My kids are starting to get old enough to appreciate the fun of “teasing” or “tricking” people – of course, we always emphasise that you need to keep it friendly and nice – and that tricky any one should be fun and not hurtful or disappointing. So with April Fool’s Day coming up, I thought we would do some April Fool’s Day Crafts – here is a simple DIY April Fool’s Day prank that the kids can make: Fake Spilled Coffee. It is REALLY easy to make and doesn’t need anything particularly “special”.. you can make it with a recycled coffee cup from the shop or an old mug from the cupboard (do not use Daddy’s favourite and always ask first!!!!!).
Here we go – how to make your own April Fool’s Day Spilled Coffee Prop:
This April Fool’s Joke was first shared in Feb 2015… and has been updated for your convenience.
Quick and easy April’s Fools ideas
I appreciate that today’s spilled coffee prank needs a day or two to organise and make (the glue needs to dry). So, in order to not to disappoint you, here are some more ideas that you can most probably organise today! I have to confess, I tend to errr towards the “nicer” pranks. I am not a fan of salt in coffee etc.. so hopefully you will appreciate these too!
- Put a leek with a face drawn on (vegetable) under the sink – and say “there is a leak under the sink” (and internet classic!!!).
- Similarly, put a chip (as in potato fry for UK peeps or a potatoe chip for my US readers) on the windscreen window and run in saying “oh my, there a big chips on your car window”….
- Put googley eyes on EVERYTHING in the fridge
- (For younger kids) fill an envelope full of cheerios to “plant”, they will grow into donuts
- Make Jelly / jello in a cup (add a paper straw for effect) and say it is squash/ a drink
- Print out an impossible “maze” or a “word search with no words” to find (there are some on the Twinkle website
- Unplug the TV or remove (or turn) the batteries from the remote control – don’t say anything, let them find out themselves that it is “broken”
- Cover the (computer) mouse light with a sticker so it doesn’t work
- Take a screen shot of the computer back drop and set it as a back drop itself – so when you click on the icons they don’t work (as they are an image)
- Simlarly, set the iPad screen background to a smashed screen image (get a smashed screen image from a google search)
- The Nutella “poo” joke – go to the loo and ask someone to pass you some toilet paper, then “accidentally” get poo on their hands (aka nutella). Or similarly put some nutella on the toilet door handel
- Simple: put a little water on the chair
- Make “Egg & Chips” for tea – apple cut into chip chunks, yohurt and a dinner peach for the egg
- Chocolate Sprouts – tasty ones, yukky ones
- Toothpaste Oreos – replace the white part of the Oreo with tooth paste
- “School is on today” or similar/ Wake them up in a hurry on a Saturday and tell them they are late for school. Have them rush to get ready/ tonight – after they have gone to bed, reset all the clocks to 6:30am… wake them up at 10pm and pretend it is the morning and get them ready for the day
- Move (younger) kids from their beds into other kids’ beds (sorry – this would have been one for the “night before”)
- Safety pin socks together
- Print out your face and put it under every toilet seat
- Cut out some “Brown Es” and say we are having Brownies for breakfast
- Mix in wasabi peanuts with mini eggs
- Wrap mini plum tomatoes in foil and pretend they are chocolate eggs (use real chocolate egg foil if you have some! Let them have the “real eggs” later)
- Wake up early and tell the kids it has snowed
- Make up some breakfast cereal and let it freeze in the freezer first
- Dye the milk green. Or dye the milk blue and said the cows ate blue grass.
- Similarly, put food colouring in their breakfast bowls and cover with cereal. When they pour the milk it will change colour!
- Tell your child there is a spider in the hair/ on their uniform
- The toilet is smoking prank (really cute!) see more here
- Draw a spider on the 3rd or 4th sheet of toilet paper and roll it back up
- Move the car/ motorbike/ bicycle to a different spot from where it is usually parked up/ locked up. Don’t say anything but when they can’t find it ask if the got stolen?!
- Cover the kids’ bedroom floor with LEGO (oh yes, it is pay back time!)
Loof Lipra Hoaxes. There are many ideas here… but the simplest: Go looking for the highly rare Loof lirpa bird. Hold out a marshmallow and shout Loof lirpa, come get your marshmallow. When nothing comes they’ve to call out the name backwards.
Anyway, hope those are some ideas to keep you going today!
April Fool’s Day Spilled Coffee Prop – Materials:
- Brown paint, or mix your own using red, blue, yellow and white
- PVA (or white) glue
- An old paper cup from the coffee shop
- Grease Proof Paper
April Fool’s Day Spilled Coffee Prop – How To:
1) Take your paper cup – make sure it is washed and dried. Then squirt a little red, yellow and blue paint. Give it a good mix.. add more yellows or whites to make the brown a nice coffee colour (see how we did it in the video below).
2) Once you have a brown you are happy with, squirt in some PVA glue – you will need roughly half and half glue and brown paint. Most PVA glue will dry CLEAR, so don’t worry if your mixture becomes a lighter colour.. it will darken again as the PVA dries.
3) Roll out a piece of greasproof baking paper on a portable tray. Tip your cup onto the shiney side and with a stirrer, help the mixture pour out a little.
4) Now let it dry. And dry some more.. it is likely to take a week or so. You can speed the process up, by putting the tray into a warm airing cupboard.
5) Once fully dry, carefully peel the brown pva mixture off the greaseproof paper. If it doesn’t come away easily or begin to tear, let dry some more!
AND DONE!!! Have fun.
Place your cheeky DIY Aprils Fool’s Prank in different places. We had a real giggle with ours.. The Englishman thought straight away we had spilled some coffee, when in fact our craft was still drying! Check out how we did it on the video!! (and do subscribe!).