We do love Salt Dough Crafts – salt dough is so easy to make and so versatile and I love that it you can make it from household ingredients. So we are sharing our easy salt dough recipe again – as it we love it so much! The key to salt dough is to let it dry out properly. Many report that their recipes don’t dry and that the salt dough remains soft! Be patient. Let it dry, turning frequently!! Check out our Salt Dough Hearts great for Christmas or Valentines!
This year we turned our Salt dough stars into a little star garland – so sweet!
Easy Salt dough recipe:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- UP TO 1 cup of water (less is better!)
- Acrylic Paints for painting
- Cookie cutters
How to make easy Salt Dough Ornaments:
1) Mix your ingredients. Be sure to add the water gradually. I often only use 1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of water. You do not want your dough to be sticky.
2) Roll out to about 5mm.
3) Use cookie cutters to cut your shapes. In this instance we used star cookie cutters. Why not use different sizes? That would look lovely too! Use a skewer or chopstick to make holes for hanging.
4) Bake in the oven at 100C for 3-4 hours. Do turn your salt dough items 2-3 times AND re-insert you skewer to make sure that the holes do not bake shut. Make sure they are fully dried! After baking, I like to leave them an additional 2-3 days if possible – near a radiator to dry out completely!
5) Once fully dry we painted them with gold acrylic paint. You could use spray paint too if you wish.
Of course they work well as individual salt dough ornaments too:
Looking for more Christmas Ornament ideas? Check out: