Kids Crafts: Chocolate Easter Nest - Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Chocolate Easter Nest

| March 14, 2012 | 41 Comments

Easter activitiesWelcome back to Kids Get Crafty! This week we share our easy peasy Easter Nests – this is probably the most “obvious” Easter activities I can think of. But just because it is obvious, doesn’t mean it isn’t good. I am sure many of you have made Easter nests before. They are simple. Fun and yummy. And to me this Easter activity forms part of what childhood is all about. We actually made ours last year – literally the day before Easter, which is why you only get to see the post now. Haven’t Pip Squeak and Red Ted grown? What a difference just one year makes. Aaaaaahhhh. They grow up too quickly!

We made ours with cornflakes, but you can use rice crispies or shredded wheat too! We also added optional “coconut grass”.

Ingredients: Chocolate, cornflakes or similar, mini eggs, optional coconut grass & food colouring, Easter casings

1) Colour you coconut green, by adding some drops of colour and stirring vigorously.

2) Melt your chocolate in  large bowl. We did ours in the microwave. Don’t overheat it will spoil the chocolate!

chocolate easter nests

3) Add your cornflakes to the chocolate, enough that they can all get covered, if there is still a lot of fluid chocolate, add some more cornflakes. (and look how LITTLE Pip Squeak looks!!! Say “aaaaahhhh”).

easter nests

4) Scoop into casing. Add grass as required. And add the eggs. Where you have “grass” you may need to add a drop of chocolate to the mini egg to help secure it in place.

chocolate easter nests

5) Now the most important part. Chocolate moustaches. (Licking off the chocolate is a very serious business by the way!)

easter activities

So… fancy making some chocolate Easter nests  with your kids? What other East activities have you got planned?

easter activities

The Kids Get Crafty party is co-hosted by Creative with Kids, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Easter, Kids Craft, Recipes

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Easter fun for kids | Spit Spot | July 21, 2012
  2. Best of the UK Parent Blogs: Ten at Ten (49) | Tots 100 | September 10, 2012
  1. Kelly says:

Hee, hee, hee I love the chocolate faces! We make a similar treat using noodles, chocolate and peanut butter. Delicious :-)

2. sunnymama says:

Oh how yummy! Love the chocolate faces! :) Would love for you to share this with our spring carnival too.

3. MotherWifeMe says:

My mouth is watering. No matter how old I get, cornflake cakes will always remain a firm favourite. Stick chocolate eggs on top and I\’m in heaven!!!

Yes… nothing quite like an Easter nest.. makes me want to make more too and it is my own post!!!! :-) And oooooh adding peanut butter, how delicious!

@sunnymama have linked up! Thanks for the kind invite and reminder!

5. One of my favourite things to do at Easter. I\’ve brought mini eggs ready and also some mini chicks as well (I couldn\’t resist them). I\’ve pinned this to the cooking with kids board

oooh I want chicks now too! Thank you so much for the pin!

7. The Works have got different size ones in and very reasonable :D I haven\’t let J see them yet as we discovered a birds nest in the garden yesterday and he\’s now obsessing about Birds and Nests

8. Ali says:

They look delicious and I love those chocolate faces – adorable.

9. Yummy! We make these every year! x

10. Rebecca says:

Such a lovely Easter activity. The simplest ones are often the best!

11. Ah I wish I\’d thought of coconut shreds! I really needed some grass at the weekend for my Edible Book Festival cake!

12. Jackie says:

These are awesome! And I love the picture of the chocolate mustaches. Too cute!

13. I love your little chocolate nests and like the idea of adding in some edible grass too! There\’s nothing better than licking the chocolate from the bowl for kids. I shall try to come up with good Easter cooking activity to link up here Maggy :0)x

Oooh look forward to that Laura!

15. We\’ve made the ones with the butterscotch chips before. But those chocolate faces are the best!

16. oooh so cute! and I love the little chocolately faces!

Oooh butterscotch chips. Delicious!!!

18. Roopa says:

Love the little chocolate moustache faces – adorable! This is perfect snack for an upcoming \’bird\’ theme party. Thanks for the wonderful idea:)

19. Ooh how lovely – we made something similar this week – haven\’t blogged it yet though :) linked up our chocolate Easter chicks x

20. Can you believe it I have yet to make any chocolate nests with the girls?! Do you think they\’d like them if I used Bran flakes ;)

Oh yes, I am sure they will be very tasty with bran flakes!

22. Thanks Maggy! I\’m so proud of my creation, will have a look around and hopefully be inspired! The kids look so cute with chocolate on their faces…can\’t believe how big they have got, WOW! xo

23. Kelly says:

Hi again Maggy, I\’d love for you to share these at Happy lil ?\’s are baking – http://happywhimsicalhearts.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/happy-lil-s-are-baking-11.html

Warmly, Kelly

24. My baby turned 1 today, I know how fast time flies!

These look amazing! Thanks for the post.

25. What a fun Easter activity! This is something that my 23 month old could totally help with. Thanks for linking up to the Weekly Kids Co-op!

26. Lindy@ItsyBitsyPaper says:

These are so cute. The photos of the kids is priceless! I hope you\’ll link up to my Hippity Hop Easter Project Hop.

27. Ally says:

How much do I LOVE those chocolately faces! Thanks for linking up to momstown arts and crafts!

28. Liz Burton says:

Easter isn\’t Easter without chocolate krispie cakes is it? We love them with peanut butter in.

29. sunnymama says:

Thanks so much for sharing with our Spring Carnival. :) Just wanted to let you know that I featured your post in a round up of spring recipes here:
    sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/all-year-round-week-seven-7-spring.html

30. Oh, these look divine. And so easy to make!

31. I had forgotten all about these! We will be making these for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

32. These look so delicious. I’d love to include them in an Easter round up I’m doing. Gorgeous photographs too. :)