Cork Crafts - Easy and Cute Mushrooms Corks

Kids Crafts: Easy Mushroom Cork Crafts

| October 31, 2012 | 27 Comments

mushroom cork craftsThis week we have some adorable cork mushrooms, a classic “cork crafts” idea  (you can also check our our simple cork boats). The kids painted them by themselves with my help. As you can imagine they are very simple to make and yet are great for some imaginative play! Then go off and make some Pipe Cleaner People (or pixies).

Materials: champagne corks, white and red acrylic paint

And yes… I know CHAMPAGNE CORKS!! Lucky for us we have had 3 “big” birthdays recently (check out our Pink Cake and our Chocolate Hazelnut Cake made for the occasion)  AND my in laws are great at collecting these with us. With New Year’s Eve around the corner, why not make these on New Year’s Day?!

1) Paint the stems white. It helped Pip Squeak (aged almost 3years), that I held the cork for her. Let them dry.

2) Paint the tops red. Red Ted (aged 4.75 years) loved doing this all by himself. Let them dry.

3) Add dots (we did this with the end of a kebab stick) and again let dry.

DONE.

Now all you need to make are some super Easy Pipe Cleaner People and away you go!

Oh..and then after about 2-3 days of playing (we made these a couple of weeks ago), the kids got bored (how dare they?!) so I decided to make the 4 that they made into little Christmas Ornaments. Two will be given to Granny, with the kids’ names and dates on them and two will be kept for our tree. I just poked in some craft wire at the top and added a ribbon:

mushroom CraftsJoin the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – I will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

What are your favourite cork crafts? What mushroom crafts for kids have you made?

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Christmas, Kids Craft, Recycling

1. artsy_momma says:

You make the cutest nature & nature-inspired crafts!

2. Your toadstools are adorable! Hmmm. Must buy Champagne. New Year’s you say? I think I can come up with some excuse sooner than that! :)

Awe thanky ou Artsy_momma I was pleased how they turned out!

And yes… Ness… any excuse to get crafty?!?! Reckon it is tax deductable too?! ;-)

4. Jenny paulin says:

These mushroom corks are great ! Very clever and so colourful x

Awe thanks, we were v happy with how they turned out! I think they will look great on the Christmas tree too!

6. Kelly says:

Oh I adore this idea Maggy! And I have a large bag of corks!!

7. Claire says:

So very cute. Thanks for showing us and hosting!¬

8. Roopa says:

Oh my these are adorable!! Now got to go begging for some champgne corks lol :D

Good luck on the champagne cork hunt!

10. the monko says:

These are so cute. And what a shame I’d need to drink some wine to acquire the corks

11. Pinkoddy says:

Oh they are gorgeous. Love how they’ve become presents too.

12. sunnymama says:

These are so cute! What a great idea! :)

13. You’ve got some great ideas here. I shall be passing it on! BWs

14. What a fun craft – so lovely!!!

15. I love these, especially the pipe cleaner people – you are so clever! Great excuse to drink champagne ;)

16. This is great, yet again another wonderful crafty idea!

I’ve just posted about Baby Art and mentioned Red Ted Art with a link to you for crafty ideas.

Lydia x

17. So very very sweet, but where am I gonna get some of those champagne corks? Hmmmmm champagne doesn’t happen very often around here so for now I’ll just enjoy your sweet photos! thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

Ahem.. yes.. therein lies the problem!! Sorry!!! :-)

19. Susan Case says:

These are precious – my favorite. Inexpensive and hands-on.