We do love a good Newspaper Craft Idea! Newspapers are so cheap (often free now a days) and surprisingly versatile. Today the lovely Rainy Day Mum shares a great Painted Newspaper 3D Heart Bunting. I love that newspapers make such a lovely Valentine Decorations and it is the second Valentines Newspaper Garland in this 31 Days of love series! Remember we have a great set of ideas grouped into Valentine Craft Ideas for Preschoolers, Valentine Day Treats, Valentines STEAM Activities and Valentine Cards for Kids too!
Over to Cerys!!
Love is in the air and there are hearts everywhere which the perfect time to raid the recycle bin and get crafty with the kids to create some decorations for the home. This 3D heart bunting made with newspaper is a fun easy craft for Valentines’ Day perfect to make with preschoolers and above.
Materials needed to make the 3D Heart Bunting
- Newspaper – the more text in the better
- Watercolour paints
- Hole Punch
- Ruler (optional)
How to make your 3D Painted Newspaper Heart Bunting
You will need to do this craft over a full day or like us a couple of days to allow the newspaper to dry.
Tear out pages from a newspaper which are mainly text.
Set up to watercolour – we used watercolour blocks and I provided large brushes as well as pots of water.
As this was for valentines I suggested to the children that we should think about pinks, reds and oranges but you may see the occasional blue and green in the hearts as well!
Then they painted. Large brush strokes along the length of the paper are best.
With the sheet was painted move it over to the counter to dry – overnight I placed them in the laundry room (the warmest room in the house) to dry thoroughly.
Once dry it’s time to cut up your newspaper strips – two different sizes can be made from the painted newspaper either cutting the paper across on the short edge or cutting up on the long edge. Both sizes are good for making the hearts.
Each heart can be made from 2 or 4 pieces of paper.
To make a simple 3D heart from Newspaper
- Take two pieces of paper the same length.
- Fold both in half.
- Now take one piece and open up – fold each end into the middle to form a heart.
- Take the other piece of paper and place in the middle so that it touches the centre fold.
- Staple in place
- Then hole punch at the top.
To make a heart with 4 pieces of paper.
- Take 1 long piece of paper and 3 short pieces of paper
- Fold the long piece in half and put aside
- Take one of the short pieces and fold in half
- Open up and then fold each end to the middle
- Take the other two pieces and fold but don’t crease to make a tear drop shape with the ends touching.
- Take your heart shape and around each of the loops place one of the tear drop shapes
- Now take your long folded piece and place in the middle
- Staple at the bottom making sure to include all of the pieces
- Then hole punch at the top
Hanging the Hearts onto Bunting
- Take a ribbon and cut to your desired length leaving enough room either side to attach it easily
- Thread the hearts onto the ribbon
- Hang up and arrange the hearts evenly along the ribbon
Quick fix for a Wonky Heart
If you notice that the heart is wonky then you can staple the heart together in the centre so that it doesn’t flop around.
Other Crafty Ideas from Rainy Day Mum to make with the kids
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher and Mum of 2. She started Rainy Day Mum in 2011 as a way to inspire other parents to spend quality time as a family with ideas for crafts, recipes that taste delicious and can be cooked together, family trips and activities for supporting learning. Come and join her over on Facebook where she hopes to inspire, make you laugh and to LIVE fully with kids in your life.
I do hope you take the time to visit Cerys’ blog. In the meantime, if you are after some more Newspaper Craft Ideas we have a great selection for you to browse and bookmark.
There are also many more wonderful Valentines Decorating Ideas for kids to make here –