How to... Make Juggling Chooks - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… Make Juggling Chooks

| February 10, 2012 | 44 Comments

juggling chickens bean bagsAnother craft I have been meaning to make for aaaages – this cute and fun juggling bean bag chooks!  And there is nothing quite like a 4 year old’s birthday party to get you crafting (check out the Chook Bean Bag Toss)…… What I love about these chooks, is that they look ADORABLE and are surprisingly easy to make. Don’t worry – no complicated alignment of triangles. All you need is one rectangle and some clever sewing! You can machine or hand sew them. I can’t remember where I first saw these adorable pyramid chickens – it may have been on someone’s twitter profile or on etsy, but I did find instructions again on the lovely Anjie’s blog. Anjie has a beautifully crafty blog and she has already guest posted for me twice! So if you don’t know it, it really is worth a visit!

This would be a great project for an older child learning interested in learning to sew!

If you are visiting via Pinterest… why not subscribe to this website (top right hand corner) and never miss a new craft tutorial or idea again. I have so many exciting new crafts coming up for you! Or join me via Facebook to keep up to date!

I thought you may benefit from some additional photos, so I took pictures of my “making process” for you too, as well as a mini side step on how to do a French Knot.

Materials: some larger fabric scraps – approx 20cm x11cm is ideal, but I have used 2 10x10cm squares and that worked too. Some felt for the comb and beak. Embroidery thread for eyes (though you could use buttons, beads or paint them on with acrylics). A little stuffing and rice.

juggling pyramid chicken juggling pyramid chicken

1) Cut out your fabric (20cm x 11cm) and felt pieces (comb, beak, waddle). Place it length wise, pattern side up in front of you and place your felt pieces in top right hand corner. Then fold your fabric up. This way your final seam will run across the back of the chicken. You can have the fabric going width wise – in this case you would have your final seam across the front of the chicken. I think both ways looks nice, but have a slight prefence towards the back! I only realised this effect after making 10 (yes, 10!!, of these chooks!). Be sure not to have the felt comb too close to the right hand edge, as you may sew it by accident.

juggling pyramid chicken

2) Sew across the top and right hand side. Leaving the left hand side open for stuffing.

french knot french knot french knot french knot

3) Add a French Knot for eyes:

(i) Bring needle up from below the fabric.

(ii) Point needle down towards fabric and wrap the thread round 3-4 times. I think I did 4. Don’t do it too tightly though.

(iii) Insert the needle close to the where your needle came up and pull down and through the fabric

(iv) Done!

juggling chickens chicken bean bag chicken bean bag chicken bean bag

4) Here comes the clever bit.  I have seen tretra packs like this. First add a little stuffing to the head (a small hand full?) and then some rice (I was curious, my final chicken weighs 60grammes!! But ahem, I am sure the exact weight doesn’t matter).  The above photo shows the chicken on its side and filled.  Then take the sides and pinch inwards, and some more, creating a new diagonal. Tuck in the fabric. And sew! (I hand sewed this bit as found it easier, but you can machine sew it too!

Ta-daaaaaa

bean bag chicken

juggling chickens bean bags

I warn you.. these bean bag chickens are seriously addictive. I made four chickens to begin with – as Red Ted will be four next week.. Then I snuck off and did another 6… and then I realised I hadn’t taken the right photos for you, so sewed my 11th juggling chicken!! Fancy making one? They would be a great little Easter gift too!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Easter, Gifts, How To's, Recycling, Sewing

1. Kelly Wiffin says:

I love these! I think I will have to try and make them!

2. Now these are just TOO CUTE!!!! Love them! Nice work!

4. The Monko says:

these are so cute. I love juggling and Goblin is always somewhat amazed when i do it for hom, i\’ll have to make myself some of these – I\’m sure Goblin will enjoy \”flying\” chickens too.

Oh yes, perfect for Goblin, I am sure :-)))) I am slowly slowly teaching mine to juggle too – basically we are starting with one Chook and I get him to throw it up and catch it (hard for a 4yrs old). A start…

6. awww, Maggy, they are just too cute! i LOVE them. x

7. Vicky says:

Those are just the cutest things ever. I want a whole flock of them! Just pinned this. Vicky from http://www.messforless.net

8. Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts says:

Love these!! I would love to feature them but I can’t grab the pictures – so I pinned them for all to see. Love love!

9. Donna says:

I love your chickens! I pinned them on my \’I want to make\’ board. Now I\’ve made a knitted one of my own. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. Okay these are so cute! I\’ll have to make some.

11. Alicia says:

This is so cute! Now I know what to do with all my extra rice :)

12. kate says:

just wanted to say thank you for sharing such a fab idea! my 2 year old little boy is in love with anything chicken or egg related so i have made 6 of these for him and 6 for my little girl for a little game to play over easter when we have family round and they look fantastic and are so easy to make!

What a wonderful website you have here! we are going to make your little decorated chicken eggs tomorrow to. have just shown then the pics and they are very excited about making them! x

Oh my, what a truly wonderful and lovely comment to make. I am SOOOO pleased that you have ALREADY made TWELVE of these (that is 2 more than me!!!). They are addictive, aren’t they? Am so pleased you are getting so much fun and joy out of them. Am all happy goosebumpy :-)

13. Cat says:

Oh my gosh they are adorable Red Ted so cute love the fabrics are they hard to do as am sooooo not a sewer :( Wonder if I could do this for my almost 3 yr old at the end of the month and then make the scoop using a milk bottle cut to make the scoops as done in Imagination Tree She made 2 scoops to play with her eldest daughter Great for eye and hand co-ordination

Love them Love them!!

Great work!!

How lovely to have you stop by! The chooks are a great project for “no sewers”, as you can sew them by hand and you only need to sew three sides of one square, if that makes sense? Do give them a go!!

14. Mahbouba says:

15. Alison says:

What a great idea. I love them. I have made 7 this evening. Thank you so much for the wonderfully clear instructions.

16. Chicken Lover says:

Super cute! FYI, it’s spelled wattle, not waddle.

17. terezinha says:

Muito lindas as suas galinhas, com certeza vou tentar fazê-las.

18. Oh WOW! These look more complicated to make then they actually are. Really very simple. Thanks Maggy.

19. Linda Leer says:

I loved making these. I made three polka dot ones for my Miss 7 who wants to juggle. Naturally little sister and brother want some too.

20. Marcia says:

Hello!
    I have had a stack of fabrics waiting in my craft room so I can sew some bean bags for my preschool classroom. Love these little chicken chooks!

My question is this: how do I make them so I can wash them? In group settings we need to be able to wash all manner of ‘things’ off of toys.

My idea is this: make a plastic bag to fit out of a sandwich bag and fill with rice and seal it up. Place inside bean bag. So bean bag is like a sealable bag around it. Velcro to keep chicken closed? The idea being that I can take the fabric off to wash it without the filling getting washed as well.
    I need some suggestions as to the best way to do this. Has anyone tried this before?
    Thanks.
    Marcia
    BC Canada

I think making the filling removable may be the only way? I would also not use felt for the beak and waddle etc, but fabric, as that washes better (Unless you have “wash friendly felt”.

21. Carro says:

I made 3 of these cute chooks yesterday and my 2 youngest (3 & 5) struggled to juggle so spent an hour using them to play hide and seek with ! Fab.

22. ARLINE RADDEN says:

THE LINK FOR THE PATTERN FOR THE JUGGLING CHOOKS NO LONGER WORKS.CAN YOU POST AGAIN?

THANK YOU.