I know that salt dough decorations and salt dough recipes were “all the rage” this winter. Lots of people had ago at making salt dough Christmas tree decorations – which is understandable, as they are salt dough is so easy to make and great fun for both adults and kids. We made salt dough stars and trees for our Christmas tree and also took the opportunity to make some hearts – they look great both for Christmas, AND for Valentine’s.
Easy Salt Dough Recipe:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- UP TO 1 cup of water (less is better!)
- Acrylic Paints for painting
- Cookie cutters
1) Mix your ingredients. Be sure to add the water gradually. I often only use 1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of water. You do not want your dough to be sticky.
2) Roll out to about 5mm.
3) Use cookie cutters to cut your shapes. Use a skewer or chopstick to make holes for hanging.
4) Bake in the oven at 100C for 3-4 hours. Do turn your salt dough items 2-3 times AND re-insert you skewer to make sure that the holes do not bake shut.
5) Once fully dry and cooled paint – I like to let my saltdough out to dry another 2-3 days “just in case”.
6) The kids painted one side and I did the other for them.
They looked great on our Christmas tree, but also will look nice as little Valentine’s decorations. We may give one or two to the children’s friends!