Kids Crafts: Paperbag Craft Challenge - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Paperbag Craft Challenge

| February 6, 2012 | 55 Comments

Paper bag craftsYou may have seen the magazine craft challenge a couple of month’s ago, now there is a fabulous Paperbag Craft challenge by Tinkerlab. I always get into a creative tizz when it comes to Tinkerlab’s challenges, as all the blogs taking part have such wonderfully creative ideas.

After much pondering, we finally came up with our paperbag craft. I knew we wanted to make a paper bag mask of some sort, just not which.

Then one day… Red Ted, Pip Squeak and I were sitting on the sofa and reading one our much loved books and the idea came to me -

The Book

Where The Wild Things AreWhere the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak. I am a HUGE Maurice Sendak fan – ever since I had his nutshell library as a little girl.

Needless to say I am chuffed that the children adore Where the Wild Things Are. We do like a good rumpus. And as luck will have it Pip Squeak is currently “reading” this book at nursery too.

If you don’t know the book, then you really must get hold of a copy – a real childhood classic. Max is a little boy who has been sent to his room for being naughty and rude to his mother (without any supper). Once up there he begins to day dream and goes off into the land of Wild Things, where he is the wildest of all and becomes king. Eventually, he misses home and his family so he returns, to find that his mother has brought up some lovely supper for him.

Fabulous Sendak illustration and quirky drawings. Highly recommended.

The Craft

I decided that paper bags are perfect for masks. They fit so neatly over one’s head. We had snaffled 3 paper bags from my mother in law, as they are not that common here in the UK. And two were perfect for the craft.

Materials: One paper bag per mask, acrylic paint (it won’t crumble), scissors and glue. For Max’s crown, we also used a bit of very thick felt that came from somewhere random.

If acrylics are not your thing, why not use coloured card or felt?

The Wild Thing:

were the wild things are craft

1) We first made our wild thing. I shaped some horns out of the top of the bag and secured it with tape. This serves two purposes – 1) we have some horns and 2) the bag fits Red Ted a little better. Of course you can just glue some horns on and cut the paper bag down a little!

were the wild things are craft

2) Then we “located Red Ted’s eyes and cut some holes.

paper bag crafts

paper bag crafts

3) Now the painting and decorating started. Some big yellow eyes, a big brown nose. Triangles for teeth…. We painted some extra paper dark brown for the shaggy hair and beard. Then cut strips and stuck them on.

paper bag crafts

Done!

For Max

paper bag crafts

1) I trimmed the bottom part of the paper bag off – this is to create a better fit for Pip Squeak. I kept this paper and we painted it gold, to be used as a crown later.

wild things crafts

2) Using Red Ted as a guide, I cute a “face shape”.

maurice sendak crafts

paper bag crafts

3) Then we painted it all white. I pinched and glued down the sides down a little to make the “Max shape” (rather than have a square face).

where the wild things are costume

4) Cut the crown and cello tape it to the top and add your piece of white felt (or use paper or use cotton wool)!

where the wild things are costumes

Done!

This is what Pip Squeak thought of it all (she was napping whilst we were crafting)

where the wild things are costumes

paper bag craft ideas

What do you think? Do you like Where The Wild Things Are crafts? What have you made? I wonder what everyone else’s paper bag craft will be!!!

There is also a competition over at Tinkerlab’s site  - go and check it out! You can add a photo or link in the comment section to win!

Come up and join Tinkerlab’s Paper Bag Craft Challenge BLOG HOP – ONE POST ONLY PLEASE:

Other blogs joining in the challenge -

Paint Cut Paste, Imagination SoupHands On: As We Grow, Child Central Station, Putti Prapancha, Irresistible Ideas for Play-Based LearningTeach Preschool, The Chocolate Muffin Tree, Nurture Store, Small Types,Make Do & Friend, The Imagination Tree, Toddler Approved, Red Ted Art, Kids in the Studio, Rainy Day Mum, Glittering Muffins, Sense of Wonder, Mom To 2 Posh Lil Divas, Come Together Kids, My Creative Family, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, A Mom With A Lesson Plan, Angelique Felix, The Golden Gleam, Clarion Wren, Living at the Whitehead’s Zoo, Let Kids Create, De tout et de rien, PlayDrMomCreativity My PassionKiwi Crate, Tinkerlab

Don’t forget to share your Paper Bag Crafts!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Costumes, Halloween, Kids Craft, Paper Crafts, Party Ideas, Recycling

1. Oh — my — goodnes!!! Maggy, these are adorable! I love Where the Wild Things Are, but my kids not so much. It\’s great that you were able to bring the characters to life for your kids, and have them play a part in the process.

Oh thank you Rachelle! So lovely of you to say! Yes, can see why not all kids like the book (it is a bit like the Gruffalo – why would you like big ugly monsters??)… :-) Can\’t wait to go off now and see what everyone else made. Such a fabulous challenge! Thank you for organising!

