Kids Crafts: Clothes Pins Mermaids - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Clothes Pins Mermaids

| August 8, 2012 | 32 Comments

Peg peopleWelcome back to this week’s Kids Crafts – when we made clothes pins mermaids! Clothes pins mermaids have been “yet another” craft that have been on my mind/ to do list for AGES! I was waiting for my kids to be big enough to actually have a go and make some themselves. And as our clothes pins pirates showed it is very clear quite how much Red Ted LOVES colouring clothes pins. One week Red Ted’s nursery was “doing Mermaids and MerMen” and this was my opportunity. Mermaids and Mermen we made!

Red Ted was hooked. He made pin after pin after pin. Then The Imagination Tree girls came to visit and we made more. Then another friend came to visit, and we made more. We must have made 15 in the space of 3 days!

I then decide to make on for our Craft Book. And at today’s photo shoot (yes, we are the photo shoot stage), we added Red Ted’s AND my mermaid. LOVELY! Am so pleased, they both went in!

clothes pins mermaid

Materials: clothes pins, pens/ paint, funky foam, glue and glitter. Sequins and wool.

Red Ted’s: Painted his Mermens’ bodies in his chosen colours. He then asked me to add the face to his men (for some reason he just didn’t want to). So I did it for him. Take care – to draw the face on the side of the pen, that then allows you to add the fins. You don’t want the men to be looking right or left. As with our clothe pin pirates, he then dipped the head in glue and then the glitter pot.

I then cut out a semi circle out of funky foam, shaped it into a fin and we glued it in place.

My mermaid: I painted the fin in a blue – the same colour as the fin. Once dry, covered it in PVA glue and sprinkled glitter on. Added two sequins for the bikini bra and made hair from wool (several strands of wool, died strategically in two places, see small image).

Done.

Pip Squeak did have a go. But this naughty mummy forgot to photograph them (BAD ME!). Her’s are all bright pink, with glitter hair. (But no fins… i.e. they are just dollies, I think that is why I didn’t add them to the Mermaid/ Mermen photo!).

Done.

clothes pins

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Creative with Kids and Red Ted Art host this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

I hope you liked our Clothes Pins Mermaids and that you have a go too!

Tags: , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Summer

1. You always do THE BEST crafts! I love this mermaid/merman idea. I know a few kids who will enjoy this too! Thank you!

2. Lorie says:

Oh my goodness. My daughter is in a mermaid phase big time and will LOVE these! Thanks!

@Carolyn – you are too lovely! Thank you so much for saying such lovely things!!

@Lorie – I have been DYING to make a mermaid with mine for ages now. So pleased “the topic” came up at nursery !Enjoy!

4. ooooh they are too cute Maggy! I love the Ariel one. xx

5. i’m now adding clothes pins to my shopping list ;-)

6. Aly says:

I just showed 4 yo and she loves them.She’s just ran off to tell 6 yo (soaking in the bath) about them.I know what we’re doing tomorrow now :)

Awe! How cute!!! :-)

8. Sian says:

is 8 too old to make peg dolls ?
    is just a tiny bit the wrong side of 40? : )

NEVER TOO OLD!!!

10. These are really cute!

11. These are ADORABLE!! Am going to show 6-yr-old tomorrow, who will immediately want to make these.

On a strangely related note, heard of a man today who used to run the ‘Dolly Factory’ in Kent (a barn in a field!) making these clothes pins. I love that name so much (the pegs are also known as dolly pins!). Anyway, it’s recently been demolished as he moved to Lithuania where it’s cheaper to make them. :-( – probably why you got them in bulk from ebay!

I’m rambling, but thought I’d share!!

Thank you!

Maxine
    x

Nooooo really? What a shame! What random little facts the are in the world!! Would have loved to have gone to a Dolly Factory!

12. The Monko says:

Oh my goodness these are so cute

13. Amazing! I know a ‘Fairy’ who’s gonna want to make some of these asap!

14. I love them. I would have never thought of using glitter for hair!

Oh the glitter is Red Ted’s idea. Through and through!!!

16. Johanna GGG says:

I love your mermaids – when I was young I loved doing dolls out of old clothes pegs so they bring back memories (though mine were very old fashioned). We saw clothes pegs just recently and now I wish we had bought some – must head back and buy them to make mermaids

17. amber says:

These are really cute.

18. Adorable! The girls and I love to make Clothespin Mermaids and Disney’s Family Fun Magazine actually paid me for the rights to the project 2 years ago — they used them in their magazine then rebranded them into an Ariel/Little Mermaid craft for their princess crafts site a while back. Love the way you all made them as a play-date craft activity — they are adorable! : )

Here’s a link to my craft in the magazine — http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/a-mermaids-tale-1022594/

Warmly,
    MaryLea
    (pink and green mama)

19. Love the sequin bra tops too!!! : )

Oh my goodness, MaryLea your mermaids are ADORABLE – I love love that that multi coloured wool, simply perfect!

21. Adorable! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

22. I LOVE these! Great instructions for the hair too. I’m pinning this to the Tuesday Tots board. Thanks for linking up.

23. Awww gorgeous! S would love them! Thanks for linking up. xx