Kids Crafts: Cotton Wool Lambs - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Cotton Wool Lambs

| February 28, 2012 | 37 Comments

sheep craftWelcome back to this week’s Kids Crafts – our wooly little lambs. We actually made this lamb craft a year ago for an article in Guardian “Creativity in the Classroom” … and finally it is time to share it here on Red Ted Art too. Hooray. You can make this sheep craft at any time of year, but I do think they are particularly lovely in Spring or for Easter. Another lovely use, is to maybe use it as a mobile for a new baby? Wouldn’t that be a lovely craft for older siblings to make for a newborn – creating a lamb mobile for their new brother or sister? They are sooo simple, sooo easy and sooo cute!

sheep craft

Materials: card – white or coloured, cotton wool, scissors, glue and pen.

sheep craft

1) Fold your card in half and draw a simple outline as above. The fold of the card, will be the ridge of your lamb’s back. Last year, I did all the cutting and Red Ted got to stick on the cotton wool. We made more this year. Red Ted (4) really enjoyed having a go at the cutting. Yes, it was still a challenge, but he did manage one and was sooo proud. He also loved drawing on the eyes and “smiling mouths”. Happy Sheep Craft indeed!

easter craft for kids

2) I used the card from between the legs to cut out two pieces for the head. Glue the two pieces together, with the bottom left hand corner being inserted over the top right corner of the body. (see picture).

3) Let the kids add all the cotton wool on both sides. This year both kids had fun doing this. Hooray for fluffy sheep! Lovely. Tactile. Fun.

4) Make lots – create a mobile or a garland. Have fun with your sheep craft!

sheep craft

The Kids Get Crafty party is co-hosted by Creative with Kids, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

What lamb and sheep crafts have you made?

Tags: ,

Category: Easter, Kids Craft, Spring

1. Your sheep is adorable!

We\’ve put cotton wool on sheep before, but only one-dimensional ones. I love that yours stands up on its own!

2. Roopa says:

Oh my it is so adorably cute!! And it is 3D!!!

We\’ve made handprint sheep with wool before, and will have to try yours:)

Thank you MaryAnne & Roopa! :-) Yes, the fact that they stand up seems to delight the children!

4. Esther says:

So adorable! I like the simplicity of the craft and the fun!

5. Ahhh bless, my three would love making these! Baaa baaa!

6. Vanesther says:

These are so cute. My two girls are going to love making these!

And on another matter, I wanted to let you know I\’ve awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award for your fantastic blog. More info on my blog at Bangers & Mash…

7. lyndsay says:

Love, love, love. I mean: bah, bah, bah!
    I have been thinking about how to introduce \’spring\’ this year and Aodhan\’s grandparents who are in Manchester were JUST telling him about all the new lambs – so, this is it! Thanks, so much!

8. Didi says:

These are so sweet. This is a great craft to welcome spring. :-)

Thank you for your lovely comments! Hooray for Spring and Easter!

Vanesther – thank you so much for the award! How lovely!!

10. sunnymama says:

Such a cute craft! Would be great if you\’d like to add this to our spring carnival :)

Thank you for the reminder and done! :-)

12. Cameron says:

I haven\’t made any sheepish crafts of late, but I\’m inspired! Thanks!

13. LOVE your little lamb, thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday! Could you please send me a large photo so I can hopefully feature it? All the best!

14. Catrin says:

Oh, these are so adorable. They will go on my easter craft stuff for my niece.
    Thanks for sharing
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

15. sunnymama says:

I\’d be very grateful if you would also send me a photo of your lamb so I can feature this post in a spring carnival crafts for children round-up I\’m putting together. Thanks for linking-up! :)

16. Pinkoddy says:

Ive come here via pinterest and love your sheep idea. I think I will do one with a toilet roll holder :)
    Thanks for hosting the linky off to look for more ideas.

Aah how fab! Thank you!! Hope you have lots of fun and find lots of ideas!

18. Yasmin says:

Hi everyone, love this craft! Wondering what age it would suit best if i were to do the cutting out? I’m bad at knowing the competency of kids but i’d love to try this for my scripture classes!

I have to say it totally depends on the child and they probably will vary quite a bit. My son is 4 and was able to JUST about manage… but I still helped him. Would imagine maybe 5-6yrs? And the younger ones need help?