3. Vanessa says:

Oh my golly. They are AMAZING. Hurrah!
    *brain starts ticking, starts looking for paper bags!*

4. Liz Burton says:

Goodness Maggy, your children are so obliging!!

LOVE the masks, they are fabulous.

I\’m a big Sendak fan too. x

@Vanessa would love to see what you make

@ Liz – Aren\’t they just? I am very lucky that for now they like posing!!

6. Jude says:

Fantastic masks – I had originally planned to do masks too – but nothing as good as these!

7. Rachel says:

Pinning this because it is amazing :)

9. OH my goodness! Brilliant, Brilliant, did I say BRILLIANT!? They look adorable Maggy!

That is one of our favorite books and your masks just brings the story to life – I am pinning this!

10. You know what I think about these already, but of course a comment is nice too…so they are GORGEOUS!! So impressive and I can\’t wait to do something similar when C is a bit older. Wonderful results and very happy adorable children ;-)

11. Roopa says:

These are amazingly wonderful Maggy!! love them!!! I need to go beg/borrow some big bags now to try something like these:))

Oh my, dear lady friends, I pop out and I come back to all these lovely comments!! **THANK YOU** :-)

13. These masks are great! Love the WIld Things and what a fab idea!

14. Wonderful masks! Your kids look cute in them!

15. I predict that 15 years from now, the picture of your two WonderPeeps together will be one that melts your heart. It\’s one of those classics that will make you sigh, as they\’re getting ready for graduation festivities and it catches your eye on the mantle place.

KUDOS. Such a treasure.

Debbie Clement

16. amber says:

These turned out so good. Very Very cute!

17. I love those! They are perfect masks and i bet your kids loved making a RUMPUS in costume!

@Debbie you say the nicest things!
    @Jill oh yes indeed.. mine are very good at Rumpusing!!!

Thank you for all your very kind comments! I think we need to go off and play Wild Things again now.

19. se7en says:

Man those are just totally superb!!! Stunning!!! We had a Wild Thing Party last year that I think you would enjoy: http://www.se7en.org.za/2009/09/03/where-the-wild-things-are-party-in-se7en-steps

20. artsy_momma says:

Those turned out soooooooo good! Coolest Paper bags ever :)

21. Eva Scott says:

These are seriously so adorable! I have a friend who loves this story. I\’m going to share with her!

22. Allie says:

HI Maggy! I featured these cute masks on my blog today! Stop by and grab a button if you wish. I LOVE them. So creative. http://www.missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-favorite-things-thursday.html

Oooh thank you for the feature!

24. Brittney says:

These are absolutely wonderful! I wish I had half the talent to come up with something like this for my kids!

25. Trisha @ Clarion Wren says:

Great masks for a great book!

Thank you so much for your oh so lovely comments and yes, the book is BRILLIANT!

27. Marissa says:

These are amazing! What child wouldn\’t have fun making these – not to mention playing with them!

28. Love your paper bag masks, love the book too! Thanks so much for sharing this and all your projects on Craft Schooling Sunday! Could you please send me a large version of the last photo of the post (with the 2 kids) so that I can feature this? Thanks so much!

29. Those are brilliant!

Being not so brilliant myself, I just realized that I submitted two projects (St.George and Harry potter unit) on the wrong linky list. Sorry about that!

30. The Monko says:

your paper bag masks made me smile, they look fab.

31. I love this! Found you on Skip To My Lou. Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/fun-stuff-fridays-11.html

32. Liz says:

Thank you for sharing this great idea! One of the dress-up days for March is Reading MOnth at my kiddos\’ school is dress as your favorite book character. These masks will be perfect.

33. Oh this are so fab. I love them!

34. Annie says:

These look so cool! Forget the kids – I want to make one for me !

35. Keitha says:

Those are the cutest bags ever!

36. Rachel says:

You’ve saved my life, thanks. My child’s Grade 1 class are doing “Where the Wild things are” for the school concert, and I was stumped for costume ideas..these will be prefect, thanks.

37. Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing. I’m excited about adding these and your adorable witch costume to my list!

38. doro K. says:

i like it, too. perfect for little boys.

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

39. Fantastic! I adore this idea. It gives the wild things exactly the right amount of ‘bigness’ and otherness! I wrote a piece for the Guardian about making Max’s wolf suit for World Book Day. Next time I use the costume I’m going to make a horde of paper bag wild things too!

Many thanks for sharing!

My Max: http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site/2013/mar/05/world-book-day-make-max-costume-where-wild-things-are

40. Hi there,
    I’d love to feature this craft on a Wild Things collection post. If you are ok with it can I show the picture on my site with a link to this post? If so, email me the pic at nduggan2@gmail.com
    Thanks!

41. Mila says:

It is really cool project and I added it to my Halloween Craft Collection! You can find it in my Sweet Garden