Kids Get Crafty: Loo Roll Monsters - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Get Crafty: Loo Roll Monsters

| May 4, 2011 | 53 Comments

Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty! You know Red Ted HQ and Loo Rolls – we LOVE ‘em! I even had to write a whole ebook about them! The ebook is a great way to support this blog – so if you haven’t got one yet… do go and take a look! In the meantime, you get another fab “free” loo roll craft right here, right now! I just can’t help myself!

Today, we make fab little Monsters… I think this craft is great for little boys, but can also be a great way to help any young child that may have “issues” with Monsters at the moment. They are of course, FRIENDLY monsters.. Make them. Give them names. And at bedtime, but them by the bed to keep away any of those scary nighttime monsters – no more hiding under the duvet covers when you have these little guys by your side! Or place them on the windowsill facing outside and image them saying “BOOOO” to any other intruders. ONLY of course do this bedtime ritual if you have child that is already scared, don’t do it with perfectly happy ones, as that may just start an anxiety!!

The Book

Two Monsters Two Monsters, By David McKee

We love this little book. It is great right now for Red Ted (aged 3), as he is starting to appreciate the subtlies of a difference of opinion. It is about two monsters, sitting on either side of a mountain. They talk to each other through a hole that runs the length of the mountain. One day they start and argument: the one monster says that “day is departing” and the other monster says that “night is arriving” – who is right (both of course), but it takes a rock throwing fight that destroys the mountain for them to realise this!  Great story about seeing things differently and reconciliation!

The Craft

So, we decided to make some loo roll monsters. I love monster crafts, as there is no “right or wrong”. Some children are perfectionist and get frustrated if something isn’t perfect. But not here, as anything goes. Great to let the imagination run wild. You can also use any scraps of paper or material you have lying around…

Materials: Basic monster: A loo roll, paint & brush, googly eyes and glue, a pen.  Additions: wool for hair, tissue paper for spots, card for stripes, pipecleaners for arms, feathers, foam bits… have a rummage and see what you have.

Good riddance to all your “random bits”.

1. Paint your loo roll in the desired colour/ colours & let dry
  2. Once dry, using your thumb push the loo roll so you one side goes under the other
  3. DECORATE to your hearts content:

For the hair we cut some wool, add LOTS of PVA glue and squished it on

The “boils” rare scrunched up bits of tissue paper

Monsters at your service!!

“Boooo! Naughty Naughty monsters, go away!”

Or just cuddle them!

Ah.. and don’t forget: let the littlies have a go too:

Have you made some MONSTERS or imaginary beings in the past? I would love to see them and hear how you approached them! ALL kids related crafts very welcome – but especially Monsters & imaginary beasts!

Featured via

As seen on CraftGossip.com

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Kids Craft, Loo Rolls

Sites That Link to this Post

1. TP Roll Monsters- Book Craft · Lesson Plans | CraftGossip.com | May 5, 2011
  2. Hope Is the Word » Blog Archive » RAT Links 5.5.11 | May 6, 2011
  3. A castle for the toilet roll men | Mummy…Mummy…MUM!!! | June 15, 2011
  4. 20+ Monster Party and Activity Ideas | Fun Learning Activities for Preschoolers and Kids | June 21, 2011
  5. Red Ted Art's Blog » Blog Archive » Boy Get Crafty | September 1, 2011
  6. Toilet Paper Roll Crafts | Growing Kids Ministry | November 1, 2011
  7. Toilet Paper Crafts for Toddlers | Erie Families | November 2, 2011
  8. Earth Day: Toilet Paper Roll Crafts » GeekMom | April 22, 2012
  9. Earth Day: Toilet Paper Roll Crafts | GeekMom | Wired.com | June 30, 2012
  10. Throw a Mad Monster Party | August 17, 2012
  11. Kids Craft Ideas | January 6, 2013
  1. Jackie says:

These are darling! We have been reading If you’re a Monster and You Know it. So now we have a great craft to go along with it. We did make monsters out of playdough this week. I gave my boys playdough, eyes, pipe cleaners, beads, clothespins, etc. They came up with some cute, friendly monsters. Well, the baby mostly ate the playdough….

