How to... make Austrian Angels: Weihnachtsengerl (Guest Post) - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… make Austrian Angels: Weihnachtsengerl (Guest Post)

| December 3, 2010 | 27 Comments

Ok ok ok. Maybe these are NOT JUST Austrian.. however, they are made by a very lovely friend of mine, Andrea, who IS Austrian and who lives in Austria, so by default, these are Austrian Angels, aka Weihnachtsengerl. Also, I remember making angels LIKE these when I was younger. Andrea, told me that she sat down to craft these with her 2.5 year old son, but that he ran off to play with his father instead. So. Technically, you can get kids to help you with these, however, we both recommend you do this in the ABSENCE of fathers who make for very good distractions! Over to my good (non bloggy) friend Andrea:

To make these little angels, you will need

Materials: some coloured paper ( I used dark blue),  some old tights or 15 DEN stockings, cotton wool, gold foil, some string, glue and crayons and star stickers.

1. Start by cutting out some  semi-circles (about  13cm in diameter). At this point, you can decorate the semi-circles with crayons and/or star stickers, or have your children do it for you.

2. Then make the head. Make a little ball with the cotton wool and tighly wrap a piece of stocking around it. Tie up with a piece of string, (use a longer bit of string if you want to use it to hang up the angel).

3. Roll the semi-circle into a cone and cut off a bit of the top to make room for the angels “neck” (the stocking edge) to fit through.

4. Wrap the paper around the “neck” and glue into a cone.

5. Now cut out the wings from the gold foil and glue onto the angels back.

6. Glue some cotton wool hair onto its head (this will take a little practice, your first one is bound to have a “bad hair day”).

7. Use a felt tip pen to draw some eyes and mouth.

Decorate your living room with lots of little angels and let them spread some good vibes!

Linking with

Visit thecsiproject.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Christmas, How To's

1. Salma says:

Great idea to decorate the Christmas tree!

And a lovely way to get the colours that you want for your decorations…

3. Scuttlebug says:

Love these. Will attempt to make them together with my boy

4. They are so lovely! How clever and perfect for little hands to make.

5. Liz Burton says:

How beautiful!

And finally, I might have found my first use for my protractor since I left school ;0)

Thanks for the tutorial.

6. Absolutely beautiful! My 10yo daughter and I will love making these!

7. Nils says:

These are so cute! And it’s an excellent step-by-step tutorial, really easy to follow. Now all I have to do is find some old tights :)

8. This looks wonderful :) I’ll be making some of my own, and maybe I could even get little one to help :)

9. Cid says:

How sweet! We’ll be making these this afternnon.

10. Amy says:

That is amazing.. Have an amazing weekend. Next week on Friday is my Round Robin…

11. Gattina says:

That’s funny looooong time ago I learned that at school in Germany, lol !

Aaah so pleased that the little Angels are spreading some light and reviving some childhood memories (Gattina).

Hope that lots of new Angels will be making their appearance soon!

Maggy x

13. J says:

This would be such a fun project to do with kids. I may round up my nieces and nephews to do this. So adorable.

14. mermaid says:

I like this angel as well. I was thinking of making something similar but I didn`t have any big beads to use for the head. So the cotton ball and stocking idea is very good. Will deffinitely make some.

Mermaid – I have to say, I liked the “Tights Head” best too – as always finding hard to attached wooden balls to things!! Andrea is clever!! Enjoy making angels, we will!

16. marlis says:

I remember making this with my grandmother.. thanks for sharing.

17. Very sweet! I’ll have to file this away for a rainy (or snowy!) day. :)

18. So lovely, I can totally see the similarity to my winterwhite angels that you pointed out when I posted mine! Cheers!

Yes, you are right, they are very similar – guess most “Continental Europeans” make these!!! I don’t think my friend Andrea saw yours, but I have added yours to Winter Sparkle Get Crafty!

19. Amanda says:

These are so so so cute! I love them :) Can you drop me an email, I have a question for you :)

20. Thanks so much for posting your darling angel.

Cheri

21. Falak says:

These are so beautiful. Love them.