Juice Carton Houses - Red Ted Art's Blog

Juice Carton Houses

| May 8, 2013 | 19 Comments

Fairy HousesThese juice (or milk) carton houses caught my eye a couple of years ago. I think the ones I saw were made from the small milk cartons you get for drinking in schools. But I am afraid, that I can’t for the life of me find the original post! Since then, though I have seen many variations – including cool light ones from Lila A and adorable bird houses and these lovely ones from Mormorsglamour (a nice alternative to ours, as they require no paint!). If you want to make these in a school environment, you may want to use old pieces of wrapping paper or news print to cover your house instead of (acrylic) paints.

Materials: juice or milk cartons, acrylic paints in various colours, optional – pen & paper for windows, but you can paint these on directly

Remember not ALL acrylic colours are OPAQUE – white usually is and pastel colours tend to be opaque (as they contain white pigment). You need an opaque colour to hide all the writing. So you may either want to add a white base layer first or mix a little white with your colour. e.g. that is why our house is light blue!

Diesen Bastelspass gibt es nun auch auf Deutsch: Getränkekarton-Häuschen

Making Fairy Houses

1) Paint your house in bright colours and let dry. We used the juice opening as a “chimney”, you could have cotton wool coming out of it!

Making  Houses

2) Whilst drying get the kids to draw some windows – this is often easier for younger kids than painting windows on. It also allows for “errors” and they can make as many as they like. With mine, we practice drawing squares (and later circles and triangles) – I drew them in pencil and they copied them. They didn’t want to do them purely free hand and I thought it was great practice. I love that Red Ted added a “roof window” for his house. And a long “oblong window like Granny has”.

Fairy Houses Cartons

3) Cut out the windows and stick on. Then I cut a door with a Stanley knife for them and again they coloured them. You could add a bead as a door handle and other details, but the kids where happy with how they were. Add some Stone Ducks and Mushrooms and you are all set…

Milk Carton House

PLAY PLAY PLAY! I love that later a playmobil family moved in.. and that Red Ted (yes, the 5yrs old boy!) loved his house so much, he took it to bed with him!

FairiesJoin the Kids Get Crafty linky party!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art  or share your craft ideas on Pinterest – I will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

What are your favourite drink Carton Crafts?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Recycling

1. Lois says:

You know you have a winner when the finished project gets to sleep in the bed at night. They really are cute and would provide any child with hours of imaginative play.

2. becky says:

am going to have a go with the milk carton houses top idea!

3. Emma in Bromley says:

Aww these are lovely! Reminded me, I’ve got a pin on my Pinterest board for something I’d like to make … A milk bottle igloo! http://pinterest.com/pin/108579040986076457/

Emma xx (@beachpebble)

4. They are so cute Maggy :-)

5. I completely adore these houses and I know my son would too. And of course I love your stone ducks. So much cuteness in one project. Love. Pinned!

6. These are wonderful! I usually buy milk by the gallon, so I will have to make an exception next week in the name of art-making.

7. jet says:

aaaw this is cute, the final picture with the little people in their gardens. Love it.
    Great idea!!!! thank you for the sharing;-D

8. Amy says:

What kind of paint did you use? We tried doing a milk carton school bus a while back and couldn’t get the yellow paint to cover the carton printing even after three coats! So when we made a milk carton princess castle, we had to cover it in construction paper!

We used Acrylics. But I find even with acrylics, that some need a “white base” in order for it to be opaque, if that makes sense. So for example, I have a pale yellow, which is basically a white and a yellow mixed and I have mixed that in with the “normal” yellow to make it opaque. If you don’t want to mix colours (e.g. turn red into pink), I suggest a base coat of white first (boring, I know), but white is opaque and should cover all.

9. bamauthor says:

As usual all your ideas are wonderful, but those juice carton houses bring back memories. I did the same thing with milk cartons when I was a little girl.

10. Maggy thanks for sharing these on The Sunday Showcase. I featured them on my blog this week and pinned them to our Pinterest board.

11. Tilly says:

Thank you for a wonderfully inspirational project. I’ve shared it on my FB fairy page Away With The Fairies.

12. Lysa says:

Great idea!! My 4 year old boy will be delighted!!! Thanks for this!!