Kids Crafts: Sewing with Kids Lavender Bags - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Sewing with Kids Lavender Bags

| August 1, 2012 | 29 Comments

easy lavender bags easy lavender bagsI am very keen to teach myself all sorts of things.. and sewing is one of them. Well, so long as they are interested that is. A while back Red Ted and made little nature bags, which he LOVED doing, so now I decided to have a go sewing Lavender Bags with him. I saw these lavender bags over at Pink Pistachio and thought that they make  a perfect project for small hands (any hands actually, but good for wee ones too).

The key to making these lavender bags pretty – is cute fabric, small ish in size and nice contrasting embroidery thread.

Materials: fabric scraps approx 8cm x 5cm, embroidery thread, lavender, needle and pinking shears (zig zag scissors)

NOTE: We noticed that some needles where easier to pull through than others and some fabrics were stiffer than others. So try different ones with your little ones and do the harder ones yourself. Whatever makes sewing for your child easier!

lavender craft ideas

1) Cut out your fabric for your lavender bag. We used pinking shears, as they help stop the fabric from fraying afterwards.

teaching kids to sew

2) Instead of tidying a knot when you begin, leave a small piece of thread at the beginning to use for tying at the end. Using a running stitch sew 3 sides of your rectangle.. Don’t worry about it being too even, you don’t notice wonky stitches at the end.

easy lavender bags

3) Fill you bag with lavender. Sew to the end and then knot your two pieces of thread. Done!

easy lavender bagseasy lavender craft ideas

Pretty! Like with all “New skills”, you have to give your child a chance to try it again and again! Red Ted managed 1.5 sides of the first little lavender bag himself. Then got bored. The next day, we made another one together and he did one side. I sat with him and talked him through every stitch “up a bit, down a bit”… I think he did a great job. He is only 4.5yrs old and I am happy that he is even interested in giving it a go. By no means, can he do a whole bag himself and so neatly!! NOTE: I did the majority of the sewing. Please do not be dismayed if your child’s sewing isn’t like the above. This little lavender bags are great for any age group, to give sewing a go. They are relatively easy, look sweet and make great little gifts. Granny will be getting some lavender bags for her birthday for sure!

Check out our other lavender craft ideas:

lavender wands easy lavender craft

1) Lavender wands

2) Keepsakes from onesies

3) No Sew lavender bags

Want more lavender ideas? Take a peak at our Lavender Craft Video:

What to make with Lavender makes and bakes

lavender crafts

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art or to share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

I hope you liked our lavender craft ideas, as well as teaching kids to sew and that you have a go too!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: How To's, Kids Craft, Sewing

Sites That Link to this Post

1. 50 Fine Motor Skills Activities for Children - Love, Play, Learn | October 24, 2012
  2. Kids Craft Ideas | January 6, 2013
  3. Lavender Scones | Kids Chaos | July 23, 2013
  1. Rebecca says:

I really must try this. We have some pretty fabric. I was thinking I would need to punch holes but maybe we could try without.

Do try without – I found I had to try 2-3 different needles and some fabrics are easier than others. Red Ted did the “easy” ones and I did the “tricky” ones!

2. Aly says:

How did he manage to get it so perfect??? My 6 year old is really struggling making hers.We have 10 to make to make for Christmas and I think it’ll take long to get them finished.Well done Red Ted :)

Aly – he only did two sides in total. He couldn’t concentrate on more. This is totally a “start” to sewing, to get him interested and slowly (!) improving his skills. I sit with him and we literally do every stitch together – I say “up a bit, down a bit” etc. I probably (inadvertently) photographed the side I did. Don’t worry, ours wonky too. It is a start!!!!!

PS I think I need to make that clearer in the post. Will go back and amend!

3. Ali says:

What a lovely project, I am slapping myself in the head now….. pinking shears of course, there have often been little sewing projects that we have done and have been cursed by fraying (and me not hemming too) :)

4. Liz Burton says:

These are very cute. I haven’t tried sewing properly with DD yet. I wonder if she’d manage it?

As per my comment to Aly – it is all about starting somewhere, sitting down together. Guiding. Putting it away. Doing some more later… etc basically A START!

5. What a great little project for kids beginning to sew. Thanks so much for hosting the party each week. I love to stop by and link up when I have a new post.

6. These look adorable! Very cool fabric. A good way to use up some scraps. They are also very easy to make for kids a little older who are just learning to use a sewing machine. You can use the same shape and fill with rice or wheat and made heat bags for keeping cold hands warm in the winter. Which it is here in Oz at the moment!

7. Great idea- can’t wait to get sewing with The Fairy (and The Frog too – but the wait will be much longer!)

@Emma – ooh yes, Red Ted is DYING to use the sewing machine! And love the idea of make heat bags out of them for winter pockets!

9. amber says:

What a fun activity. I’ll never forget sewing lessons with my Grandma as a child.

10. dionne says:

What a good idea for a first sewing project. We’ve just gone around the edge of course fabric to try stitching but a little pillow is the perfect mini starter task.

I think it is “satisfying” for kids to be able to finish something! I just remembered that it is also helpful if you draw a pencil line to help children follow a “straight line”…

11. Jen Fischer says:

I love these lavender bags and think we’ll definitely have to make some — and we’ll have to check out your other lavender options. We recently used the lavender we had to make some bath scrubs for my mom for her birthday and oat bath. We had so much fun. I need to get my post about it written!!

Ooooh yes, on our to do list too!!!

13. Those are really sweet. What a great idea to teach kids to sew.

Thank you!

15. These are so cute, Maggy! I just love them. I hope it’s okay if I share them on my Creative Week round-up.

16. So glad you talked about letting him come and go as he pleased and that it’s okay if kids don’t finish an activity. The trying is the important part. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. :)

17. janey says:

Red Ted, this will be good for me and my boy ( grandson who is Austic )… he has trouble with his hands… they shake so bad he can’t do many things but he loves to watch me sew , by hand but most of all with my machine, it can write his name you know, that tickles him alot. but thank you very much for this tute I’m always looking for things for us to do together that he can learn, he is soon to be 14 years old but functions at a 4 to 6 yr. old level at some things, but he is so smart sometimes it amazes me… it’s like all this stuff is locked away in his brain and he can’t get much out… but i love him so much it amazes me that i have a love so deep for him, he just recently started staying the night with me… well i could go on & on about him…. but again thanks so much for this tute…
    P.S. i will be making the spoon & fork wind chimes ( no drill involved ) with him too, he loves thrift stores, we will have fun shopping there for the silverware also…

Awe Janey, what a very lovely message to leave. I am glad you are finding things that you can enjoy together! I bet the “sensory” element of the lavender bags (they smell so lovely) will be nice for him too! And the windchimes and thrift store searching will be a great project together!