Easy Pine Cone Hedgehog DIY
Ah these little Hedgehog critters have been on our to do list for a while. The lovely Kids Chaos made some with clay a while back .. and I thought it would make a great Autumn Craft for Preschoolers if we used our great Salt Dough Recipe. I also love my friend’s Easy Peasy and Fun’s version of these. Such adorable! Salt Dough is so easy to use and so versatile. And you can easily colour it too! Perfect for making these wonderful Pine Cone Hedgehogs. We have lots more Pine Cone Crafts for your to browse! Do take a look (additional links below too!).
Pine Cone Hedgehogs – Materials:
- Pine Cones
- Salt Dough
- Oven or let air dry
- Pencil/ knife (if required)
- Food coloring (for leaves)
Make your Own Salt Dough:
To make salt dough, all you need is 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt and UP to a cup of water. You can also add good quality food colouring to dye your saltdough before drying! When we say “cup” .. any cup works, so long as you keep the proportions the same.
We love using this food coloring – as it REALLY keeps its colour once dry (affiliate links) –
Pine Cone Hedgehogs – How To:
As per usual you can watch the video or follow the written instructions below!
- Lay the pine cone on it side.
- Take one big piece of salt dough – make it onto the ball and stick it to the pointy end of the pine cone. Shape into a head.
- Make eyes with a pencil and a small ball for a nose.
- Make 4 smaller bowls and attach to the sides for legs.
- Taking your red and green coloured salt dough and make small leaves. (See how to colour salt dough here)
- Either bake in over at 80C (on an oven proof dish/ cookie tray) or let air dry.
Want more ideas – take a look at these excellent round ups –