Pinecone Crafts for Kids: Delightful Fairies : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Pinecone Crafts – Fairies

| September 26, 2012 | 41 Comments

paper mache craftsOh I we do love Autumn!!!! I think I have gushed about Autumn and Autumn crafts in a number of posts now… but I still can’t get enough. We love conkers, acorns, sticks and pinecones. We drag them all home and then we get crafty… A pinecone craft can be a little tricky – as the there is little “surface area” for sticking things on and they do have a tendency to fall over a bit like a weeble (though that stands up again). So I set myself a task to create more kids pinecone crafts!

And I give you: Pinecone Fairies:

pinecone crafts

Inspired by little waldorf dolls, I think these are adorable. And relatively easy to make!

Diese Anleitung gibt es nun auch auf Deutsch: Tannenzapfen basteln

Materials: for the head – old tights, cotton wool and  a little thread, wool for hair, acorn caps for beret, felt for wings, PVA glue

pinecone craft ideas

pinecone craft ideas

1) Make little heads – they look tricky, but they are not. And they have the benefit (over wooden beads), that you can easily glue them onto the pine cone with PVA glue (and they are light). Take two pieces of cotton wool and place them inside two layers or tights.

pinecone craft ideas

2) Wrap the tights round to form a ball. Secure with a little thread and trim.

pinecone craft ideas

3) Hair and hat: cut some strands of wool. Glue them over the nobbly bit of your hat with plenty of PVA (may be a little messy). Add lots of glue inside your acorn beret and squeeze on top of the “knobbly” end of your head to hide it all.

4) Take your pinecones and see which ones stand upright best. Bend down the top few “needles” (you may have to break them a little to create a platform for the head. Add lots of glue to the bottom of the head and squeeze on.

pinecone craft ideas

5) Decide on fairy wing shape – we made ours butterfly-esque. Glue pieces in place and then with a big dollop of PVA squeeze into your pinecone “needles”. If need be, push into place with a craft stick or a pair of scissors.

6) Done… thought whilst everything is drying, do check it every so often and make sure that head is still in the right position.

pinecone crafts

Get carried away and make more and more and more and PLAY!

You may also like (click on the images to read more):

fall craft ideas

pinecone craft

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Red Ted Art hosts this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

What magical pinecone crafts do you like making?!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Kids Craft, Nature

Sites That Link to this Post

1. ‘I’ve always thought blue suited you’ – colour your own family | September 27, 2012
  2. Sunday Showcase - Nature Activities for Autumn - Here Come the Girls | October 6, 2012
  3. Pine Cone Crafts – Hedgehog | Kids Chaos | March 27, 2013
  4. Pine Cone Pets | Zing Zing Tree | May 21, 2013
  5. Bastelideen mit Zapfen - Red Ted Art Deutschland | September 4, 2013
  6. 12 Pine Cone Crafts (With G+ hang Out) | December 13, 2013
  7. 7 Homemade Toys from Natural Objects - Buggy and Buddy | December 30, 2013
  1. Chelsey says:

Super adorable! I think we need some to adorn our nature table! Will have to give it a try!

2. Becky@bookreviewsformum says:

Gorgeous …I love your pinecone fairies x

Thank you!!!

And Chelsea, I do hope you make some! They us smile whenever we see them!

4. oh Maggy, they are beautiful! xx

**BEAM**

6. Pinkoddy says:

What a great idea. Could start making Christmas tree ornaments :)

Yes, lovely for Christmas too :-)

8. They are so adorable. I especially love their berets. I’ve pinned these and putting them on the bucket list for when it’s Autumn here again. :)

9. Roopa says:

These are beautiful !!

Thanks Roopa

Ness – much appreciate the Pin and adding it to your bucket list!!!

11. Jen says:

Love those little fairies! Simply adorable.

12. Mary says:

These are soooo cute! I can’t wait to make some. And what a great idea for the head.

Glad you like the Jen!

Mary – if you do make some, would LOVE to see some pictures!!!

14. Isil says:

These are adorable Maggy!

15. Liz Burton says:

Now these, I would LOVE living at the bottom of the garden! So sweet.

16. they are lovely Maggy. I saw an idea on pinterest where they weaved the wool around the pine cones. This could give them nice colourful dresses too. :0)

Isil – thank you!

Liz – I thought you may like these!!

Adele – oooh I love the idea of the wool. How lovely!

18. Sian says:

yep, super cute : )
    may just adorn our nature table with a few!

They would be SO lovely on a Nature Table!!

20. These are so, so lovely – might have to try my hand at little pine cone Magic Belles ;-) xx

21. Kerry says:

Oh love these we live in pine cone city will have to find some and have a go xx

22. Helen says:

Oh such a cute Fall craft- my daughter will adore this. Popping by from “For the Kids Friday”…come say hi over at http://thehandleyhome.blogspot.com/2012/09/bee-wrapping-paper.html…this week I’m linking up some cutesy bee wrapping paper. Love the blog- thanks for sharing!!

23. Okay, these are adorable! I can’t imagine a little girl not loving these. What a wonderful fall project. Just pinned!

Oooh you could have a whole Fairy population Kerry!

Helen – thanks for the invite, will pop by!

Vicky! Hurray! Hope you make lots and thank you for pinning!!

25. Yummy Mummy? Really? says:

These look super cute, but I just know I’d end up doing it all, and the kids wouldn’t have the patience. They current can’t cope with anything involving glue that you have to wait on! It’s cello tape all the way! They can just about cope sticking tissue paper on things, as it’s so light it doesn’t fall off before dry.

Have you done a selection of crafts that don’t need glue, or if they do, it’s glue to stick something flat, so it’s not going to fall off whilst you continue and the glue isn’t quite dry yet….. If not, have that selection idea for free!

L :-)

PS. No doubt, despite what I’ve just said, we’ll try these though. They look so cute. :-D

I hear you! If you dare, you could use a hot glue gun for these.

Or you could try an Autumn Mobile: http://www.redtedart.com/2012/09/05/kids-crafts-fall-mobile/

Alternatively.. MAYBE… you could use a wooden bead – use a toothpick at the centre of the bead and somehow wedge it into the top of the pinecone? I have tried it… but just thinking out loud? The wings were fine, as we “wedged them with glue between the pine pieces”.

I do have a pinecone owl which is totally adorable, but it is going into my craft book, so don’t have it “yet” :-(

27. Rebecca says:

Oh Molly would love these. Today is looking nice, I think we’d better go find some autumn things to get crafting.

Thanks for linking to the sunday showcase.

28. Rebecca says:

Just me again. Just thought I’d let you know I have featured this on The Sunday Showcase: http://www.herecomethegirlsblog.com/2012/10/06/sunday-showcase-nature-activities-for-autumn.html

29. These are so gorgeous! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Tots. I’ll be featuring your cutie patootie pinecone fairies this coming Tuesday so feel free to come and grab a featured button for your blog. Thanks for linking up and look forward to seeing what you have for us next week :)

Awe Debs & Rebecca, thanks for featuring! Much appreciated!! How cool! :-)

31. Love your pine cone fairies, perfect! You’ver earned yourself a feature on Craft Schooling Sunday!

32. I love these so much! They would be a perfect addition to our fall nature table. Thank you for linking up to Discover & Explore this week- these are just lovely!