We recently did a Flower Crafts Ideas Hangout - where crafty bloggers get together online and record a short video discusing lots of craft ideas around one topic – FLOWERS!!! It is a great way for me to connect with fellow crafters, but also bring you a varied set of ideas – as we all have different interest, strengths and skills! For this flower crafts hangout, I created these little fabric flowers.
I had seen these cute upcycled fabric flowers in our local coffee shop probably 6months ago and kept meaning to have a go at making them. Finally the opportunity presented itself. I love that they are made from fabric scraps and I love that each scrap of fabric I have, has a story to tell. I know all about where they all came from – The Englishman’s shirt, Kids Chaos‘s Summer Dress, left overs from Pip Squeak’s first pillow case dress etc etc. AND they are easy to make. I promise!!
Upcycled Fabric Flowers Materials:
- 5 pieces of fabric
- a circula stencil (I used our sellotape to trace)
- scissors & thread
- a button
- optional pieces of felt for the back
- optional: saftey pin for brooch, pipecleaner as stem in a vase, hairband for hair etc etc
Upcycled Fabric Flower How To:
1) Choose your fabric. I found that thinner fabric works best, as you will end up with 4 layers per petal. Cut your 5 circles.
2) Fold in half and half again, until you have a quarter of a circle.
3) Sew a running stitch across the CURVED part of your fabric. Pull tight, place a stitch in place to “hold it”.
4) Then with the same thread, start on th next petal – which you have already folded. Until you have done all 5 and secured the last petal onto the first.
5) I decided to add a little felt on the back to “hide” the sewing, but it isn’t strictly necessary.
6) Sew on your button and done!
Now you just have to decide what you would like to do with it. They look lovely in a “vase”, as I saw them in the cafe.. add a stick or pipecleaners to prop them up. You could wear them as a brooch, add them to a handbag or wear them in your hair. Use them to decorate a present or even as a key ring…… So pretty.
Want more Flower Crafts Ideas? Check out: