those photo collages! And, I love this series.

Thank you Jen! :-) We had a wonderful time doing it and am sooo pleased how everyo ne is enjoying the series *BEAM*

PS everyone, I am away on Craft Book Photoshoot and can’t wait to stop by and browse all your lovely artwork when back. Please bear with me!!

14. Artchoo! says:

This is awesome! Thank you so much for putting together this linkup. I was so excited when I saw that you were doing it. And I LOVE your site. Now I’m gonna go check out everybody else who linked up…

15. Artchoo! says:

Oh! I forgot to say how much I like your project, too. That’s a really great idea for kids.

Aaah thank you Artchoo! Your site is WONDERFUL so it is LOVELY and so INSPIRING to hear you say that! Thank you.

17. Jennifer says:

I love the collage! I’ve really enjoyed taking part in this for the first time :)

Ah so pleased!!! And hooray for first times!

19. The final picture looks great. I love the way you used the photographs to create a larger picture. Interesting how you liked different pictures at the gallery.

20. Absolutely stunning! And I’m honoured to have seen the real piece of art in the flesh! Such a lovely idea for children (and adults too!)

Awe, thanks Anna, how lovely of you to say!!!

And Rebecca – yes, we are quickly starting to have very different arty interests, but that is lovely and makes the experience all the more enjoyable!

22. This is wonderful! We were going to do some Hockney collages. I will be doing some Hockney collages with my future High School Students.

Oooh now that IS a compliment Melissa!! I would love to see what your high school students will create – will you continue to blog? Would love love love to see what you guys do!

24. Thank you so much for inspiring my daughter to learn about a famous artist with me. We chose to find a famous artist from Japan since we’re learning about that country in our Around the World in 12 Dishes series this month. I share your post on the World Culture Board with MeMeTales Readathon as a reminder that Art is one of the ways that joins our world together and helps to teach our children about other cultures. Here’s the board http://pinterest.com/memetales/world-culture-based-books-activities-crafts-and-le/

25. Jennifer says:

Welcome to a new Linky Party for Kid-Focused Bloggers. Monday Kid Corner is a place to share your kid-friendly activities and crafts. Please join us at http://www.mondaykidcorner.blogspot.com. See you there!