Bubble Recipe - Simple & Fun! - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Bubble Recipe – Simple & Fun!

| May 20, 2013 | 24 Comments

bubble recipe 2

Well, we are slowly gearing up to Summer.. and thought it was about time we had a go at making and testing some Bubble Recipes. The kids love love love blowing bubbles. And invariably some of the bubble mixture always lands on the floor to much tears and commotion. I thought it was about time we had a go at a homemade bubble recipe and find the “perfect” bubble recipe for us.

There are lots of Bubble Recipes out there, which can be a bit confusing. So we tried and tested and now we share our favourite … It really IS as simple as 1, 2, 3.. you only need, water, washing up liquid and glycerine…

DIY Bubble mixture

Ingredients: 1 Liter (1/5 gallon) of (hot) water, 250ml (1 cup) of GOOD quality washing up liquid, 2-4 table spoons of glycerin (glycerin makes the bubbles thick and last longer – we added 4 spoons, though 2 should be enough)

You can find glycerin in the baking session of your supermarket. Glycerin is also great for adding to playdough, as well as snowglobes. So if you are a DIY mum, you will find many uses for it!

1) Mix all your bubble recipe ingredients. Tip 1: Try to avoid making bubbles as you do it – i.e. mix it as gently as possible.

2) Leave over night. Tip 2: The longer you leave it the better, if using as party favours, make it 1-2 before!

The kids then went and trialled it. They seemed happy (but disappointed than generally they could only manage 2-4 bubbles in one go).

Perfect Bubble Recip

And then we got out the REAL bubble recipe test (this is 30min after mixing it, I will update the post in a week or so, with updated bubbles). We asked Santa to help us:

Rather frustratingly my smartphone video function packed in – I had Pip Squeak running around the garden squealing in delight at our bubble recipe. That got cut off! Will try and film it again.

So. Summer… her we come, we are ready – tons of bubbles to keep us busy!!!

If you are enjoying spending time outdoors with your bubbles, why not give these Paper Plate Frisbees a go too?

DIY Frisbee craft

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: How To's, Summer

1. Scuttlebutter says:

Lovely thanks. May even have some glycerin in the baking cupboard!

2. Sian says:

I love blowing bubbles never mind my son : )

3. Pinkoddy says:

Well I never knew that – always just used washing up liquid and water. Thank you for sharing.

4. Wow, I had no idea about the glycerin! Brilliant tips, looking forward to trying them out :D

5. Mike says:

This is a BRILLIANT idea!

6. Stella says:

Such a fun activity for children! Do you have an idea for mkaing the blowers that I could use for a prep class?

7. Fiona says:

I’m a bit confused with the amounts. It says 250ml (1/2 cup) of washing up liquid. 250ml is 1 cup so are we meant to use 1 or 1/2 cup?

8. Ana says:

I am a bit confused on the type of soap to use. Is liquid dish wash soap or liquid hand wash soap best?

9. Looking forward to making lots of rainbow bubbles, thanks!

10. Patsy says:

i actually added corn syrup to some Dollar Tree bubles and got huge bubbles going to try that with glycerin might work better some of my bubbles that were around 6 inches even sat on grass for over 5 minutes before popping they have to land just right but some do :)

11. Brett Belleque says:

Please note that adding glycerin to your bubble recipe makes them dangerous if ingested. Bubbles sold in toy stores are labeled non-toxic because they contain no glycerin. Substitute corn syrup for the glycerin and they should work just as well! And be safe for kids. The biggest environmental factor for balloons is humidity. The dryer the air the more likely the bubbles won’t last long. Experiment with adding more water to your mix if you live in a dry climate!

12. Holly says:

Thank you so much better than washing up liquid for hours of fun with my children

13. Looks like a lot of fun, my 7 year old daughter would love it as she loves bubbles

14. Mumof2.com says:

Aha! Finally I know why my bubbles never work as well as the shop bought buubbles! Have never heard of using glycerine too but am going to give it a try!

15. Krystal says:

I love the photo with the bubble at the front of the picture. I’m not sure if I love bubbles more or my kids.