Welcome back to this week’s Kids Crafty (a couple of days early)! If you know our house, you will know that we have pots of pencils and pens and crayons and scissors and all sorts floating around all the time. Tidy it is not. And if we need to clear a surface we need move LOTS of things. So we decided it was about time of a desk tidy! And not any desk tidy – but a toilet roll desk tidy (why of course! Our favourite craft material)!!! A perfect Back to School craft too. Get your kid’s tables sorted. There is also a fabulous competition by eBay, that I will help judge! Find our more below.
We started off relatively simple and then got a bit carried away – the little boat is for some Peanut People we made, but you could also use it hold erasers and pencil sharpeners. The trees are there, so that you can add sheets or paper/ letters of postcards between the castle and the trees. Perfect.
Materials: 7 Toilet rolls (3 cut in half), acrylic paint, extra bits of card for trees, boat and door, paint, a shoe box lid (a piece of card would be ok too, but the lid has the added bonus of having a rim, which means things will not roll out of it).
We intended to paint the castle red. But I had run out of red. So this shiny pinky/red it was!
1) Cut your loo rolls to shape. And decide on the basic lay out for your castle.
2) Paint your loo rolls. Wear old clothes, acrylics do stain.
3) Cut out any extras such as trees and paint. Again, I cut, the kids painted..
4) Let dry.
5) Glue in place. Now we used a hot glue gun, as I have many a child hood memory of things like this falling apart and being VERY annoying. So either use VERY GOOD PVA glue, supported by a bit of masking tape (that you can paint over) or a hot glue gun! The trees are glued to the rim of the shoe-box lid.
6) I then cut out little extras like the boat and the draw bridge and we stuck it all in place.
And here full of pens!
(PS the Knights are a little preview our my Kids Craft Book coming out in March 2013!)
Are you feeling inspired yet???? Well… if you are… you can take part in a fantastic competition by eBay (UK). eBay is helping parents to get ready for the back to school rush, while making those final weeks of the summer holidays fun. They are challenging families to show their creative flair to be in with a chance of winning up to £200 PayPal credit. From August 16th to August 30th, they’re sharing fun, creative and crafty activity ideas for parents to do with their kids. To bag one of their ten £60 PayPal credit prizes or one of four £200 Paypal credit grand prizes, parents simply need to upload a picture of their kids’ crafty creation into their Facebook competition app.
I am honoured to be one of the judges would will help pick the winners at the end of this period! How exciting!
This is a Sponsored post