Christmas is always such a busy, colourful, exciting time for the kids! We parents, on the other hand, are dealing with pulling a virtual rabbit out of a virtual hat to make the season, gifts, and meals wonderful…….and we could use a bit of help keeping our young ones occupied and learning while we’re doing it. Needless to say, we have plenty of Christmas Crafts for Kids. But today, we’ve got 20 Christmas science activities for kids to get you at least part of the way there!
We have a FANTASTIC selection of ideas for you below.. however, if you fancy a handy downloadable Christmas STEAM Book, I can highly recommend this – from a collection of fabulous experience bloggers (some of which are featured below)…
On to todays Christmas STEAM activities for you to explore and browse!
So… now to our list of Christmas STEAM activities. Hope you enjoy getting sciency and creative like we did. So many fantastic ideas for you to explore today.
- Christmas Thaumatropes Printables – these are super quick and easy to assemble and a great way to explore and learn about Optical Illusions.
- Ice Ornaments – brighten up the great outdoors with these wonderful Ice Ornaments, learn about freezing temperatures with this great nature craft.
- Crystal Christmas Tree Ornaments from Go Science Kids. How lovely these are!
- Christmas STEM Tinkering Trees from Left Brain Craft Brain. This one might be an activity that you’d like to join in when you need a break. Great hands-on learning.
- Christmas Lava Lamp – Science Sparks teaches you how to make this fabulous Lava “Lamp” and the science behind it.
- Pine Cone Science Experiment from Lemon Lime Adventures. A great way to bring in a nature activity.
- Baking Soda Painted Christmas Tree from Inspiration Laboratories. Colourful, exciting play with minimal mess – sign me up!
- Grow the Grinch’s Heart from Creative Family Fun. Add some popcorn and the movie versions, and you have a full day of Grinchy fun and learning.
- Melting Santa’s Hands Ice Melt Science from Little Bins for Little Hands. Not for the hypersensitive, but loads of fun for all the rest of the kids.
- Fizzing Christmas Science Fun from B-Inspired Mama. I love that this one bubbles and fizzes!
- Make your own Forsty Snowman with another great Christmas STEAM activity from Science Sparks.
- Bubbling Christmas Lights from Schooling a Monkey. Combine this one with the activity above to make an afternoon’s worth of Christmas science activities they won’t forget.
- Grow Your Own Christmas Tree by Gift of Curiosity. This is the sweetest idea for a Christmas biology lesson – I love it.
- Types of Evergreen Trees from The Educator’s Spin On It. Perfect to tie in with going to pick your family’s Christmas tree.
- Disappearing Candy Cane Stripes from Playdough to Plato. Candy canes and vanishing stripes make for a fun and tasty experiment to repeat until you all hit your maximum sugar load.
- Circuit-Tree from STEAM Powered Family. A great opportunity to mix science and tree decorating while you get the lights up!
- Christmas Light Table Science Activity from And Next Comes L What a pretty way to learn!
- Sparkly Erupting Christmas Tree from Preschool Powol Pockets Make-your-own volcano fans will be very taken with this Christmas tree with a science twist.
- Fizzing Candy Canes from Teaching Mama. Combine with #11 and a fun movie to spent a minty pre-Christmas day.
- Christmas Boats Sink or Float from Science Sparks. Water play is always a hit, no matter what season. Let them put their swimsuits on while doing this activity because for some reason it always seems to make things more fun.
- How Much Water Does a Christmas Tree Drink from Mama Smiles This could be a great ongoing science project during the holidays.
- How Do Snowflakes Form? From Kitchen Counter Chronicles. Finally, a kid-level demonstration that makes everything understandable – and fun.
- How Much Water is in Snow? From Edventures with Kids. This is a great project to bring some outdoor fun inside on a snow day.
- Christmas STEM: Build an Elf House from There’s Just One Mommy. Build an elf house and spend a lot of time playing with it. What fun!
- Have a go at the Christmas Sleigh Building (complete with adorable Pipecleaner Reindeer) challenge by Rainy Day Mum..
If you have Christmas STEAM activities for children to add to the list, please share them in the comments. Happy holidays!
STEAM ACTIVITY BOOK for CHRISTMAS
As mentioned previously, you can also download this FANTASTIC STEAM Christmas eBook. 25 Days worth of Christmas theme STEAM activities for kids! So fun. choose from the different options – Just the Christmas book, a fabulous Coloring book or the full bundle, which includes the original STEAM Activities book.
It is a great way to keep and reference some fantastic ideas for Christmas.