2. Such cute little monsters. :-)

Oh your book sounds fun Jackie! Will have to look into it!! And playdough monsters rock! :-)

4. Nicole says:

Adorable monsters (and children, I must say)! The book sounds really cute too.

5. Esther says:

Monsters at your service:-)) LOL! they look so adorable.. That is a beautiful story of two little monsters! we have to check it out! thanks for sharing

6. I love the monsters! SO cute!

7. Sandra Tyler says:

Oh how wonderful — yes, monster crafts are the best because there IS not right or wrong. They enforce the fantastical and most imaginary in children.

8. Thanks for linking! I’ll be featuring this post on BCD on May 5th! Enjoy the traffic!

Oh my! Thank you so much! Will come and grab a featured button!

Maggy

10. Ally says:

Love the little monsters! So cute and yes perfect for boys!

11. Ally says:

Love the the little monsters – my boys would love this, I’ll definitely add this to our ideas for the weekend!

12. artsy_momma says:

That is such a good idea to make monsters and put them next to the bed! Sounds like a great book too :)

13. mermaid says:

Very cute!! We will have a playdate tomorrow… maybe we will make some monster princesses! (Girlie thing :D )

By the way.. what paints are u using?

I used acrylics – they don’t crumble, bad, I know – but you can get the same effect with poster paints and a little PVA glue mixed in… haven’t tried it, but I am told it works wonderfully!

Monster princesses sound FAB!

15. Jen says:

My kids will Love making these!

16. Rashi says:

Its really a nice idea to make monster with loo roll and it came out so well, Thanks for sharing this idea.

17. very cute idea. my kids would love these!

18. I love them from the front and back.

19. Julie says:

That is so stinkin’ cute! I love them and it looks like he had a great time doing them too. I may have to pull this project out on the next rainy day with Laci. I just love it! Thanks so much for linking to It’s Stinkin’ Cute Craft Thursdays!

20. Liz Burton says:

Oh they’re cute monsters! They can come and live under my bed anytime!

21. Love these monsters! So adorable! Tied to link up last night and it seemed to be down!

22. Just found you through reasons to be cheerful and love the idea of your blog, we love getting crafty in our house!

23. I love these!! Looks like your little guy did too! Great idea!

24. Amanda says:

Maggy, those are beyond cuteness!

25. those are so stinkin’ cute….Love them!

26. mum of all trades says:

just the simple folding down the top of these makes them look a bit different to other loo roll crafts. great idea!

27. love your monsters! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

28. That is adorable! What a great idea for those empty TP rolls! I’ll bet the kids love them.

29. Isaac says:

Those guys are awesome!

30. Beautiful Maggy, the kids will love these. Thank you. Mich x

31. jfb57 says:

I just love these – you know I do!! Thank you for linking on the RC – they will go down so well in school!

32. Lovely monsters! Thanks for linking up with the Play Academy.

33. These are really fun! We tried a version of them for Halloween and the kids loved them. Your paper roll ebook is so clever!

34. Love the monsters, and love your tips for helping kids cope with monster issues. Those fears are very real to kids, and anything that can help has my thumbs up!

35. Itching to get my hands on that book – so needed in this house right now! Adorable monsters too! Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday!

36. Very cute! I love how you include a book and a craft!

37. Love your lil monsters!

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week…

38. They turned out totally awesome. I think it’s because you picked all those bright colors! :)

Featuring this at this week’s High paw but you already saw this ;)

39. You are featured this week at “Anti-Procrastination Tuesday” @ New Nostalgia! Thank you so much for linking up! Hope to see you again this week.

Oh thank you Amy!! How wonderful :-)

41. Linda Jones says:

I am really loving all of your crafts, but I have no little ones to craft with anymore, only big boys. I will have to do crafting for my own enjoyment one day because they are so incredibly cute!