Kids Crafts: Leaf Crown - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Leaf Crown

| November 9, 2011 | 40 Comments

leaf crown Hello again, welcome back to kids crafty and our leaf crowns this week… now… ever since working on the “Get Crafty with Nature” ebook, we have been wanting to make some leaf crowns. Red Ted loves collecting leaves and autumn has such beautiful colours, that this really is the best time of year.

Lucky for me Explore and Express, did this fabulous post on their leaf crowns last week – a reminder of “how they are done” and it gave me the push to finally have a go at ours. I made the crown whilst Pip Squeak played at the playground – a perfect little nature craft for out and about. If you want a leaf crown that little owns can make themselves, check out The Imagination Tree’s for theirs. Adorable and perfect for small hands once you get back home.

The Book

Babar Loses His Crown (Babar (Harry N. Abrams))Babar Looses his Crown, by Laurent de Brunhoff.

If you are not familiar with the Babar series of books you really should give them a go. I think I may be a little nostalgic here, as I clearly remember them from when I was a little girl. We now have a couple of the Babar books – and the children are enthralled by them. There is usually an adventure and lots to learn. In this particular book, Babar goes to Paris with his family, when, oh no, his suitcase is accidentally switched with that of a “moustached man”… and his suitcase contains his crown. Babar is quite distressed at his grand opera visit that evening without a crown. So on the hunt they go all around Paris – a great little way to see the Parisienne landmarks.

The very first Babar book has quite text heavy so we often skim it a little as the children want to look at the next pictures. This one however is a shorter one with only 1-2 sentence per page. Great for small people’s concentration spans.As a cautionary note: the very fist book features Babar’s mother being shot and an old King eating poisonous mushrooms – explain that to a 3yrs old! None of that in this book.. and yet both books are much enjoyed by the children.

So.. should Babar’s crown not be found (of course it is)… next time he can make one:

The Craft – Leaf Crown

Pip Squeak adores getting dressed up and loves wearing all sorts of crazy outfits. So I thought this would be perfect for her. Sadly not. She ran a temperature that day and the minute I placed the crown or her weary head started crying. Poor little thing. Hopefully we will be making more of these in the coming weeks and years. And maybe Red Ted will want to try and make one himself soon!

Which means you will have to be happy of a photo with teddy wearing it! (It looked SO cute on Pip Squeak… much nicer than on teddy *sigh*).

leaf crown

1) We used around 12-15 leaves, as our leaves were narrower (the width of an adult hand? But if you use those large beautiful maple or oak leaves or similar, you may only need 7-8?). And try and find leaves with a reasonable amount of “stem”. The first thing you need to do is remove the stem. I removed the stem one at time, so as not to loose them in the windy Autumn weather.

leaf crown leaf crown

2) Take the the leaves and fold about 1/4 to a 1/3 “up” and the place them inside each other. Our crown ended up very big – a bit more like an Indian headdress.. so fold it the leaves more if you want to make the crown smaller. Take one of the stems and “sew” the two pieces together (it is enough to literally just loop the stem in once. You can just about see the “stitch” in the second picture above. Take your next leaf and remove the stem. Fold over and attach…

leaf crown

3) Keep going until you have enough to fit around the child’s head. Secure the last leaf with the first leaf! And done!

leaf crown

4) We found some GORGEOUS red leaves and pinned them into the front of the crown, by just “inserting” them into the front 3 stitches.

Wear your crown with pride.

Or cry like Pip Squeak did.

:-(

Do check out Explore and Express her kids loved them!!!!

For more Kid’s Craft ideas, click here for a full list.

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Kids Craft, Nature

1. Brittany says:

Thanks for hosting! I love the leaf crown!

2. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by our recycled circle tree the other week. I am glad to have found your linky party I have following your blog through e-mail but didn’t realize you had a linky party for kids crafts, so am happy to join in. Placed your button in my pages. Much care to you and enjoy your kiddos today. :)

Brittany – you are welcome!

Becky – aaaah a pleasure, I love visiting all the crafts linked up and hooray for discovering the link up! Yes, it is kind of buried in my Kids Craft post! Sorry!

Thank you :-) I just hope that the next one I make the children will wear!!!

5. maria says:

that’s a lovely crown and those red leaves are gorgeous!

6. Maxine says:

It’s brilliant! That’s this weekend’s craftiness sorted… Autumn queen, here we come! xx

7. Liz Burton says:

That looks so fabulous. Can’t believe you craft on the go – actually, I can believe that!

Love how you’ve colour co-ordinated it to ted’s jumper! x

:-) and yes, I neglect my child on the swing in order to make a crown, which she then doesn’t want to wear… *sigh* and isn’t Teddy simply dashing?!

9. Rachel says:

Ooooo, those leaf crowns are so fun!! What a fabulous idea!

10. Oh did she cry? Bless her! It is so beautiful too! :-)

She was actually poorly… got her home quickly and shortly after getting home, she had high temperature… she is fine again now!

12. That is so cute! How do you think of all these things? xx

13. Minty says:

This is a great one! Love it: G is obsessed with collecting leaves at the moment, so we’ll actually have something to do with them when we get home from our walks! x

14. Jacke says:

Wow. That’s impressive. It turned out gorgeous. Ps. I love Babar too!

15. Rashmie @MommyLabs says:

Love the leafy crown, Maggy. Simple yet so pretty.
    The Babar stories sound interesting! Incidentally, Babar was also the name of a Mughal emperor that ruled India once!

Thank you Rashmie! And that really is interesting! It wouldn’t surprise me if that is who Babar is named after!!!

16. This is an amazing crown! It makes him look like king of an indian tribe.

17. What a cute idea. We have so many red leaves in our backyard, this would be a perfect use…you can never have too many crowns ;-) Thanks for sharing!

Ooh red leaves will look BEAUTIFUL!

And yes, JDaniel4′s Mom, I reckon this would make a great addition to any Cowboys and Indian’s game!

19. Mama Pea Pod says:

Thanks for linking up with us at the Outdoor Play Party, Maggy!

20. We’ve never made one, but I’ve been wanting to! My son LOVES collecting leaves. He can be playing on a playground and see a leaf that he stops for. He always tells me “this is for my scrapbook” Lol. We need to make this! Thank you for posting. I’ve shared and stumbled!

Aah bless him. They are adorable. Mine always says “Mummy, we have to basteln” (yes, mixing German and English, obviously we “craft in German” all the time… hence the word “basteln”)… have lots of fun and thank you for sharing!!

21. Aimee says:

How creative is that? It turned out great! Thank you for sharing this with us on The Sunday Showcase Always great to have you stop by!

22. Such a lovely crown, Maggy! Too bad Pip Squeak wasn’t feeling well enough to enjoy it that day. I’m feature the crown along with some other nature crafts on the Sunday Showcase this week. :)

Awe thank you Trisha for the feature!! And fear not.. we will making these every year!!!

24. Oh, my poor Pip Squeak. Is she more fond of leaf crowns now that she is older?

Such a clever way to make a leaf crown. Thank you for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party.

25. This is SO CUTE! Nonno bear would love one of these – I will have to get collecting :)
    #GetYourCraftOn