Gingerbread Houses Ideas : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Craft: Easy Mini Gingerbread Houses

| December 5, 2012 | 36 Comments

Gingerbread House Ideas Craft ideasWelcome back to this week’s Kids Craft. How I love the Chirstmas Crafts season. There are so many wonderful and delightful Christmas Crafts to do with the kids. Each one lovelier than the other and a great way to build those wonderful childhood memories! I particularly LOVE LOVE LOVE these mini Gingerbread houses (Mini Knusperhauschen), again, from Germany. Some of you may know that I love to get Christmas Baking with the kids at this time of year. But some of us are not so keen on baking, others *just don’t have the time*, or could it be *shock horror* that you just don’t like gingerbread? Fear not, we have these ADORABLE mini “gingerbread” houses for you. Ok, so mine are not actually GINGERBREAD nor are they Lebkuchen, but they are cute and they are covered in sweets and they DO look the part. And if you REALLY want to, you CAN make them out of gingerbread. Enough said. Let’s get on with it!

We made these as part of a play date. I am sure you could have ago and make them much prettier, but then the kids wouldn’t be able to have a go…. If you do make them as a part of a LARGER playdate, I recommend doing 1-3 in advance to give the icing sugar time to dry.

Ingredients:

• 3 rectangular biscuits (we used “butter cookies” like Balsen or Leipniz),
  • a cube biscuit of sorts (we used a waffle cookie, but you could use a marshmallow, in Germany you would use a Christmas “Domino Stein”),
  • some small gummi bears or small jelly babies,
  • icing sugar (powdered sugar in the US) and water,
  • sweets and sprinkles of choice for decorating!

Method:

1) Mix some icing sugar and water into a THICK paste. You really do not want it to be too runny!

2) Add icing sugar to the bottom of your “cube” and stick down.

3) Then add icing sugar to the two long edges of your biscuits and connect the 3 biscuits as per photo. LET DRY! I prepped some for our play date. You can of course start decorating straight away, BUT you may find your biscuits sliding away under the weight of the sweets.

4) Let the kids go loose! (Love that little whizzing hand in the photo… :-))

5) Ta da! Munch away!

Creating a magical Christmas for your kids!

These make wonderful gifts for friends, family and neighbours too!

Gingerbread House Ideas CraftsJoin the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – I will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

Would love to see what other Gingerbread house ideas you have! What are your all time favourite Christmas crafts? Come check out what we have made!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Christmas, Kids Craft, Recipes

1. Lorie says:

Those are so clever! I just love them.

2. Roopa says:

These look like so much fun and yummy! I am yet to taste gingerbread. But all these decorated gingerbread houses makes me want to try it with Putti. And your ideas seems very easy for us to try! Thanks for sharing.

3. Pinkoddy says:

Oh wow how cool is that. Never thought of using biscuits to build a house. Thanks for sharing.

So pleased you like them ladies!! And Roopa, DO try gingerbread or make these with ordinary cookies!!

5. Vicky C says:

These are awesome, what a lovely idea! Am definitely making these with the kiddies :)

6. These are BRILLIANT. Def doing this with R on the weekend. (PS – can’t believe how big Red Ted is now! He’s all grown up.)

I know!! Looking back on photos from when I first started Red Ted Art, the changes are amazing!! And the photo is of him in his school uniform, which always makes them look older too, I think?!!! :-)

8. HELEN says:

these look fab Maggy! x

9. Maggy, these are amazing!!! x

10. oh love how simple and effective these are. Great festive playdatecraft :)

I hope you all have a go :-)

12. Sian says:

love this idea : ) so pretty and easy to do!

13. Ohhh they look wonderful – I think J would love to make some

I hope you have fun making some! I kind of fancy doing more now!!!

15. maria says:

I love these! they look so pretty and fun to make:)

16. the monko says:

I wonder if I could get a whole one in my mouth all in one go. Only one way to find out …..

The mess!!!!

18. The Monko says:

but it would be delicious mess and mainly in my mouth!

19. Elisa says:

I am definitely going to try these. I’m not sure what icing sugar is, though. Is it something you make or buy?

Hello Elisa – it is Powdered Sugar in the US! You just add a tiny bit of water to make a paste.

21. Rachel says:

Maggy… another amazing idea shared at Red Ted Art. I love these!!! I’m featuring at this week’s party. Thanks for sharing at For the Kids Fridays!

Awe thanks! I do appreciate a feature!!

23. Debs says:

Thanks for linking this to Tuesday Tots Maggie. They are just adorable! I’ve featured it this week. You can see it here if you like :) http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2012/12/10-fun-christmas-food-ideas.html

24. Diana says:

Love this idea! I am not a fan of the traditional house with the little ones because it can be frustrating when the walls fall in! I usually make the edible christmas trees using ice cream cones. The lOVE it! I will try your idea this year and make a snow scene. http://mrsodaniels.blogspot.com/2010/12/edible-christmas-trees.html
    Thanks

25. These are awesome! What a great way to make decorating easier for the littles. Thanks so much :)

26. Otilia says:

This a lovely idea! Not sure my eldest will help from eating them though ;)

27. Brilliant. Children adore icing biscuits, but it’s quite a flat experience for the parent, especially the 50th time you’ve done it. This is a brilliant way to make it far more exciting and interesting to the adults – and the older children too! :)

28. Angelina says:

I just love these, especially that each child can make their own and it’s not too big! Pinning for later for sure! I think we’ll use this for our Christmas party! Thanks for the wonderful idea!