Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday is approaching soon. As a parent, I feel it is important that my children understand what the day is about and why we commemorate it.
Here we share a set of easy Remembrance Day Craft and Activities for kids – lots of wonderful Poppy Crafts for kids to make and think about. Poppies as a symbol of the day are most common in the UK, Canada and Australia. Whilst Flag Crafts are often made for Memorial Day.
If you do do any of the Remembrance Day Activities shared here today, please DO also remember to make a donation as well and support vertrans all over the world.
When is Remembrance Sunday?
- In Canada and the US Remembrance Day is always on November the 11th.
- In the UK both the 11th and Remembrance Sunday are observed, with Remembrance Sunday being the first Sunday after the 11th Nov.
- In America, Memorial Day is also celebrated on the last Monday in May.
- Anzac day is on the 25th April.
UK Remembrance Sunday 2019 is on the 10th November.
WHY the Poppies are such an iconic symbol?
The Poppy is a symbol or remembrance and hope! Watch this excellent little video explaining what why the poppy is so significant! We were lucky enough to have purchased two of the Ceramic Poppies created for the Blood Swept Lands and Sea of Red memorial in 2014 and this is always a talking point for the kids. Poppies are a symbol for war veterans and those that died in the war, as well as loved ones left behind. It also forms part of a big fund raising event – the Poppy Appeal. Not only does it raise money for veterans and families alike, but it also serves as a way to bring the country together in remembrance.
Here is a set of Remembrance Day Activities to do the Kids.
The majority are indeed Poppy Crafts. If you do make some Poppy Crafts, please do remember to still donate to the charity and help current veterans.
Easy Poppy Crafts for Preschoolers
Beginning with the youngest readers, these collection of crafts are simple to make. Younger children may not fully understand the concept of war and remembrance.. but I believe it is good to gradually introduce these to them over time.
- Beautiful Poppy Suncatchers (includes free poppy template) – these can also be used to make a fantastic Poppy Wreath in the classroom
- Egg Carton Wreath
- Coffee Filter Poppies
- Paper Plate Poppies
- Potato Print Poppies
- Handprint Poppy
- Scrunched Tissue Paper Poppy
- Suncatcher Poppiers
Easy Remembrance Day Activities for kids
As kids get older, you can attempt more complicated Remembrance Day Activities with kids. I would most definitely watch the above Remembrance Day video with them – as well as other suitable content you may find online before starting one of these crafts! Also talk to them about observing the 2 minute silence on the day itself.
- Easy Poppy Bowl (this makes a great gift idea to0)
- Felt poppy pin
- Poppy Wreath (with cupcake liners, egg cartons and painting)
- Paper Napkin Poppy Wreath
- Plastic Bottle Poppies (clever)
- Finger Print Poppies
- Cupcake Liner Poppies
- Poppy Cookies (great for fund raising cake sale)
- Simple Poppy Art (that can also be turned into a wreath)
- Felt Poppy Hairband
Poppy Crafts for Big Kids
These poppy DIYs and crafts take a little more texterity and you may wish to make these either for your kids or WITH your kids.
- Beautiful Tissue Paper Poppies
- Organza Poppy
- Crochet Poppy Pin
- Clay Poppy Pin
- Felt Poppy Ring
- Felt Poppy Bouquet
- Giant Tissue Paper Poppy (no detailed instructions)
- Beautiful Stylish Poppy Wreath (Pinterest only – I have looked EVERYWHERE for the original/ instructions, but can’t find it, but it really is lovely and worthy to be seen!)