Welcome back to this week’s Kids Craft. How I love the Chirstmas Crafts season. There are so many wonderful and delightful Christmas Crafts to do with the kids. Each one lovelier than the other and a great way to build those wonderful childhood memories! I particularly LOVE LOVE LOVE these mini Gingerbread houses (Mini Knusperhauschen), again, from Germany. Some of you may know that I love to get Christmas Baking with the kids at this time of year. But some of us are not so keen on baking, others *just don’t have the time*, or could it be *shock horror* that you just don’t like gingerbread? Fear not, we have these ADORABLE mini “gingerbread” houses for you. Ok, so mine are not actually GINGERBREAD nor are they Lebkuchen, but they are cute and they are covered in sweets and they DO look the part. And if you REALLY want to, you CAN make them out of gingerbread. Enough said. Let’s get on with it!
We made these as part of a play date. I am sure you could have ago and make them much prettier, but then the kids wouldn’t be able to have a go…. If you do make them as a part of a LARGER playdate, I recommend doing 1-3 in advance to give the icing sugar time to dry.
- 3 rectangular biscuits (we used “butter cookies” like Balsen or Leipniz),
- a cube biscuit of sorts (we used a waffle cookie, but you could use a marshmallow, in Germany you would use a Christmas “Domino Stein”),
- some small gummi bears or small jelly babies,
- icing sugar (powdered sugar in the US) and water,
- sweets and sprinkles of choice for decorating!
Watch the video or follow the photo steps below! (And subscribe to the channel!)
1) Mix some icing sugar and water into a THICK paste. You really do not want it to be too runny!
2) Add icing sugar to the bottom of your “cube” and stick down.
3) Then add icing sugar to the two long edges of your biscuits and connect the 3 biscuits as per photo. LET DRY! I prepped some for our play date. You can of course start decorating straight away, BUT you may find your biscuits sliding away under the weight of the sweets.
4) Let the kids go loose! (Love that little whizzing hand in the photo… :-))
5) Ta da! Munch away!
Creating a magical Christmas for your kids!
These make wonderful gifts for friends, family and neighbours too!
If you love the more traditional GINGERBREAD HOUSE and the Gingerbread Man.. you may just ADORE these Gingerbread Man Books!