Virtual Advent Calendar

Creative Christmas Day 1 – Make Gingerbread Cards

| December 1, 2012 | 23 Comments

Easy cards for kids to makeWelcome to DAY 1 of the Virtual Advent Calendar brought to you by, Creative with Kids, Red Ted art, the Creative Christmas Countdown and 24 lovely bloggers from across the world. I am so excited to be the first to kick off our wonderful activities to keep you and your little ones busy this Christmas season. Don’t you just love Advent and getting festive?

Virtual Advent Calendar

You may, like us, still be in need of a Christmas card or two. You may like our little Gingerbread Men Cards. We actually made some Gingerbread Garlands like this (like a paper man chain), some cards (which you see here) and some very simple “individiual” men (in white) that the kids coloured in and decorated. Such a simple activity and yet they couldn’t get enough.

Materials: A gingerbread cookie cutter (if you don’t have one, I made a little Gingerbread Man template for you to print), light weight card (so your cards can stand up), pens and “things to decorate your card with”. We had stick on buttons, but gems would look nice, or you could cut out “pretend” Smarties out of felt or funky foam. Or simply just colour your men in.

1) Fold your card in half.

2) Use your cookie cutter (or the template) as a stencil. Make sure the hand and the foot touch the crease of the card. Trace your gingerbread man.

3) Cut him out. You should now have 2 gingerbread men, attached at the hands and feet that stand up by themselves.

4) Paint brown (if you wish, we did!).

5) Once dry, decorate to your heart’s content. The kids used eye stickers and button stickers, but really, anything goes! You may want to dress your ginger bread men up – maybe make a santa or a gingerbread snow man. Your call!

Admire. Then send to a well deserving friend or family member!

Now remeber.. this is part of the Creative Chirstmas Count virtual advent calendar. We have another 23 lovely activities and blogs all lined up for you this Christmas season.

Virtual Advent Calendar

I do hope you enjoyed the first day of your Virtual Advent Calendar! Each day Creative With Kids and Red Ted Art will feature the next activity. So tomorrow, visit come back to Red Ted Art for the Day 2 feature. Then go back to Creative With Kids for Day 3, then back there for Day 4 etc… odd days – Creative With Kids, even days Red Ted Art!!!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Card making, Christmas

1. Very cute. We have those little eye stickers too!

2. That are so cute Maggy! I LOVE the stick on eyes and buttons. x

The kids LOVE those stickers!!

And thank you Emma, again, the kids adored the buttons, but you can use anything you have!

4. jackie says:

So cute, Maggy! Loving the stick on buttons! We love gingerbread crafts here, but I’ve never thought to turn them into cards!

Gingerbread men are just the cutest, aren’t they? The kids loved making theors!

6. So cute! I have the perfect card stock that will make tiny Gingerbread Man cards. :)

Awe lovely and perfect! Would love to see any you make!

8. Karyn says:

These are darling! I just started a brand new linky party today & would love to have you come by and share some of your great ideas!

9. Esther says:

They are so cute! I had a similar idea to create a gingerbread man puppet:-)

Gingerbread Man Puppets would be ADORABLE!

11. These are adorable! Will have to make some with my kiddos.

And I am SO excited about this Creative Christmas countdown!

12. They are so cute – I want to make a gingerbread men chain of them now to decorate the kitchen with this year

13. DoggieBuddy says:

Very unique use of cookie cutters! thanks for sharing :)

(I might have to use my “bone” cookie cutter to send some holiday greetings to some dogs I know ;) )

14. Stix says:

Brilliant. My kids love making cards for their grandparents so am always on the lookout for ideas. Great use of cutters…will have to dig mine out!

15. I love these. I’ve been looking for something that would be simple enough for the boys to make but look decent enough to send out. ;) These are great.

Awe perfect! So pleased!!!

17. Fran says:

These are so cute! I have a gingerbread die that only gets used a few times a year so it will be nice to have another craft to do with them :) Love the eye stickers!

18. I really like your idea of turning gingerbread people into adorable cards. Very sweet – no pun intended :)Love the sticker eyes and buttons too.