I am very keen to teach myself all sorts of things.. and sewing is one of them. Well, so long as they are interested that is. A while back Red Ted and made little nature bags, which he LOVED doing, so now I decided to have a go sewing Easy Lavender Bags with him. I saw these lavender bags over at Pink Pistachio and thought that they make a perfect project for small hands (any hands actually, but good for wee ones too). We have MANY More easy Sewing Projects for Kids her! And if you are looking for Tip for Teaching Kids to Sew, check this out!
The key to making these lavender bags pretty – is cute fabric, small ish in size and nice contrasting embroidery thread.
Easy Lavender Bags – Materials:
- fabric scraps approx 8cm x 5cm,
- embroidery thread,
- needle and
- pinking shears (zig zag scissors)
NOTE: We noticed that some needles where easier to pull through than others and some fabrics were stiffer than others. So try different ones with your little ones and do the harder ones yourself. Whatever makes sewing for your child easier!
How to make your Easy Lavender Bags
1) Cut out your fabric for your easy lavender bag. We used pinking shears, as they help stop the fabric from fraying afterwards.
2) Instead of tidying a knot when you begin, leave a small piece of thread at the beginning to use for tying at the end. Using a running stitch sew 3 sides of your rectangle.. Don’t worry about it being too even, you don’t notice wonky stitches at the end.
3) Fill you bag with lavender. Sew to the end and then knot your two pieces of thread. Done!
Pretty! Like with all “New skills”, you have to give your child a chance to try it again and again! Red Ted managed 1.5 sides of the first these easy lavender bags himself. Then got bored. The next day, we made another easy lavender bag together and he did one side. I sat with him and talked him through every stitch “up a bit, down a bit”… I think he did a great job. He is only 4.5yrs old and I am happy that he is even interested in giving it a go. By no means, can he do a whole bag himself and so neatly!! NOTE: I did the majority of the sewing. Please do not be dismayed if your child’s sewing isn’t like the above. This little lavender bags are great for any age group, to give sewing a go. They are relatively easy, look sweet and make great little gifts. Granny will be getting some lavender bags for her birthday for sure!
Check out our other lavender craft ideas:
Want more lavender ideas? Take a peak at our Lavender Craft Video:
Have you given sewing with kids a go? It really isn’t as hard as you think and you will find that the kids adore it! Check out our teaching kids to sew article! As well as our great Sewing Projects for Kids!