Kids Crafts: Peanut Finger Puppets - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Peanut Finger Puppets

| December 28, 2011 | 40 Comments

peanut finger puppetsfinger puppetsWell.. as you know it is Christmas in our dolls’ house too. Last week we made some little Christmas presents. I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas festivities!! Today we have little Peanut Puppet Dwarves for you. I apologies in advance for those of your with Peanut or nut allergies in the family. Please do NOT read on. Pip Squeak ADORES sticking the lids of pens on her fingers. She is forever doing it (which can be a little boring when you have to match all the pens and lids back up again). So when I saw Peanut Puppets on my crafty journey, I knew I had to make some. I confess however, that I cannot remember WHERE I saw them. I think it was in a craft book (I get to review them every so often). So, I apologise for not crediting someone properly. The original I saw, were made for “Halloween” and included a little bat and ghost.

Also.. this is a craft that I ended up making FOR the kids. Though Red Ted did help me paint he dwarves coats a little. I do want to make some with them to do.. and we will probably have a go at creating little imaginary beings over the coming days. But I really fancied some dwarves… especially as the peanut shape is PERFECT for dwarf hats!

The Book/ The Story

Snow White: And the Seven DwarfsSnow White and The Seven Dwarves, by Laura Ljungkvist.

Well… do I really need to tell you the story of Snow White? Surely, *everyone* knows this classic Brother Grimm’s tale. It has of course been popularised by Disney and many images of Snow White that will pop into your head when her name is mentioned are indeed Disney’s! We have a collection of Grimm’s tales in German at home. But as a fan of Laura Ljungkvist (you may remember her Follow  The Line books) I also love this version of Snow White. As with previous titles you can “trace” the story by following the line throughout the book.  Quirky. Bold. Wonderful. And certainly a change to your standard Disney!

The Craft

If like us, there is always a bowl of nuts to crack and peel at Christmas, then these are for you. They are an awesomely thrifty craft, as you get to still eat your nut! And then play with the “waste”.

Materials: whole peanuts, acrylic paint, brush, cotton wool & glue (optional)

peanut crafts peanut crafts

1. Cut the bottom of your shell off and carefully shake out your peanuts

Smurf crafts

2. Look at your peanuts – what creatures do they remind you of? I actually made a Smurf first. Just irresistable. But my children don’t know the Smurfs, so there was no point in making more. Dwarves it is. Which is great, as Pip Squeak is learning her colours and Red Ted can practice counting.

finger puppet crafts finger puppets

3. Paint.

finger puppets finger puppets finger puppet craft finger puppet peanuts

4. Play!

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Would love to see any special finger puppet creations! Or have you made something out of “something unusual” like peanuts?

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Nature, Recycling

1. Those finger puppets are adorable! And so is Pip Squeak =)

They are rather fun to make.. and quite addictive… we keep on wanting to make more and more and more…

3. Esther says:

Wow! What a coool recycling craft! you are the queen of simple and adorable crafts! I love Pip squeak\’s laugh!

4. So imaginative!! This will be great for storytelling. Your daughters\’ glee is contagious!

Esther – yes, Pip Squeak\’s delight was rather special!

Rebekah – most definitely.. I will have to come up with lots of new characters so we can make up lots of stories. At the moment I sing \”7 little dwarves, standing on the wall..\”. Not that imaginative. Sigh!

6. Christy says:

Oh, this craft is just adorable. I have to try it. The extra bonus will be that my kids have never seen peanut shells – I always buy shelled nuts. I bet they will get a kick out of this! I LOVE the pictures – SO cute!!!!

Oh yes, if they have never seen a peanut shell it really will be fun!

8. What gorgeous photos of PipSqueak! Cute idea for easy puppets too!

9. These are so cute, looks like a bunch of fun to play with.

10. Jackie says:

Oh, such cute peanuts and such cute kids! I\’m so excited about this fairy tale from Laura L? (I\’m not going to attempt the last name;) We love her books. I have to get this one!

11. That is very creative. I love it!

Aaah thank you everyone! And yes, Jackie, big thumbs up for the book – especially if you are fan anyway!

13. The Monko says:

those peanut puppets are the cutest thing ever. So happy Goblin doesn\’t have any peanut allergies, we\’ll be making some of them as soon as I can track down some peanuts. Ones with shells on are surprisingly hard to come by.

Tell me about it! I find that in the Uk you ONLY get them at Christmas or in the speciality shops that have \”produce from around the world\”!

15. This is so much fun! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. Carolyn

16. Pinkoddy says:

They are brilliant. I\’m thinking I need to sign up for updates from this site as I have 4 boys that would love all these things you are making. Thanks for sharing.

Aaaah how fabulous and great to have you on board!!

18. momto8blog says:

wow! great idea! i learn something new everyday! I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

19. emma says:

they\’re adorable but we couldn\’t do them with our peanut allergies :( I might see if acorns work as well.

Will do! Thanks for the invite!

21. RubyJeans says:

Oh MY GOODNESS!!!! are these just not the CUTEST things ever… You won\’t believe this But I just bought a BAG FULL of peanuts for a photo shoot today… SO you know what I will be making… I would LOVE for you to share them here http://shoprubyjean.com/2012/01/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-4-and-giveaway/

22. Those little puppets are too cute…definitely going to have to try this one!

23. michelle says:

hahaha, very clever!

24. Lindsi B says:

This is fabulous! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-5.html

Done!

26. Aimee says:

That is the cutest idea EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be featured this weekend! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase Have a happy New Year friend!

Aaah thank you :-) much appreciated!!

28. Isil says:

How did I not see these before?Fantastic!

29. Summer says:

Wow, I chanced upon your blog recently and have been amazed and blown away by all the fantastic craft ideas here. I love art and craft and it\’s so nice to be able to read on all the different ideas. Have nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award, details here http://ahappymum.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blogger-award-it-just-made-my.html. Keep the great job going!

Cheers,
    Summer

30. Summer says:

Hihi, I chanced upon your blog recently and am blown away by all the fanstasic craft ideas you have here. Yes, I love art and craft and it\’s awesome to read on all the different ideas. Have nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award, details found here http://ahappymum.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blogger-award-it-just-made-my.html. Keep the great work coming!

Cheers,
    Summer

31. mezo says:

I am a pre school teacher I HAVE VIST YOUR SITE I LIKE THE CRAFT SO MUCH IT WILL BE GRAT HELP FOR ME THANKS