I love Autumn and I love Christmas – especial DIY Christmas Ornaments! And I love that the two come together… Today I have our “Christmas Elf Babies” – some from Australia and some from our local park. I know we still in October, but I collected some gumnuts from Australia MONTHS ago and recently my son found some mini pine cones in our local park. And I knew a craft I had to make. Some of you may have seen the gumnut octopuses and although I made those in honour of my Australian friends… I did want today’s craft to be for everyone. So you get to choose: Christmas Ornamental Elf Babies made from gumnuts or pine cones!
These lovely Ornaments is also included in our practical, easy to download and print out Christmas Ornament Book. Each craft is shared on one page – making the perfect worksheet print outs. Lovely to have them all in one place too!
Get yours today and keep it forever!
Pine Cone Elves – Materials:
- A wooden bead,
- a gumnut/ mini pine cone,
- felt scraps,
- ribbon scraps,
- hot glue gun or wood glue,
- brush & paint
(affiliate links added)
If you are using wood glue.. there is a certain amount of “sitting there and holding the bits until dries” to do.. that is what is so amazing about hot glue guns – everything sets so quickly!
Pine Cone Elves – How To:
1) Cut a triangle of felt and a felt flower (easiest way, is to cut a circle, then nip it 8 times & round the “nipped parts into petals”)
2) Cut a length of ribbon, a little hole in the two pieces of felt – in triangle – cut the hole close ish to the long side of the trianle, in the circle, cut it at the centre. Thread and tie a knot. Then using a hot glue gun, glue the triangle on, the bead to the flower the flower to the gum nut. Add a little extra glue to help the petals face down a little. Add a ribbon around the centre of the gumnut.
3) Paint on eyes and mouth. Don’t use a pen, as the ink will run into the grain of the wooden bead. A biro MAY work.. test first!
4) Make lots of elf babies. These are our Australian elf babies.
5) For the pine cone elf babies, do exactly the same, just use a mini pine cone. I flatened it a bit frist to help the bead nestle nicely.
It was my first go with the hot glue gun.. so you can see the glue a little.. but all in all I am in love with my new babies!
Here is last year’s Christmas Felt Ornament if you fancy more ideas:
Want MORE Christmas Ornament ideas?! Check out: