Orange Scented DIY Mulled Wine Kit
Today, I have a fun grown up DIY gift for Christmas/ hostess gift! Though I SAY it is grown up, you can use these DIY Mulled Wine Kit to go in hot cranberry, grape or orange juice drinks (or a combination of all three) for kids too… so, DO use them in alocohol free hot drinks this Christmas season too. What I love about this DIY Mulled Wine Kit, is that, not only does it use my most favourite Dried Orange Slices DIY, but it makes a wonderful little bring a long gift during the holiday season too.. whether you are using it as a a holiday hostess gift, a gift for neighbor, a teacher appreciation gift or an addition to someone Christmas stockings.. this is a great little DIY gift you can get started on now already!
These mulled wine recipes can of course me made fresh in a big pot at your own holiday party. What I love about using dried ingredients, is that you can package these up in cheese cloth/ mulin bags or paper bags and make them as individual gifts to include in Christmas stockings or gift – e.g. as a teacher appreciation gift – in the run up to Christmas!
Can you make mulled wine with white wine?
YES! Making white wine mulled wine, is indeed a “thing”. It is especially popular down under, as per this receipe from Taste AU or Robust Recipes show! I am pretty certain you can create your own white mulled wine kits too. But confess, not to have tried this myself yet!
How do you make dried orange slices for mulled wine?
Making dried oranges for any mulled wine, is exactly the same process drying oranges for decorating and crafting. Though there are some things to consider – colour, flavour and longevity. I personally, like to not “fully” dry my oranges when crafting with them – as it means, they remain a vivid orange for the holiday season, turning a darker brown in subsequent years. I can also imagine that a brighter orange (i.e. less dried orange) is ideal for mulled wine making. HOWEVER, if you are putting together little bags of spices, you don’t want any moisture left in your orange as it can affect the rest of your spices and may go mouldy. To get around the “risk” of this, I love to tie the dried orange slices to the OUTSIDE of the spice bag – that way, it also looks pretty and can continue to dry a little longer. PLUS, you can pop the spice bag into your mulled wine whole and let the oranges float on top. Win win.. no spices to pick out of your cup!
What else do you need to make your own mulled wine kits
- Cheese cloth and twine or a draw string muslin bag, though you can pop this into paper bags of empty into a pot of wine… but this would need a little straining afterwards
- Baker’s twine or similar for tying/ tying on the dried oranges
Ingredients of your choice:
These ingredients can be mixed and matched to suit your pallet. But keep reading for specifics that we like to use!
- Dried ginger
- Laurel leaf
- Whole cloves
- Star anise
- Dried fruit
How o make spices mulled wine kits – traditional recipe
Scroll down for other options. But this is most traditional mulled wine spice combination.
To make 5 mugs/ cups of mulled wine or use with one bottle of 750ml wine (i.e. five kits designed for one mug)
- 1 -2 large orange (it always varies how many dried slices i get from one orange, but you will need one per kit)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5 whole allspice
- 2.5 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks (cut in half – i.e. half a stick per kit)
- optional 1 vanilla pod, sliced open and cut into 5 piece
Devide the above ingredients into five muslin bags and tye a dried orange slices to the outside. Write out the wine making instructions below and attach!
Larger Hostess Gifts
Alternatively, you can use ALL the ingredients outlined above and add them to one bag. Then use a holiday hostess gift by adding:
- a bottle of 750ml red wine
- a small carton of orange juice (optional)
- a mini bottle of Cointreau or Grand Marnier
How to make a cup of mulled wine with this kit
- a cup of fruity red wine (approx 200ml)
- You will need a couple of table spoons of orange juice (optional)
- a teaspoon of sugar (optional)
Pour a cup of red wine into a mug (for measure). Pour the wine into a small sauce pan.
Add your mulsin bag (or empty if, if you wish, but you can use it like a tea bag) + your dried orange.
Leave for 5 – 15 minutes (on low heat) – leave longer if you would like a strong infused spice taste.
Remove the spices (but leave your orange).
Add a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of orange juice if you wish.
Your mug of mulled wine is ready to enjoy!
Dehydrated Lemon, Stem Ginger, Dehydrated Orange, Cinnamon, Cloves, Bay Leaves and Muscovado Sugar create that cosy aroma and familiar taste which is perfect for wintery nights. Foolproof and delicious, they make lovely gifts.
Just add 200ml of your favourite red wine to the jar, give it a shake and then leave overnight to infuse. Heat through on a stove with the remaining 550ml of wine and enjoy!
More mulled wine kit recipe combinations
Again – makes 5 kits or can be used for one 750ml bottle of wine.
- 5 dried orange slices
- dried apricots – cut into 5 equal parts
- 2.5 cinnmaon sticks – half per parcel, if making for one large pot, 2 sticks is enough
- 5 cloves (if making a large pot add a couple more)
- Ideally break up one 1 star anise – but that is hard to do.. star anise also looks pretty, so you may want add one in each pack! So 5 star anise
- Had a quarter tea spoon of dried nutmeg powder
- 1 vanilla pod cut into 5 segments
- caster sugar (again add this as a tea spoon of sugar with your heating instructions)
Or try a Swedish Glögg recipe DIY Kit
Again the following will make either 5 Swedish Glögg kits or 1 kit for one bottle of wine.
- 5 Dried Orange Slices
- 2 dried orange zest (you can use the “end bits” of your oranges to make this when drying your orange slices)
- 2.5 tablespoons raisins (approx half a table spoon per kit)
- 5 cardamom pods (green)
- 5 teaspoons of powdered ginger or a piece of dried giner chopped
- 1 cinnmaon sticks cut into 5 smaller pieces (it will crumble, but that is what the muslin bag is for!)
- 10 cloves
- 10 sugard or blanched almonds
- 2.5 tablespoons raisins (approx half a table spoon per kit)
- 1/2 cup sugar
Optional – add a mini bottle or two of whiskey, rum or vodka to the gift set! Then all that is needed is a bottle of wine when heating!
Anyway! I hope you feel inspired by these different recipe suggestions! And have a go at making your own Mulled Wine Kits this holiday season!